50 gal salt water set-up

SEAF

I have an ad in the market section for filtered UV sterilized seawater. Removed the ad till I do some research.

aaronfeeney

Been sick for a couple days. Today I moved the shellies to the 37 high. drained and rinsed the 50B. Would it be ok to rinse and reuse the sand I had for the shellies? I would rinse it well and mix in a shit lot of aragonite. My other free option is to mix aragonite with brand new white sand. Oh, the old shellie sand is half white , 1/2 black/brown

aaronfeeney

I got some RODI water from a new reefer friend in my area, loaned me a couple books too. got the tank running just saltwater, picking up some LR rubble and a scoop of live sand to "seed " my system, maybe wednesday. also looking to buy some live rock , maybe 20-30 lbs to start.

aaronfeeney

Got a scoop of live sand and a couple pounds of LR rubble today, to seed my tank. also got a clump of feather duster worms and a zoanthid frag. Its amazing how much life is hidden in a couple hunks of rock, I've seen a few brittle stars and some purple polyp things already. Looks like the CL liverock is still there. dude called me tonight , we;ll see if I can get that this weekend :D Here we go!

unconv-reefer

Welcome to the addiction, let me know if you need any advise, what is the tank size and your future plans, Fowlr, corals, soft, SPS.........................I may have missed your intentions if so I apologize

Sounds like a nice start, amazing the life in SW

aaronfeeney

50 gal (see thread title) 36x 18 foot print. I wish to start with easy beginner reef stuff. Advice so far is zoos, mushrooms, some other soft feathery thing was also suggested (and offered free, cannot remember name) basic clean up crew. My children would like to see a pair of clowns, and I want a mandarin Goby (later). eventually asI learn, I like some of the LPS and anemones, Brain corals are bad ass. Damn there is so much cool stuff. I don't really know much about any of them. Learn as I go.

Spyral

Cardinals are nice, but I heard they can be nasty. I have some cool leather corals in my tank now (thanks to unconventional-reefer) and they are growing like mad!

I really can't wait to see how your tank turns out.

aaronfeeney

This guy on CL with the 5 gal bucket of live rock. Is tough to get a hold of. If I can't catch up with him on this weekend, I'm gonna have to pay more elsewhere.

lilfishie

Hey Aaron, I actually got ahold of this guy a couple minutes ago and it weighs in at 19lbs and largest piece is only 6"x2". Its rubble rock. Unless you need some for your sump, Its not worth it.

dawgwe1

aaron - sent you a pm for the following just put on craigs list

Saltwater aquarium live rock and coral - $3 (Mtlkterrace)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-11-05, 9:41AM PDT
Reply to: sale-puks8-2043865674@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have about 60lbs live rock for your saltwater reef aquarium up for sale. Also some corals and fish. I'm asking $3 a lb thanks

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

dawgwe1

It is not rock that I am selling, just found it - wish I was ready to buy some or I would pick some up too.....

aaronfeeney

thanks lil fishie, I don't neeed more rubble. I'll look into your find there dawgwe1, thanks for lookin out guys

Spyral

Aaron, I just picked up a nice HOB refugium, pump and protein skimmer for $50, used, from Mike at Aquarist World in White Center. He has more. Just a heads up, these are about $80 new (not including shipping) from Aqua Traders.