50 gal salt water set-up

aaronfeeney

picked up a bag of salt and a hydrometer today, gotta get 30 gals of RO water next,,, what about the water vending machines at the grocery store? I'd like to set this up on the stand where my planted 37 high is, gotta sell this one off though.

lilfishie

aaronfeeney said:
what about the water vending machines at the grocery store?
NO

It contains different types of salts and chlorines.

Local fish store is a lot cheeper on water.
Glad to hear you're giving it a try.

icer711

go find a sw store like barrier reef or sea horse aquarium they i think sell it for 1-2$ a gallon (pre mixed salt w/RODI water) but some give you breaks the more you buy

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Lilfishie, I think they are wanting RO water more so than the salt mixture. Do you know where that is cheaper to find? I would have gone to petco or petsmart as well, that would have been horrible price to pay. It would cost over 75 bucks to fill up a 30 gallon tank. ICK!!

icer711

dawgwe1 said:
where is seahorse aquarium?
sorry there in Portland (that being said there are a ton of SW stores down here) it always the first name that comes into my head... i was meaning the one off 405 (newcastle i believe) that sits behind a MacDonalds and it entrance for the store is in the back of a building...kinda like a private hide out or at least thats what it felt like lol there only sign is on there door and like 4 parking spots

unconv-reefer

Here is where I'm different, I buy distilled water from the grocery store and mix my own. Eventually I may set up an RO sytem, but haven't yet. Cost is minimal $2.00 for 2 1/2 gallons, I do make sure to read how is distilled and most are R/O.

There is a place in Tacoma, past 512 that sells refiltered water from the Seattle Aquarium for $1.00 a gallon, you just need to add some trace elemants to it, I've used this a few times.

Be careful with the Hydrometer as they aren't always accurate, they tend to read low, which is okay as most people run their SW on the light side anyway.

aaronfeeney

Ok I got an RO/DI filter system and a sump skimmer today( thanks Gosu)
also eliminated plants and selling fish from my 37 g, shellies will move there from the 50B , and the salt water addiction will ensue in the 50 B. Met a reef keeper in my area, who offered some free live rock rubble to start me out. I think I'll take her up on that next week after the move.

Gosu

i think its just an RO unit not sure its RO/DI but your welcome, thanks for the bulbs canister and plants :) 30gal looks wicked now

aaronfeeney

I decided to go with the 50 breeder at 36" wide I've got a twin tube t5ho set up , but will eventually need to add some more wattage.