50 gal salt water set-up

aaronfeeney

those 4 are 25 lbs total, the one on the right is 11 lbs alone. Yes there are a few purple xenia pieces, a zoa frag of some kind, and a single small mushroom. The xenia and zoa came with the live rock rubble, and some feather dusters too. the guy I bought the LR from today tossed in the shroom.

aaronfeeney

hey I just found, what looks like small muscle on a piece of coral. looks just like the ones you find at the ocean attached to rocks.

aaronfeeney

didn't here from that guy, but a buddy of mine quitting the reef hobby sold me a shitload of LR, dead LR and gave me a whole bunch of stuff, the surprise box, he filled it when I was eyeballing his tank.

heres some pics of the new arrangement.

heater looks like hell but I didn't want to bury it permanantly

aaronfeeney

You know, even my 12 YO , who doesn't like my fish tanks much is getting into this one, she's even enjoying chasing LR all over and seeing other reef set ups, Imagining what ours could be. "Dad I like that one, can we have one of those?" Don't have a wife to reign in my spending, but when the daughters are onboard, things can get outta hand quickly. LOL

sandnuka

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO, ive been watching this thread for awhile and saw how long it took you to get this rolling... but the pictures look great... well worth the wait! congratulations! Im excited for you.

aaronfeeney

2nd day with LR amonia, nitrate and nitrite read zero, when will the amonia spike come? and about how long for the brown algae bloom?

lilfishie

You might need to seed the cycle. Did you put a piece of raw shrimp in the tank? It might be a week or two for the spike and then the brown algae can last a long time. Just use a turkey baster and blow it off the rocks and coral. Do you have a magfloat for cleaning the glass? You'll need one. You will use a Magfloat and turkey baster just about every day!

unconv-reefer

You don't always get a spike or algae bloom, especially if starting with live rock in the system. Just keep an eye on the parameters. Some people recommend seeding a tank, personally I never have or wouldn't.

I never had a brown algae bllom in any of my set ups, however, I always started with part live sand, and live rock.

Not trying to go against what Lilfishie says, just another way of doing things.

Good Luck

lilfishie

I agree with you. I never had an ammonia spike either. I started with live rock from an existing tank too. But just being on the safe side I still put food in the tank and waited a couple weeks just to make sure. The good bacteria needs to eat too and if it starts to die off it could cause an ammonia spike too.
What I did was add a piece of raw shrimp and a couple crabs and snails. It all helped IMO.

lilfishie

unconv-reefer said:
Not trying to go against what Lilfishie says, just another way of doing things.
And no worries. I believe you said it before, what worked for me may not work for someone else and what may work for you would be a combination of what worked for others. More info for those asking for it the better informed they are.