Stock change, what was I thinking? More bichirs

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
@DMD123 I didn't think romance was possible for me but I think I just feel in love with Scruffy.
<3<3<3<3<3
Scruffy is such an interesting little fish. Lazy little guy but super interactive at feeding. I use reptile feeding tongs and he will come out and grab krill form the tongs to eat.

I dont know what it is about puffing, maybe its his reflection or something but he puffs up all the time. He is just too cute. One of my favorite fish. Must be since I dedicate a whole tank just for him.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a baby "croc" today..... the fish store in summer has a ton of them 4-6" all little fatties. They also had a real nice koliba at 6.5-7" that I almost bought but I had already dropped a few pennies yesterday on Fitbits for my wife and I so I passed on it.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_9776.JPG IMG_9777.JPG Here are a couple pics for those looking to raise some young guns...(hint hint dmd.... you could use some more haha)
First is koliba second is a pile of endli

FishBeast

Croc was mad at me for cleaning the tank

Hahaha! Bichir tantrum! Cute feller!

FishBeast

Scruffy is such an interesting little fish. Lazy little guy but super interactive at feeding. I use reptile feeding tongs and he will come out and grab krill form the tongs to eat.

I dont know what it is about puffing, maybe its his reflection or something but he puffs up all the time. He is just too cute. One of my favorite fish. Must be since I dedicate a whole tank just for him.
Puffers are almost cichlid-like in intelligence, they have personalities and even hints of, I dare say... "emotion". My buddy has marine Dog-Faced Puffer named Snoop. He feeds him and plays with him like you do with Scruffy!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

Ohhhh I think he's absolutely "Own Tank Worthy". He's awesome. LOL@Abe Lincoln comment.

Maybe you should shoot a video of this shenanigans sometime for the rest of us to see? :D

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
All this puffer chat yesterday....now I know what happened. I left the Co-op with an Amazon Puffer yesterday and a bag full of snails. I would blame Robert - but I know its me. I'm completely entranced with puffers.

@FishBeast - we need some vid of your pal's puffer Snoop too!

Wouldn't a MY PUFFERS CRAZY ANTICS thread be awesome in here?? *hint hint* <== not so subtle

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't a MY PUFFERS CRAZY ANTICS thread be awesome in here?? *hint hint* <== not so subtle

What if you consider the puffer to be completely 'normal' and not capable of 'antics'? lol

This seems completely normal to me....
2j1l6s8.jpg

Wanted to share him in stealth mode. Looks like a completely different fish.
aoakvq.jpg

FishBeast

All this puffer chat yesterday....now I know what happened. I left the Co-op with an Amazon Puffer yesterday and a bag full of snails. I would blame Robert - but I know its me. I'm completely entranced with puffers.

@FishBeast - we need some vid of your pal's puffer Snoop too!

Great idea!! I'll grab a video next time I'm over at his place. He has a Dog-faces and also a Porcupine puffer!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@DMD123 that puffed up pose looks like antics to me! OMG. I can't believe that's the same fish. REALLY? Wow!!

@FishBeast *chants* VID-E-O VID-E-OOOOOO*

I gotta tell you though guys, my little amazon isn't settling in very well I don't think. He's "chasing his reflection" (not what he's doing but what it looks like) CONSTANTLY on one side or the other of the tank. I have a snail in there - he's not ate it yet - and I can't confirm he's actually had a helping of the bloodworms I've been serving. Maybe they take awhile to relax? He makes me anxious watching him ride the glass like that. I feel bad for him.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@DMD123 that puffed up pose looks like antics to me! OMG. I can't believe that's the same fish. REALLY? Wow!!

@FishBeast *chants* VID-E-O VID-E-OOOOOO*

I gotta tell you though guys, my little amazon isn't settling in very well I don't think. He's "chasing his reflection" (not what he's doing but what it looks like) CONSTANTLY on one side or the other of the tank. I have a snail in there - he's not ate it yet - and I can't confirm he's actually had a helping of the bloodworms I've been serving. Maybe they take awhile to relax? He makes me anxious watching him ride the glass like that. I feel bad for him.

lol, yep same fish. Master of camouflage.

My puffer will do the same on occasion and just swim up against the glass, not sure why. But it also does the puffing behavior quite regularly in the evening too, because I think it can see its own reflection and reacts to it. It is believed by some that when puffers display the going up and down the glass behavior that they are 'bored' of their environment and need more decor items to explore. Just a theory I had seen, not sure if I believe it...

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
lol, yep same fish. Master of camouflage.

My puffer will do the same on occasion and just swim up against the glass, not sure why. But it also does the puffing behavior quite regularly in the evening too, because I think it can see its own reflection and reacts to it. It is believed by some that when puffers display the going up and down the glass behavior that they are 'bored' of their environment and need more decor items to explore. Just a theory I had seen, not sure if I believe it...

INTERESTING that you mention this, this morning.

I just rearranged everything in this tank, adding a giant (WTF?) cichlid cave for two tiny electric blue rams (doink @ me). I moved the rocks, the plants, everything; making more interesting surfaces to interact with. Maybe this will help him/her?

On a high note: the snails (i.e. DINNER dammit) are in there singing the hallelujah chorus. I think I saw the littlest one flip me off this morning....

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
<=== is afraid to watch this video

@DMD123 I finally got the guts to watch the video. (I'm just squeamish about watching someone eat someone else.)

That grouper looks like he was actually going "CRAP! DAMMIT! SH&^$!" the way his tail was flapping about after that puffer got away. Brilliant. Makes me love them more.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Good news - Sean Puffy Combs (the puffer - right?) seems to be settling in now. Less glass chasing and he was "involved" in the blood worm portion of the meal this morning. Too, it's not 100% confirmed, but I can only find ONE of the snails.

Honestly, if he ate one of those snails, I would be so hugely relieved and delighted that I might actually have a cataleptic fit.