Stock change, what was I thinking? More bichirs

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Are they friendly at all? Like do they investigate when you have your hand in the tank or do they hide?
They dont interact like cichlids but they do have that sense that feeding time is near and will pop out in expectation. Otherwise they tend to find a comfortable dark corner and hide.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful polys! I have a little 4 inch lap that I am growing out. I drool at your monster size tanks and clear water! Cheers!
Polys are very interesting fish and always a talking point when people see them for the first time. They always have a ton of questions about them. Would love to see pics of your lap...

FishBeast

Polys are very interesting fish and always a talking point when people see them for the first time. They always have a ton of questions about them. Would love to see pics of your lap...

He's still a little guy. Any tips on getting them to grow quickly? He loves his frozen bloodworms.

IMG_9709.JPG

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Nice tall finlets and pattern, should look really good when larger.

For good growth use Hikari sinking carnivore and start feeding frozen tilapia cut up to bite sized pieces.

Really cool to have another poly owner here!

FishBeast

Nice tall finlets and pattern, should look really good when larger.

For good growth use Hikari sinking carnivore and start feeding frozen tilapia cut up to bite sized pieces.

Really cool to have another poly owner here!
Thanks for the tip! Where do you source your specimens? The online place you mentioned only has goldfish right now. I might head down to Wet Spot when it's time to stock the main tank...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Toyin who owns Rehoboth Aquatics has a website that is still being worked on. He sells wild caught polys and they are not cheap, captive born are much more affordable but you can get those wierd captive born traits. The "beer gut", the head structure, even the length of the fish is just a bit "off". Toyin is a hard one to get ahold of and not the greatest communicator. Another option is if you want Toyin fish and good communication use http://unclenedsfishfactory.com/BulletinBoard/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7197

Uncle Neds gets their polys from Toyin.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wet Spot ships up here for about $25... cheaper than the drive

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@FishBeast, where did you get your lap? Looks like a captive born Koliba, these have been hitting the market quite a bit lately. Have never seen any pics of these as big adults just a bunch of growouts is what Ive seen at this point.

FishBeast

@FishBeast, where did you get your lap? Looks like a captive born Koliba, these have been hitting the market quite a bit lately. Have never seen any pics of these as big adults just a bunch of growouts is what Ive seen at this point.
Got it as a semi-impulse buy from Aquarium Paradise. :) I think you're right about there something being "off". He does have a little pot belly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have six polys right now and of those only one is a captive born and that is my teugelsi. When compared to a wild one it is noticable as to the difference. The cb body is a little shorter looking and the head too is shorter. I would love to have a wc teugelsi but too much money right now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A few updated pics

Koliba lap

Faranah Guinea lap

Ansorgii

Weeksii

The sheer size difference between the Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) and the teugelsi

The endli is 18"

FishBeast

He's a cutie. And he's going to get monster big like @DMD123 's gang? Do they have nano-like versions of these gorgeous, gorgeous prehistoric looking fish?
Thanks! [emoji4] There are some species that "only" get to about a foot or so, I think. It would be cool to have them stay small though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishBeast

A few updated pics

Koliba lap

Faranah Guinea lap

Ansorgii

Weeksii

The sheer size difference between the Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) and the teugelsi

The endli is 18"

Gorgeous specimens! Thanks for the link! Toyin seems temperamental hahaha... I think I'll look on aquabid

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
He's a cutie. And he's going to get monster big like @DMD123 's gang? Do they have nano-like versions of these gorgeous, gorgeous prehistoric looking fish?
There are quite a few of the 'upper jaw' bichir that look cool but stay about a foot or less. The senegalus or 'dinosaur eel' is common and you can find them at Petsmart. They are very active and not too expensive. Another one thats pretty active with good pattern is the delhezi. Then you have the palmas complex and moke which also are on the smaller side. But you never know, you could get that one poly that gets freakishly large.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Gorgeous specimens! Thanks for the link! Toyin seems temperamental hahaha... I think I'll look on aquabid
Thanks, been very happy with my group.

Toyin is super difficult to deal with. The two times I ordered direct from him I had no clue if he even shipped. He will ship and then later that night send you the tracking, so the whole time your wondering 'are my fish coming tomorrow?' But he does have awesome bichir.

Wet spot does carry pretty regularly a Volta endli which is fairly small and wild caught. These really look good when they grow up.

FishBeast

Got an ornate and albino sen yesterday! Both babies from Midway. Wet spot looks like the way to go then for the delhezi and the endli to round out the group!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Watch the ornate, they tend to be bullies and pick on other polys that are smaller than them. Also feed well, these small polys tend to be cannibals and will eat other polys they can fit in their mouth. That said my worry would be for the albino sen, they just do not get that large in comparison to the others you have. I think the largest Ive seen is maybe 8" and the lap and endli can hit 16"-18" without much problem. So this size difference can be a problem or you might have easy going polys and have zero issues.

Here is a little Wet Spot info for you. They do not keep all the fish they have in the store. They have another location they ship out from. So if you order online you can usually request the characteristics you want and they can check their inventory and get you what you are looking for. In store they may have one endli but in their other location may have many. This was kind of why I suggested ordering online instead of driving there, bigger pool to choose from. Also only about $25 to have them ship it. With the endli I would say splurge on a wild caught if possible. The difference is very noticeable as adults. When young they seem okay but as they age the head has a weird shape and they tend to look a bit short. Delhezi captive born can get that 'beer gut' too so another fish I would say splurge on wild caught.