Yard work...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Been difficult to get my concrete guy on the job, too many issue on his side. We are supposed to start tomorrow but will see...

My nightmare radio tower pad is to be broken out and removed
IMG_20220606_164138884.jpg
It is dated 7/17/75 and has a child's footprint and handprint
IMG_20220606_164123005.jpg
I removed the existing walkway and moved a sprinkler head in preparation for the new walkway
IMG_20220527_184708133.jpg
Hopefully we begin the demo tomorrow...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was good to see you @FishBeast!

Well due to issues with weather my concrete project again delayed. Monday is our new start day which I think will happen since there was a delivery of gravel for the base. Once the patio is poured then I can figure out where to move a couple sprinkler heads and to finalize some landscaping ideas. I want to plant two more trees to act as shade but not sure as to the space I have for them until the concrete is in place.

One of the trees of interest would be a coral bark maple and then possibly a different variety.

This one:460C3C87-83A8-47DC-9940-82071D26CE3E.png67BE6FA5-BF8F-4FCF-BE07-20B368016561.jpeg
Of course a ridiculously priced Japanese maple but love the look so likely if it fits my spot then will add.

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The coral bark maple has always been one of my favourites; the downside is that they are quite expensive, and little ones grow slowly.

What's the second one? I assume that's Fall color? Really pretty.

I have a small Japanese Maple that is very pale green in summer and practically fluorescent orange in the Fall; I'd have to go through my records to find which cultivar it is. This pic was taken in October, and not retouched; in life it's even more dramatic-

IMGP5585.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I love the coral bark maples and any Japanese maple. I have 3 Japanese and 2 vine maples planted out back. The vine turn bright red in the fall.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I love the coral bark maples and any Japanese maple. I have 3 Japanese and 2 vine maples planted out back. The vine turn bright red in the fall.

Yes, lots of gardeners pooh-pooh vine maples, but I've never been able to figure out why. Some of them turn brilliant red or orange in the Fall, like these-

IMGP5587.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had a nice vine maple at our last house that I had really enjoyed but couldn’t take it with us when we moved. Since Im in the house I will retire in, Im kind of splurging on a few choices species that I really like this time around. Also I dont have much room left to plant much else, lol.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Still waiting on my concrete guy... supposed to be tomorrow to start

A few new plants and moved one plant

The new are a couple grasses, i wanted these in particular due to the fact this side of the house is shaded and more wet. These are Japanese forest grass. Will get to be about 3' and 2' little mounds with kind of a bamboo look to them.
IMG_20220620_155352497_HDR.jpg
The one grass in the forefront replace a coral bell that was not doing well in the shaded area. Moved that to the back.
IMG_20220620_155524230_HDR.jpg
This plant is the same age as the other two! It was on the shaded side of the house and barely grew! should fill in and form a nice bit of color in front of the lantern.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Also stopped by Portland Ave. nursery in Tacoma and got this new trellis for a clematis near our front door. the plant is way out of control and we need this bigger trellis to keep it in scale to what it needs. problem is I need to put posts in and move plant out slightly... work, work, work
IMG_trel.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My backyard concrete patio job started today! Finally got the numbers figured out, paperwork signed and my contractor was out this morning with the jack-hammer. Will likely leave work on my lunch break to go look at progress. Excited! Been a long time that we wanted to do this.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Forms up!
162A011D-7969-404C-BA2A-FB6BB1ECEB3E.jpeg
Round step out the door
3F1C4D5A-FC37-4F57-88DB-EF4407850426.jpeg
Walkway wider all the way down to the garbage cans
AA87B436-FBBF-43B5-B559-71CDCCA95236.jpeg
Monday or Tuesday for the pour…

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
going to do a light broom finish and a few simple break lines. should kind of look this this
IMG_20220623_182124917.jpg