Yard work...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
This poor tree cant get a break. The tree was burned from that ridiculously hot day a while back, despite the constant watering throughout the day. It was just planted this year so not fully rooted to boot. Now you can see the lean? This is now the 3rd time some critter has laid it over looking for I presume worms or grubs under the roots.
-2931801473329662065.jpg
So I put multiple stakes around it yesterday and lightly tied it up to try and give it a fighting chance. It roots are alive and healthy and despite the burn is still strong.

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
This poor tree cant get a break. The tree was burned from that ridiculously hot day a while back, despite the constant watering throughout the day. It was just planted this year so not fully rooted to boot. Now you can see the lean? This is now the 3rd time some critter has laid it over looking for I presume worms or grubs under the roots.
View attachment 10067
So I put multiple stakes around it yesterday and lightly tired it up to try and give it a fighting chance. It roots are alive and healthy and despite the burn is still strong.
I'm just beginning to see symptoms of stress-induced damage from the hot, dry summer in several of the plants in my garden. Not much to be done now except to water and allow the root systems to recover over the winter. I always try to remind myself that the most important part of any plant is underground. :thumbsup

sir_keith

Legendary Member
On a happier note, I had some garden visitors this morning at sunrise. Don't mind all the reflections: I took this pic from inside my bedroom...

IMG_3887.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Next challenge is to finish the fence before major weather change. The first pic shows how far I got.
793725193151526498.jpg
Second shot is the water bleaching from the sprinklers I need to work on...
8649449565221398640.jpg
So 5 panels left to stain (both sides) but water marks need to be worked on with about 3 1/2 of those panels. I got a special wash solution to try first then if that dont work I will try a light sanding. Then if that dont work I read of a half peroxide/water mixture to try. I know it wont be perfect but I know it will look weird if I dont try and blend it in better. Ive been working on sprinkler heads but I need 8' nozzles in two spots and and all the stores seem to be out of stock at the moment.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I did a wood cleaner/brightener on the fence and it looks a bit less noticeable on the bleaching effect of the sprinkler over-sprayIMG_20210912_093218970.jpg
IMG_20210912_093231911.jpg
I was hoping to stain some more today but the wet weather slowed me down.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I stained 2 3/4 panels both sides so now I just have the last two panels to go and then done with the staining!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A0D70B49-AAFE-4BD6-84A1-0504DAE4FFCD.jpeg
I was going to finish today but rain expected… so I am patiently waiting

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
FINISHED! Staining of all new fence and gates done, yay!
IMG_20210916_074515640 (1).jpg
If I get some stepping stones placed this week/weekend then I accomplished all I set out to do for the summer and then some!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great! :thumbsup
Thank you! Was a ton of work this year but well worth it, the yard feels so much nicer and the backyard has a sense of privacy now.

If we save up some money next year we may take out that huge chunk of concrete and also pour a new back patio. But in the meantime I have tons of little projects I still want to finish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Took the day off to finish up projects…
702368B4-FEF5-48D2-A947-3EF11F7C34E9.jpeg
5212AD4C-CEEC-4425-90AE-5FD4B7735D8F.jpeg
Pathway is done. The area needs a couple more plants to fill in empty areas but done with planting this year. Everything was put in the ground that was planned and then some! If I feel ambitious the sprinkler needs work but Ive already turned multiple zones off so no big deal now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot I had one plant in a pot that was to be put in on the side yard.

This one
IMG_20210610_123015098_HDR (1).jpg
Very cool looking plant!
IMG_20210610_123017938_HDR (1).jpg
These are all areas where I feel plants could go. Thinking this plant will be to the left of the fence in the larger opening there.
IMG_20210920_161151301.jpg

Betty

Staff member
The fence looks really nice. (I'm trying to see your gate hardware.)
I had a couple of posts and a gate replaced several months ago and they did not do a good job on the gate. The hinges they used don't seem adequate. With this recent rain, the wood has swollen and I couldn't even get it to close. :mad:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@Betty, my gate hardware was just Lowes stuff. The one where it is a single gate is a self close hinge and the latch is easy to work from both sides. Even with the seal and stain, Ive got a little sticking in the double gate side. This weekend I finished installing hook and eyes to hold gates open that are frequently used.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wet weather was causing the double gate to swell and hang up a bit on each other. On Sunday I stopped ant Lakewood Hardware and bought an old fashioned block plane and then took a few passes to remove excess material and then cover those spots with stain. Will see how this works as it gets even wetter out this winter. I need to get in and out this side regularly to take out the trash, yard waste, recycling bins to the main street.

Now Im settling in for the winter thinking about next years spring yard projects.

Betty

Staff member
I used a plane on mine too and can get it to close now. I've had to do that a couple of times, only taking a little bit off each time. Still need to get some better hinges.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Getting ready for an El Niña winter, with a firewood delivery today. Two hours to get it stacked up at four different locations around my property (the pile is bigger than it looks). Ouch! Perhaps some prophylactic Tylenol tonight? Wait! Hold the Tylenol; break out the Tanqueray!

IMG_4152.jpg