Yard work...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The bit of rain and overcast weather has sure helped the lawn perk up. Been having to mow a bit more but everything looks great. Always unfinished projects in the yard but been a bit lazy with those things, just keeping everything watered, clean and trimmed.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I finished up my yard leaf clean up in my front yard. My Bloodgood dropped all its leaves already along with my other maples. I have a little to clean up in the back yard still. This year the maple in my front yard has awesome color, I wish I got a pic before it dropped all its leaves.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I finished up my yard leaf clean up in my front yard. My Bloodgood dropped all its leaves already along with my other maples. I have a little to clean up in the back yard still. This year the maple in my front yard has awesome color, I wish I got a pic before it dropped all its leaves.
Interesting that maples seem to drop their leaves at different times depending on the local environment. The bloodgood maple in my front yard (shown above) has lost maybe 25% of its leaves so far, if that, but another of the same age in my back yard is completely bare already.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting that maples seem to drop their leaves at different times depending on the local environment. The bloodgood maple in my front yard (shown above) has lost maybe 25% of its leaves so far, if that, but another of the same age in my back yard is completely bare already.
My maples were interesting as to the order in which they dropped leaves. My coral bark in the backyard is in a very open area and it was first to drop, but the unknown maple in the front thats out in the open kept the leaves the longest. My bloodgood and Lileeanne maple kept leaves for a long time but both of those tree have fences nearby that seems to offer the tree some protection from the elements. They still dropped leaves before the unknown maple in the front yard.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was talking with my neighbor as I was raking leaves the other day, and I mentioned how I was regretting not planting evergreens... we had a good laugh. He was nice enough to clean up a little bit of leaves in the side yard for me, having felt guilty since they were off his big tree. I really like my maples so I dont mind the leaves and the color this year as I had mentioned was quite intense so very beautiful to look at for that short period of time.

On my list of to do's involves a lilac that has gotten very big. I have shaped it over the years to a nice vase shape but it is very old, woody and not very nice when in flower. Thinking of a hard core prune or to remove it altogether and plant something else. This was one of the few existing plants that we kept and it really is ugly. The placement isnt that great either, a couple more feet back and it would have made a nice privacy bush so I wouldnt have to look in the neighbors window. But its not in an ideal location either...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Finished up repair to plumbing on my back wall. Had to do this because original install had been improperly done and pipes would freeze regularly during the winter when temps hit 20.
IMG_20240227_072635312.jpg
Took time to lightly sand the siding so that the new panels match the original stuff from back in the 60's. It looks really close now, you cant really tell this was the new construction. Now the other panels from our big remodel stick out like a sore thumb, lol. This means Im going to sand a couple of those down and repaint so it looks more original.
IMG_20240320_073701883.jpg
While it was all getting done we added a light switch and an outlet up near the top, under the eves so we could do our outdoor string lights.

Took time to get front porch all planted too.
IMG_20240314_173815665.jpg

BPSabelhaus

Decide to just chat about yard work, lol. Been doing tons of it and have made many recent trips to the nursery for plants. thought I would post some of what Ive been working on.

Redid a space up in front of the hose and kind of made it into a rock garden. Got the concrete fish recently to complete the look.
View attachment 8965

Added this little thing to my front bed, it is a dwarf that will get like 3 ft... in 10 years!
View attachment 8966
I think this may be the parent of the little dwarf, lol
View attachment 8967

This one is one my wife wanted, will take some years to look like much
View attachment 8968

Have a bloodgood maple to still put in ground and some other stuff but this has been my spring yard projects.

Anyone else doing any interesting yard stuff?

Land aquascapes? I dabble lol

BPSabelhaus

For Medakas?

lol

To keep the mosquitoes down, of course ;)

1000011728.jpg

Pretty happy with how this is going. All recovered materials from various projects or Craigslist / offer up free section. It's roughly 60g and a leftover kennel from a renovation we did at the wife's old clinic. Kept one of the large ones and scrapped the rest. Wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do with it, but it's been a couple years so use it I did.

At some point I would like to add tile work around the top. Just a nice edge around the top inside and out with the covered section done with an orangeish blob that was supposed to be a goldfish lol

But for now, I got some strawberries from a neighbor putting in a new patch. They can cover it with runners and do berries whenever. The sticks are hazel I'm rooting (hopefully) that I'm going to use at the nature park I steward in the neighborhood. Clearing out blackberries and ivy, replacing with hazel, alder and willow where appropriate or black cap raspberry and native trailing blackberry.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been doing some moss treatments to shed roof and lawn. Need to hit lawn again and possibly try to thatch... really no fun. I need to edge out the lawn in the back yard a bit, starting to get a little unruly around perimeter.

Did some pressure washing around back yard getting it ready for the summer. Opened up the grill and realized I should have cleaned it BEFORE putting it away for the winter, it is really gross! :sick

Also putting down Spring fertilizer on my Japanese maples and evergreen trees to spruce them up.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Mowed the backyard yesterday before the rain. Had done moss treatments on both front and back yard so now I need to do some thatching to get that dead stuff out, ugh not fun. Got the grill all cleaned up for the season and am supposed to do the test tonight by grilling up some burgers.