Yard work...

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
The sod looks nice!
Thanks; I've been wanting to do this project for a while. It would be crazy expensive to do the big lawns in the front yard, but I wanted this little one in the back yard to be nice because we're always out on the deck. Happy with how it turned out. Now back to the fish room project... :whistle

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
One thing missing from our yard are larger hardscape items like rocks. I would love to get maybe 3 or 4 larger pieces that would require some equipment to bring in. Not sure it that will ever happen but got some spots on mind. Seen some for free on Nextdoor but usually just too small...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Before
IMG_0105.jpg
After
IMG_20210608_164423297_HDR.jpg
A favorite tree when larger... still so little
IMG_20210608_164504282.jpg
Just added this
IMG_20210608_164655800.jpg
This looks like something from Alien
IMG_20210608_164725031.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Found a plant of interest but walked away from because I had not researched it... hopefully still at store
IMG_20210610_123017938_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210610_123015098_HDR.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Of all the places to carry this weird plant, it was an Ace Hardware by my work. I went back to the store today and the last plant was still there, so I got it. Will be planting this one in our side yard area with the Bloodgood maple

sir_keith

Legendary Member
One thing missing from our yard are larger hardscape items like rocks. I would love to get maybe 3 or 4 larger pieces that would require some equipment to bring in. Not sure it that will ever happen but got some spots on mind. Seen some for free on Nextdoor but usually just too small...
If you look at the pics I posted earlier of my sod installation- and also the pic below- you will see several reasonably-sized rocks in my back yard. None of these rocks required any heavy equipment to bring them in, just my usual landscape crew and a big rock dolly. Food for thought...

IMG_2950.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A future project, need to build a bigger trellis, store bought one is way too small
IMG_20210613_200357563_HDR.jpg

Was surprised to see flowers on a Gardena we planted this year. This was something my wife really want to have but I know can be a challenge in our area.
IMG_20210613_200038557_HDR.jpg

Betty

Staff member
Those pesky rabbits. They get into my plants too. And the deer -- they jump the fence and get in the vegetable garden as well. :mad:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The deer have not been as much an issue this year but lots of bunnies. The first one looked to be a big male and was eating the clover and some other weed type thing in the lawn so I let it be. The second looked to be a female and I caught her eating the ornamental grass so I chased her away. The third one looked to be a young one who does not really fear people, seemed to be eating just lawn related stuff so I let it be.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
This is the only part of the yard that does not require any work, except for clearing out fallen branches every year or so. It's a natural conifer grove, and the coolest place in the yard on hot summer days, thus the hammock. :)

IMG_3044.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@sir_keith, looks so calm and peaceful.... need to add some lawn ornaments

A group of these would fit perfectly in that little clearing, lol
scout-trooper-and-speeder-bike_star-wars_silo.png