Who's heading to the GSAS auction?

Madness

Staff member
I get all this and understand the bidding. My concern is if I am 3 hours late to it is it worth the drive

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Madness,

Because of the way the auction is structured, the "good stuff" continues to be auctioned throughout the entire auction period.....not just at the beginning or end. There will be plenty of "good stuff" left after 3 hours. Actually, the better deals and lower prices tend to happen near the end when everyone is starting to get worn out - lol

sandnuka

wish I could go, I just dont have the tanks like I used to... and if i went I would buy way too much stuff..... then I would need more tanks... then my wife would divorce me..... so, just decided not to go. :(

gobluecichlids

sandnuka said:
wish I could go, I just dont have the tanks like I used to... and if i went I would buy way too much stuff..... then I would need more tanks... then my wife would divorce me..... so, just decided not to go. :(
I don't find too many couples share the same hobby.. I heard that once from my wife before, she says i love the fishes more than her..

I don't buy or bring much stuff home. last time i only spent $8. It was fun watching some fools would pay way more for some items that could be found somewhere cheaper..

My advice on the auction, never buy store brands or cheap used heaters. Not worth it, the temp could get stuck on high and can't turn it down. Better off get a good one than cook your expensive collection.

Madness

Staff member
I had a girlfriend for 3 years that wanted to get married and have me get rid of my hobby. Lets just say I still have the hobby and not her. :) I am sure some day maybe, but so many people dont want to share time. I had the same problem when my boys were young. Woman wanted me to pay more attention and time to them and less with my kids. That didnt work either.

So I guess that I am destined to be single. Bring on more tanks. :cheers:

aquaman95

My gf loves how i love fish and would do anything for me if i needed it and i have finally showed her how to (do)her tank the right way its starting to come along.And i had one who was not into gaming and that does not fly... she had to go

Kaosu

ahaha..wish i could go!!

as for the other half...he was reluctant at first

3 years later and he is as obsessed with it as me ..has his own 7 gallon and he just set up his very own 40 tall!! ^_^

I got him addicted to the Killifish...witch I love as well..Im lucky he is ok spending most of our money on fish...as well as taking almost everything accept the bed and comp desk out of our room to fit 8 tanks !

<3.....im so lucky ^_^ I think i found a keeper!!

Ratlova30

lol...

I was just thinking to myself how it would be hard to find someone that would be okay with the furniture slowly departing the house to make room for tanks. Since giving up my fish room, things around the house have moved out of it. Had a huge sectional and recliner in the living room, and my mother came home to a loveseat size portion of it left and the recliner. I'm working it down to just a recliner. Even the television in the living room was removed.... To be fair it was because I needed a spot for her fish tank...

I'm certainly lucky to have a mother that is so chill.

Madness

Staff member
Kaosu, Im glad to hear a success story. I know so many men and women that are handcuffed on the hobby and what they would like to do, because their spouse/mate wont allow it.

Aquaman your still so young. You better hope she sticks around, cause finding another that is in to it, isnt easy.

Well, back to the topic at hand. Yes I am going and I hope to come home with many goodies.

Betty

Staff member
See you there (maybe) madness. I go to these meetings and never know if I'm sitting right next to a member from fishbox. :)

Ratlova, I know what you mean about the furniture disappearing. I keep thinking that we never eat in the dining room, so why keep the furniture? I'm lucky that my husband doesn't care if I keep bringing tanks and fish home. And even luckier that he isn't into the hobby as well. I can't imagine that being a good thing -- I like doing things my way. :violent:

Ratlova30

IDK I think it would be fun to have a partner that's into fish keeping. I mean you get to share the enjoyment and the water changes!

aquaman95

Aquaman your still so young. You better hope she sticks around, cause finding another that is in to it, isnt easy.
I know how hard it is i have ended relationships with 3 girls over my hobby's.I have had this one for almost 5 years and i do not see her going anywhere lol.your's is out there madness shes just hiding in some LFS somewhere lol .

I've had g/fs who humor my hobby. But never get into it as much as me. Tried to get one her own tank. It lasted a few months befor i had to take over care and maintanance. ... As for the auction. its good to know what an avarage retail prices is for the item your bidding on. People can get caught up in the moment and can pay well over retail. If they do name tags again ill draw a small box in the corner to id me as a site user

Madness

Staff member
not a bad idea HorOB. (name is to long)lol. I will do the same, and put an M in it, or if enough room, or if I can, I will put madness on it in the corner.

fishman09

Aww to be with someone who's okay with my obsession. She's even okay with a tank in the babies room. She's been with throughout my whole process to a little 20 gallon to a full fledged fishroom and even bought me a 125 for valentines day :) livin the life

i went, i bought some seachem matrix and food off the fixed price table. for a great price. also picked up one plant thats new to me. besides that just sold items. worked a side deal. enjoyed the show for the most part, wasnt really looking for anything special.