Who's heading to the GSAS auction?

gobluecichlids

Heads up, let us all know who's heading to the auction! Give us chance to carpool or find out who's bringing in fish.

Here is what I can bring to the meet for sale:
Moori Dolphin adult males or pairs
tangerine tiger juvies
Polit 1.5"
Borleyi 1"
Metraclima Aurora 3/4"-1"
adult breeding group albino eureka reds of 10 (1m/9f)
young adult group of sunshine peacocks 2m/6f
sunshine males

Wild Karema frontosa group of 5, big!
wild Tropheus Chilanga group of 16-17

aquaman95

i am not able to make it my gf is not trying to make the journey .i am so mad i could rip her head off and drink her blood lol jk

Betty

Staff member
Not positive yet, but I will probably be there. Bringing money to buy stuff that I really don't need and have no room for. :)

Madness

Staff member
I may be showing up later. How does the auction normally work? Is it a silent auction? And how long do they wait to award the winners? I cant get there till after noon, and can only stay for a couple hours.

Betty

Staff member
Madness, the way they normally do it is to give you a card with your member or guest number on it. When something comes up that you'd like to bid on, you hold your card up and keep it up until you win or reach the limit you want to pay. If you win, the item is brought to you right away and you pay before you leave. I think they might be able to take your payment early if you don't stay for the entire auction.

Madness

Staff member
So its a long slow auction, and if the item you want is towards the end, you have a long wait? Not sure I can waste a whole day on this, I may have to re-think this.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Madness,

Certainly not slow; typically 2 - 3 items are sold per minute! For a $1 you can "bump" an item to the front of the queue and it will go up for bid quickly.

Madness

Staff member
So bidding starts at 10, I can't even get there till probably 1. Would it still be worth the trip? I mean will the action be pretty much over by then?

gobluecichlids

I think it will run till 3-4 pm.. by then some would have spent all their money.. it plays different at several auctions.

Sometimes bargains are found at the beginning of the auction as some bidders would want to wait till the end of the day to get cheap deals..only to find out everyone is doing it and all wind up paying more.

Sometimes I get good deals in the first hr while people come in later.

I think the fish sales go early.

Madness

Staff member
The fish would be the only reason I would go, and if I miss the first 3 hours, I guess it may not be worth it. I guess we will find out come Saturday what my mood is. LOL

im going. i have some side deals to hand off. i'll be selling some plants and fish maybe some small equipment...and i will be using the dollar push system to bring items up early that im interested in. I dont have anything im particularly looking for but some times you can find some gems that spark your interest. I enjoy the crazyness of all the people and people watching is fairly fun .There is something about being in a room full of fellow hobbiest that is great. Makes my hobby / obsession feel more normal.

Madness

Staff member
I love to people watch also. I just wish I could get there when the auction starts. 3 hours late kinda blows.

if you know someone you trustwith your money thats going maybe you could send them with a list of items and max bid prices and have them bid for you..

gobluecichlids

madness said:
With never having been to one, I wouldn'tknow what or where to start
when you go in, register first to get a numbered card. Use that card and waive in the air if you want to bid, the prices keeps going up till the last person puts the card down. When you are done with the auction, return the card to the registerer and pay for your items.

Just watch the crowd and you'll learn pretty quick. Sometimes there's people bid like crazy for some really worthless stuff. Sometimes there are bins of miscelaneous fish junk auctioned off by the bin. Other crazy moments i see like a $1 ornament from a garage sale would fetch $20+ at the auction.

Betty

Staff member
madness said:
With never having been to one, I wouldn'tknow what or where to start
The first time I didn't either, but it doesn't take long to figure it out.

I think there are going to be some pretty good items to bid on at this event. Besides members selling all sorts of equipment, fish and plants, sometimes national companies also donate things and I've been to some of the auctions where local sponsor stores have also donated.