Whats new with you cichlid keepers?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Do you think a bunch of too fast to be eaten, cheap dithers might help (like giant danios)?
Might, right now the dominant hoga chases the other two and the large bala the most. Almost like I need some convicts or something for it to go at.

How did you turn those into killers so fast? Haha

They would bicker, but never killed anything in my 180
They havent killed anything but the constant chasing makes for a super uneasy time when watching the fish. I think that if there were more cichlids the aggression would be spread and the brunt of it would not fall on just a few. I went through this when I tried raising the three wc Columbia Oscars. I think your big zo kept all the others in check. I haven’t had time to do much else but feed and water change. Hopefully I get time to reduce the tank stock a bit and see how it goes.

Betty

Staff member
I hope they calm down soon. Keeping African cichlids all these years, I know how stressful it is to watch that aggression and nothing you try helps.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Noticed a spot on the largest hoga's head. Either it hurt itself or start of hole in the head. Probably a lot of stress with the move because they looked awesome when I got them. Plugging away with some extra water changes and keeping a watch on it.

Looking at the fish individually I seem to notice that the littlest one seems to have the most potential for color. Even though it is the last one in the pecking order it tends to show the most red.

Really tough call as to which one to keep. The dominate one has a lot of spunk but is a huge bully, it also has an overall nice shape with the look of the nuchal hump starting up. The middle one is a tad calmer and almost able to stand up to the bully. It looks good but nothing significant. The last one is the weakling and gets chased by both of the others, but wow the reds are really good on it.

Tank seems to be calmer as they settle in, aggression is still there and the balas look rough but maybe a just tad calmer...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The hoga head spot looks to have only been a gouge that healed right up. I still cant get these guys to eat well. I have tried the different pellet foods with very little interest and they haven’t really even went for the bloodworms or brine shrimp with much more than a little peck here and there. The little one has interacted with me the most and seems the most interested in eating. Just a little update.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Update... Im done with these guys. Aggression has extended to the bichirs. My two largest have tails chewed on. Caught the largest hoga going at it. Going to see I can rehome these guys in the next couple days. Need to go back to a easier going cichlid... maybe a oscar? Anyway soon to be a non-cichlid owner again.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Update... Im done with these guys. Aggression has extended to the bichirs. My two largest have tails chewed on. Caught the largest hoga going at it. Going to see I can rehome these guys in the next couple days. Need to go back to a easier going cichlid... maybe a oscar? Anyway soon to be a non-cichlid owner again.

Wow; I never thought I'd hear an Oscar described as 'easy going.' :blush I guess everything is relative...

With most Africans, aggression is highly ritualized and limited to conspecifics, and only rarely is any real damage done. Much easier to cope with. But I do understand the attraction of big Neotropicals...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive only had one oscar that I would call aggressive and it was a wild caught. Even the F2 'Bumblebee' Oscar from Rapps was pretty mellow. I guess I have had 'easy' Oscars. My issue with the Hoga is not the aggression among themselves since they have the pecking order pretty much figured out with no real damage to each other. The real issue the the fin nipping/chomping on my expensive bichirs. This behavior would like be non-existent with an Oscar, thus my 'easy going' comment. I probably should try and find another pearsei...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Decided on a new cichlid game plan. I bought a 20L from the $1 per gallon sale at Petco. I am going to set this up with a divider and move the two aggressive hoga into it and let the smallest have the 300g and see how it acts. It has been the most interactive with me and responsive. If it turns out to be a male and shows promise then I will rehome the other two. If it just becomes the new bully then it gets rehomed with the rest.

FishBeast

Oh no! Bad hogas! Datnoid time!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no! Bad hogas! Datnoid time!
I saw an awesome NGT dat online and when I went back to the site... well you know, gone. I need to be more impulsive and just buy when I see what I want

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The hoga seemed to have mellowed some. Im not seeing bite marks on poly fins and the balas are healing up. I think it was new territory going into the big tank with no other cichlids and they had to figure things out. So now Im just letting them grow out but I do have the 20L set up and available for whatever is needed.