Whats new with you cichlid keepers?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Let me know what you’d like..... I’ll hunt for them. And if I have them, I’d love to give you one to see if that’s the one.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been thinking a Midas... found some F1 on Aquabid. Problem is that they are all so small that they would likely become bichir food. I dont want to set up a grow out tank but that might be what I have to do... lol, wife will love that (sarcasm)

At this point just looking at something from amphilophus family. Trying for solo male.

Paintguy

Been a while since I have posted on here, but still have 3 tanks going at home and 2 at my Moms place.

50 gal : 3 large clown loaches (15 years old maybe), 3 male salousi, and misc other community in there for her as well as a 10 gal for snails and pineapple sword tails.

80 gal: 6 WC geophagus (not red heads but beautiful), clown loaches and a couple raphael cats I need to rehome.

50 gal: in limbo with a bn pleco and a couple of cribs. Extra male sword tails just to keep some movement with live plants.

45 gal: bn plecos possibly to mate some day, an old yoyo loach, rescued neons, and more pineapple sword tails. This is my plant tank too.

good to see this site continue.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been a while since I have posted on here, but still have 3 tanks going at home and 2 at my Moms place.

50 gal : 3 large clown loaches (15 years old maybe), 3 male salousi, and misc other community in there for her as well as a 10 gal for snails and pineapple sword tails.

80 gal: 6 WC geophagus (not red heads but beautiful), clown loaches and a couple raphael cats I need to rehome.

50 gal: in limbo with a bn pleco and a couple of cribs. Extra male sword tails just to keep some movement with live plants.

45 gal: bn plecos possibly to mate some day, an old yoyo loach, rescued neons, and more pineapple sword tails. This is my plant tank too.

good to see this site continue.

Cool! Good to hear from you. Glad to hear your still at too.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well, back in the cichlid game thanks to @lloyd378. I have three amphilophus hogaboomoram to raise out. Looking to just keep a solo one after they settle in and I get to see who gets along with all the bichir.

Thank you @lloyd378 for the fish. Will take some pics when they settle in.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest, baddest one of the bunch
img_20190909_184810092_burst001-jpg.1387677

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest guy is establishing the fact he is in charge. Nipping at the other two and at the bala sharks... lol. Big personality for sure!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The biggest guy is establishing the fact he is in charge. Nipping at the other two and at the bala sharks... lol. Big personality for sure!

Not sure why but your pictures are not loading. I googled the species though and they look interesting.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure why but your pictures are not loading. I googled the species though and they look interesting.
Not sure... Maybe because I posted my pics on another site and it didnt like it?

Will try it again when I get some cleaner shots

FishBeast

Well I am no longer a cichlid keeper... my big Porkchop the pearsei passed this morning. QQ

She was 16" from lips to tail. She was at least 9 years old and a fun fish to have over the years. Not even sure what I want to do now.
:(:(:( Sorry for your loss. She really had a big personality to match her Porkchop looks. Treasure the memories and also your beautiful photos!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
:(:(:( Sorry for your loss. She really had a big personality to match her Porkchop looks. Treasure the memories and also your beautiful photos!
Thank you, I miss her already. She was so calm and easy. She would follow me the length of the tank and then wait for me to come back from around the corner. Very interactive fish when she was younger.

Gonna be a looker for sure as he matures!
Yeah, I think it has a lot of potential too.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So sorry for the loss of Pork Chop. I think the little "muffin top" was a favorite here.

I can't see the image either.
Thank you Betty, the ‘muffin top’ was so much fun over the years. She was a big part of our family. The new ‘replacements’ are very high strung little puppies... cant wait till they mellow with age, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Lets see if this works... pictures of the hoga
IMG_20190909_184810092_BURST001.jpg IMG_20190909_185641357_BURST000_COVER_TOP (2).jpg IMG_20190909_185650359.jpg IMG_20190909_185712444.jpg
Hopefully they show up... Not super clear but you get an idea (If the pics show, lol)

Betty

Staff member
I can see these -- looking good. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing some in madness's fishroom and liked the way they looked. So much more impressive in real life.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I can see these -- looking good. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing some in madness's fishroom and liked the way they looked. So much more impressive in real life.

These originally came from madness and then made their way to @lloyd378 and now to me. Interestingly these were not from Madness pair but I guess a different batch from back East. Looks much more like the Hoga Mo Dvlin had pictures of, who knows maybe originated from him. The ones madness and Forrest aka cichlidman09 had were different looking with more yellow than red.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well a one week update on the hoga... the tank is a war zone. Ready to rehome the lot of them. Chasing going on all over the tank and the largest bala looks horrible due to the dominant hoga going at him too. Not sure if I rehome the other two if he would settle or then just take it out exclusively on the bala. I forgot how much I hated the cichlid bickering and pecking order, I realize why I ended up with the calm peaceful types, lol. I really miss my pearsei right about now.

I have not seen any of them eat yet. Pellets have been sucked in and spit out and they have ignored live earthworms, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. They are pretty bold and come out front quite a bit but not trusting of me yet. Hopefully they eat and calm down before I do something rash and get rid of them before I really give them a chance.

Will update again soon...