Starting a 20L

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Petco really enables to get more tanks when they run their $1 per gallon sale. I'm starting up a 20L to raise something in to go into the 300g.

This is the start of the new tank, right under the 65BIMG_20191005_172258170.jpg
Will update the new setup with choice of filters, heater, and other equipment.

The fun of doing a new tank!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Will start with lighting. This is a Petsmart unit that is no longer in production. It has removable pods like the Elive led pod track lighting. Sadly the two units do not interchange pods but the principle is the same. Thankfully I bought quite a few pods before they discontinued it. With the 20L being so low, I will need to remove some of the pods.
IMG_20191005_183434200.jpg

The tank is made by Aqueon but the Aqueon lid was too small. It was about 3/8" too short so I had to order a MarineLand one online that will fit tightly. Waiting for it to come in still.

As to filtration? I always over filter so a filter rated for 50 gallons was the choice. An Aquaclear 50 just came in from Amazon.
IMG_20191005_182957131.jpg
Just ordered the heater from Amazon and went with a 100 Watt Catalina Titanium. The heater has an external controller and is pretty small at 5 1/2" in length. I will set it up horizontal because the 20L is a low tank.
100w catalina.jpg
Still waiting on my new gravel, background and shopping for a good tank divider.

More to come.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Found a new gravel I wanted to try. It was on Amazon for $20 for 11 pounds but looking around online found it for half the price for twice the amount! A little less than $10 for a 22 pound bag. I bought two for future projects. Pretty cool looking stuff.
CEA5B57D-3DDF-41F7-A69A-E1C1AC8D07C7.jpeg
I also ordered my background from Walmart. Found a 25 foot roll for $15. Plenty for future tanks. Great price considering I usually pay around $12 for just one background.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the look of that cereal, oops, I mean grav. Haha

but seriously it reminds me of that kashi cereal.

cant wait to see what it looks like in water

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
aquarium paradise had some sweet looking rocks ( skipping stone sized) with the most amazing colors in them. I’ve been thinking about buying a handful of them and dropping them into my tanks to split up the gravel look

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the look of that cereal, oops, I mean grav. Haha

but seriously it reminds me of that kashi cereal.

cant wait to see what it looks like in water
lol, it does look like cereal

aquarium paradise had some sweet looking rocks ( skipping stone sized) with the most amazing colors in them. I’ve been thinking about buying a handful of them and dropping them into my tanks to split up the gravel look
I was just looking for something different with the gravel so I just jumped at the opportunity. I think you should do the stones and then post some pics.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Some info on the pisces company https://www.piscesusa.com/

I kind of like the look of their midnight pearl. Some reviews on it said they didn’t like it because it was smaller than expected. The picture makes it look like 3/8” stones but it is more like 2mm. This is almost like the Caribsea peace river that I currently use in the 300. Not a sand but a fine gravel.
B3E7212E-2A74-4053-A4AA-9366A9A60CD7.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Background came in and it was a great deal. A 25 foot roll for what would normally be just enough for one tank!
This is the background that Im using:
IMG_20191008_193040671.jpg

The gravel came in and I felt sorry for the FedEx person. Walmart packed the two, 22 pound bags, into the same box and the tape was bursting and I can tell they had a hard time with it. Anyway it made it. Not very impressive... until wet
IMG_20191008_193255537.jpg
Here it is wet against the background
IMG_20191008_193700948.jpg
More updates to come as more stuff comes in and I get it set up.

Betty

Staff member
That gravel looks like a perfect match with the background. (In that first pic of the gravel, I thought it looked like a healthy cereal. :sick)

I hope that heater will be a good one. I like the idea of an external controller.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That gravel looks like a perfect match with the background. (In that first pic of the gravel, I thought it looked like a healthy cereal. :sick)

I hope that heater will be a good one. I like the idea of an external controller.

Thanks Betty, this is starting to become a fun little project. I do like the look of this gravel... even if it looks like Kashi cereal, lol

The heater will be interesting to see, hopefully a good one like you say.

FishBeast

Background came in and it was a great deal. A 25 foot roll for what would normally be just enough for one tank!
This is the background that Im using:
View attachment 5298

The gravel came in and I felt sorry for the FedEx person. Walmart packed the two, 22 pound bags, into the same box and the tape was bursting and I can tell they had a hard time with it. Anyway it made it. Not very impressive... until wet
View attachment 5299
Here it is wet against the background
View attachment 5300
More updates to come as more stuff comes in and I get it set up.
That’s a beautiful color!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Worked on the tank today after work. Cut the background... was a bit disappointed because the section of tank that shows is only 10 1/8 inches and the background is much wider. So a lot of the picture got cut off. I also removed a ton of light pods. There are only 2 pods and 2 moonlight pods in it now. Seems plenty bright enough.
6CF1CCF8-1B03-4E1D-B065-7996BEF2490A.jpeg47E3FB32-F16E-4007-9469-789A4A8FB5FB.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have my order confirmation that my glass top is out for delivery. I should be able to get the little 20 gallon up and running this weekend. Im not sure if I want to get a divider and move the two meanest hogas in there or to just put them in. I dont know if the aggressive one would totally destroy the other or what. I had also seen a red devil at Petsmart that I would consider for the 300 gallon, I could grow it out a little in the 20 also. Tons of choices. Anyway will post pics when its finally up and running.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Can you add one of those plastic extenders to the

lid to make fit?
I could add a strip to the front to fill... but it would look weird

Im about to give up on the pre-made tops.

I might just use up some glass I have and make my own. This is getting ridiculous. So far I have tried three brands and they are all too short. Aqueon, Topfin, and Perfecto (Marineland). I even measured a Tetra brand tank to compare to the Aqueon and it measured the same so the lids would not have fit it either.

Betty

Staff member
Just a thought -- would a backstrip extender be bigger for larger tanks? Like a 125 gallon. I know you can order just that strip, but don't know about the sizes. Seems like they'd make them wider since there would be bigger equipment on a large tank.