What kinds of shrimp your U keeping?

Livebearer

So I want to BUMP this thread up again and have others share pics of their set-ups and what's in there?

Last edited:

pbmax

Well... since no one else is posting, here are a couple of photos of my ugly shrimp tanks. No, these are not display tanks, but I like them well enough and they're full of healthy shrimp. The first is where I keep my chocolates, the 2nd my blue velvets.

dsc_1216.jpg

dsc_1217.jpg

Livebearer

WOW I love it!!!
elegant but simple Max! Do the chocolates vary in color as there seem to be quite an array of colors in there and the white sand makes them POP...
What are their tank sizes??
I to keep crypts. in my shrimp tanks too as they like to rest on the stems and the little one's lay on the tops of the leaves floating near or at the surface to graze, bask in the LED's & escape the boistorous adults down below...

Livebearer

I got 2 new species/varieties to me, over the weekend, one is called Caridina serratirostris a wild shrimp from Asia called a Ninja shrimp, and the other is a variant of Neocaridina davidi called "Jade green". These last ones are SUPER bright shade of Emerald green and are a VERY COOL harder to find variety of neo's in the hobby. I'm doin' the shrimpy "happy dance"!!! ><>{

Last edited:

pbmax

Do the chocolates vary in color as there seem to be quite an array of colors in there and the white sand makes them POP...
What are their tank sizes??

Heh, they're actually pretty dull in that tank, for whatever reason. I have culls (clear chocolates pulled from the tank in the photo) in with platy fry and some of them are completely opaque now. I have a bunch in a tank with bright white sand and corys and I have some solid black, brown, and red-wine colored in there. Neocaridina coloration is highly environment dependent. It seems to be a function of light, background / substrate color, and inhabitants. Neocaridina kept with creatures larger than themselves seem to color up more solidly.

The below photo is from my bright white sand / cory tank.

Chocolates are the basis of many of the various colors out there. Mine throw blue, opaque black and brown, carbon rili, and opaque wine red, among others. I have a very large solid wine red female in the same tank as the black one below. I'll try to grab a photo of her sometime (she doesn't seem to want to sit still every time I point a camera at her).

The tanks in the above photos are 10g. The below comes from a 20g tank.

dsc_1213.jpg

pbmax

I call it "black". It took me a while to come up with that one... ;) The black coloration is really a very deep blue if you hit them with a bright light.

What I mean by "wine red" is coloration like the CRS "wine red" variety, but without the white stripes. It's a deeper red, but not quite rust or brown.

pbmax

I got 2 new species/varieties to me, over the weekend, one is called Caridina serratirostris a wild shrimp from Asia called a Ninja shrimp, and the other is a variant of Neocaridina davidi called "Jade green". These last ones are SUPER bright shade of Emerald green and are a VERY COOL harder to find variety of neo's in the hobby. I'm doin' the shrimpy "happy dance"!!! ><>{

The jade greens are nice. You should grab some photos and post them. :)

Livebearer

So here's a pic of the Caridina serratirostris aka Ninja shrimp.mystery shrimp3.JPG Mystery shrimp2.JPG
He can change color as fast as an Octopus! They only reproduce in brackish waters and shrimplets are born in the larvae stage, not fully developed.

Livebearer

Here is a few pics of the neocaridina davidi "jade green" male lighting is a cool white spectrum so I will try to get him under an L.E.D. daylight spectrum which shows these best.

neo jade green1.JPG neo jade green2.JPG Neocaridina jade green.JPG

Last edited:

Livebearer

Yah, I was using a 3.2 M.P.Sony cybershot camera and are getting a new battery for another 5.1 M.P Sony camera I got at a thrift store for a mere $5.00.. I will just use my Sony video camera w/built in still shootting capabilities that has a way better resolution/settings than any of these mentioned. IF you want any of these shrimps let me know?...

Livebearer

I like these chocolates variable colors soo much, whata say we do a trade for the Red Rili's?

Last edited:

pbmax

Yah, I was using a 3.2 M.P.Sony cybershot camera and are getting a new battery for another 5.1 M.P Sony camera I got at a thrift store for a mere $5.00.. I will just use my Sony video camera w/built in still shootting capabilities that has a way better resolution/settings than any of these mentioned.

Okay, that explains it. :) Yes, please post higher rez photos when you can.

I spent slightly more on my camera... ;)

I like these choloates variable colors soo much, whata say we do a trade for the Red Rili's?

Sure, I could do that (if you post some higher rez photos of the rilis so I can get a better look at them), but I'm not terribly enamored of driving all over the place to accomplish it. Aquaria are taking 2nd booking to family life these days.

Livebearer

Look in the classifieds section as I have some up F.S. with pics. What are U selling yours for per dozen?
Another thing is I'll need to razor the glass as the photo-eye wants to focus on the algae bits on the front glass instead.
My Video camera has a feature to see through this problem most camera's don't have. I love Sony products...

pbmax

Look in the classifieds section as I have some up F.S. with pics. What are U selling yours for per dozen?

I looked at your classified for the red rili - they do have excellent coloration. :)

My pricing on the chocolates is $40 for 20 (shipping not included), pretty close to yours. I'd be up for a shrimp for shrimp no-cash swap if that works for you. I have heat packs and breather bags and packaging on hand, I believe.

Last edited: