What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
3A3E51EA-EF05-4ACC-AA4E-C934771E68AB.jpeg
40464611-75EE-450D-9EE3-AA24CEB361DF.jpeg I went to Bonny Lake and picked up a glass lid for the 20L and then cut the top to fit filter and heater cord. Had to run a new cord to the tank that had extra outlets for the new tank. I had some old battery backup from my last job that I’m going to use for the filters. I still need to rinse gravel, fill the tank and set the heater....

Edit, got it done!

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The 20L looked dark so I added one more pod to the center and now it looks right. The Catalina heater held temp all night and all seems well. Added some bacteria in a bottle but will get some expendable fish to cycle with.

FishBeast

View attachment 5341
View attachment 5342 I went to Bonny Lake and picked up a glass lid for the 20L and then cut the top to fit filter and heater cord. Had to run a new cord to the tank that had extra outlets for the new tank. I had some old battery backup from my last job that I’m going to use for the filters. I still need to rinse gravel, fill the tank and set the heater....

Edit, got it done!
Nice! Looks like it fits a lot better too... I really like that background! You can squeeze/rinse some filter media into the tank from one of your established tanks. Instant cycle!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I love that sink next to the tanks. I've got a similar setup! Makes water changes a breeze :)
lol, that was never the plan for a tank there. It was supposed to be a cabinet with a countertop there. and some cabinets up above for storage. The eventual plan is a diy rack on the other side of the garage that holds multiple tanks.

FishBeast

lol, that was never the plan for a tank there. It was supposed to be a cabinet with a countertop there. and some cabinets up above for storage. The eventual plan is a diy rack on the other side of the garage that holds multiple tanks.
MTS strikes anywhere hahaha

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not really tank related but I did contact Imperial Tropicals about some fish and was super impressed with their communication. Fast response to questions and I felt very honest answers. Im not sure if I have space to raise out the fish I want to order but I do like them as a company.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Salt creep... lots of fun, lol

I did some tank cleaning in the 300g. I spent time on the back quarter of the tank, scrubbing down the large mopani, cleaning algae off plastic plants and cleaning the glass. With an 8 foot tank I find keeping it clean involves dividing it into quarters and focus on one section each time I clean. Basically the paint the bridge scenario, where you start at one end and once you finish painting you go back to the beginning and start again, lol. This is my one big regret with the big tank its 8 ft and its 30” deep. Total pain to clean, but love the look of a show tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not a huge thing but fed the fish, lol. A bit of a milestone in that the Hoga ate! I am totally thrilled that the smallest one did not allow itself to get chased during feeding. It stood its ground and ate. The middle one backed down and ran when the dominant one went at it. At least now I see some potential in these guys. The underdog is turning into my favorite!

FishBeast

Not a huge thing but fed the fish, lol. A bit of a milestone in that the Hoga ate! I am totally thrilled that the smallest one did not allow itself to get chased during feeding. It stood its ground and ate. The middle one backed down and ran when the dominant one went at it. At least now I see some potential in these guys. The underdog is turning into my favorite!
progress!!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
progress!!
Yep, they are settled in enough to finally eat. I fed a little this morning before work and they ate again. I do a mix of foods and the preference is Dainichi XL Pro. After the prolapse issue with my Pearsei, I am going to take care in feeding and not let them be gluttons. I will likely feed a NLS, Dainichi mix of food.

Fed the fish last night. Setup a sump (40G) for a 120. Ate half a can of honey roasted mixed nuts!
Thats nuts! lol, bad pun

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily a do with tank thing... but thinking about changing out my avatar. My Porkchop has been gone for a month now and maybe I should move on. I have bichir or puffer pics I could use.

Edit: Did the change to a puffer pic. This is my hairy puff which looks like an old man, lol

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Not necessarily a do with tank thing... but thinking about changing out my avatar. My Porkchop has been gone for a month now and maybe I should move on. I have bichir or puffer pics I could use.

Edit: Did the change to a puffer pic. This is my hairy puff which looks like an old man, lol

I saw your new avatar and immediately thought Never Ending Story. Looks like the fuzzy dragon.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped at Petsmart and picked up a “Red devil” mutt. Put it into the 20L to grow out
0164BCD6-7234-4585-8320-85A0BB7A872B.jpeg
4BC4F464-758E-4BF3-B860-E3F9441FC4FD.jpeg