What am I missing?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The silver dollars (only fish that survived original outbreak) got the parasite clear treatment. The others have not had any treatment for this.

I am leaning toward something internal now because nothing external is showing. All the fish start with healthy eating then just stop and waste away. When I tried the parasite stuff on the last batch of fish their was no noticeable difference. The pearsei had started to breathe heavy like it had gill flukes or fungus; something in the gills. Both symptoms were treated and no success. One of the silver dollars that had survived that outbreak soon developed pop eye which is caused by internal bacterial infection. So I feel my issue is either fish TB or an internal infection of some sort. Both respond well to the kanaplex. I might mix another antibiotic in their food for a double whammy.

The not eating thing is a symptom of many of the issues out there, but since I have treated for the parasites before I am not leaning toward that as the issue. I am currently going with a heavy salt treatment (cheap method) to help if it is parasites (external or gill). The medicated food mix I will do will hit the internal.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That bocoutri was very nice looking, sad to have lost it. Now that Ive battled this stuff for a while at least I have a time frame to know when to give up!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The zo died this morning. It did not look as bad as the bocourti or even stopped eating for as long. No outward signs of fungus, torn or damaged fins, missing scales. Just the typical, stop eating then dead. Hopefully the kanaplex arrives today and I can begin treatment.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just frustrated! This stuff is an invisible killer!

Zerc

germs03-germs-virus-monster-smiley-emoticon-000697-large.gif

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
fishman09 said:
Where dr jonas salk when you need him?
At the rate its going it will be a Dr. Kevorkian type tretment these fish may have to receive. :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
:cheers: The kanaplex and focus arrived! I can begin treatment....

Madness

Staff member
Lets hope it works. But like you said, it may be the silver dollars. Mel lost his 1000 gal to a mysterious illness, due to his new Texas being a carrier. He removed the Texas, and all is well.

Good luck, need any help let me know.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Last night for fun I put some blanched zucchini in the tank. This morning I found it torn to shreds and some real aggressive munch/teeth marks on it so good sign the L014 is eating.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive seen the teeth on that pleco and I think the zombie pleco went to town on that zucchini. Never actually seen it eat though...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just had an enlightening conversation with Seattle23. Gave me some things to try out. I did clean the tank well but I really did not get the gravel bed pulled out and cleaned. I assumed the silver dollars alone were the carriers but had not stopped to consider the breeding ground the gravel bed was. Even though my gravel vacs produced nothing, I am dealing with things smaller than I can see. Duh! So I am going to do some hardcore cleaning including the gravel!

Zerc

take all fish out and put some chlorine tabs in? 5 gallons of bleach ought to kill everything pretty good...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I work at a cleaning supply company. I might have some things that could work.