What am I missing?

Betty

Staff member
I suspected my heater was leaking when I had my problem. It was a submersible, in-tank heater.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Betty the UV was turned off during any treatment, so it could work properly.

madness, I will check for stray electrical. But I feel in my case very unlikely. I use two of the Hydor in-line heaters and two FX5's. I removed the powerhead out of my tank and the only other thing would be an air pump.

Most of the time the stray electrical stems from a faulty heater or power head that are inside the tank. I will never the less still check this to eliminate all possibilities.

I started a little salt in the water, 1/4 cup this morning. I will gradually add more as the day progresses.

A

Anonymous

I have never used salt in a freshwater aquarium in 18 years of fishkeeping. I hear really good things about it, but have never used it. There are a few writes up on disolved minerals being benificial, but the amount of salt found in freshwater lakes, river etc. is very minimal. I am sure I am going to hear a large quantity of stories where people have used salt to treat all kinds of things. And im not saying it dident help, but as far as I understand, salt has very little positive effect. I know you take very good care of your fish and im really scratching my head here. But I would have gotten rid of the silver dollars, as anything they hav or had could easil be contracted to your new fish. I am sorry your going through this crap again.

One thing I and any seasoned hobbyist knows the best "cure" is prevention, and the best prevention is perfect water. I have seen your tanks and they are so well kept its insane. I really dont know what it could be. Your fish' immune systems have to be in the best shape with water quality like yours. Sorry I cant be much help. With the best of intentions, and in high hopes for you my friend.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks vw,

madness and I were talking about this today and I am a total freak about water changes and gravel vac all the time. In the three years I had my big midas, I never had a single issue. That was in a 120g tank. So you would think with a larger tank and higher volume of water it would be better. Nope, not for me apparently.

An aspect I had not considered was something madness had spoke with mel about. When you are dealing with bacterial issues in the tank, try NOT to use a dechlorinater. :scratch: Say what, that goes against everything we read and are taught. Well yes it not comfortable for the fish but these same things.... help kill bacteria :idea: I think I might try it at this point, cant really do any harm. In fact I remember some study where they did not use it and the fish became accustomed to it. Dont remember where I saw that but somewhere in all my research :study:

fishman09

i would rather take everything out and wash them and empty the tank if you wanted to get rid of the bacteria. i dont like the idea of no conditioner. just seems iffy to me

Madness

Staff member
fishman09 said:
i would rather take everything out and wash them and empty the tank if you wanted to get rid of the bacteria. i dont like the idea of no conditioner. just seems iffy to me
I havent used conditioner for about a year now. Just an FYI. I dont do large enough water changes to warrant it. If for whatever reason I need to make a large water change, then I will use some. Otherwise, I dont use. :) But thats just me. :)

fishman09

hmmmm :suspect: maybe something ill try. cause i do multiple small changes along with a couple big changes a week. still i know that prime is working for me and my fish so "if it aint broke dont fix it" comes to mind. i do wanna try safe cause i go through the 500 gallon bottle of prime weekly which gets a little spendy

Madness

Staff member
fishman09 said:
hmmmm :suspect: maybe something ill try. cause i do multiple small changes along with a couple big changes a week. still i know that prime is working for me and my fish so "if it aint broke dont fix it" comes to mind. i do wanna try safe cause i go through the 500 gallon bottle of prime weekly which gets a little spendy
Agreed, but if I used it on every water change, I would go broke. LOL I did some research and asked a lot of the hobbyists that have been doing this far longer than I. I do use it if I use even just a smidgen of warm water to refill my tanks.

Madness

Staff member
Yes, for me anyway. The Prime gets rid of metals in the water, but I use Hikari's Ultimate. It does a better job of getting rid of more metals. Depending on the age of the H2O tank, the tank gets old and toxic metals leach out into the water. I ran into an issue of HITH a year ago, and had my water tested. The levels of different metals coming out of my tank were insane. Obviously not at the levels to harm us, but definitely enough to cause stress in the fish. So that is why you hear me say that I do cold water changes only. But on a rare occasion I will use warm water, and treat it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I use water treatment every time so this was a new thought to me to not use it. I change out a lot of water each week and go through a fair amount of Prime, so switching over to safe will be a good move for me also.

Looking at my routine I could easily cut my usage by not treating every time. On a week where I just am not in the mood to work on my tanks it still gets three water changes: Mon 25%, Wed 25%, Fri 50%, and I would treat the entire tank like the Prime instructions said. I could just not use it on the smaller 25% changes and be just fine.

On a week where I really maintain my tanks I just will add in a Tue 15% (just for minor food waste removal) and another 40-50% on Sunday. The additional large water change on Sunday is done if I have been home over the weekend and have fed heavy because of falling for all those little begging faces.

This is what gets me wondering what I am missing. This water is pristine in my tanks. I am very dedicated to the tank maintenance.

fishman09

its those silver dollars i bet. i bet they are carriers and developed an immunity or something and the stess in the other fish from the move may have weakened the immune system enough in a couple fish for them to get infected.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I kind of think that is the case. But some of the fish are doing exceptionally well and not having any issues. Most were introduced at the same time. Out of the first batch of fish from madness the ones that seem to succumb were the zo, red devil and bocourti (these three still alive but not eating well). The synspilum and hoga are doing very well. The second batch of fish introduced two weeks later was a zo and lyonsi which are doing very well also.

I think I will end up losing the small zo, red devil and bocourti at this rate. This thing that has hit my tank shows itself with fish not eating and these three are the ones with issues. When fish do not go for the frozen treats its time to worry.

I got some Omega One marine pellets and flake with garlic and have been feeding this to see if the non eaters would get interested but nothing. I may try some medicated food to protect the ones I already have that seem healthy.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
fishman09 said:
have u thought of removing the ones you think are sick to reduce the disease in the tank?
We are on the same mind there! As I was doing my water change I decided to remove the small zo and red devil. I have decided to put them down so as to not pass along anything to the others. I am going to see how the bocourti does but I just might remove him too. Since these are the ones showing the symptoms I will just take them out and see how the others do.

vancouver_98683

DMD123 - Question for you. This is not the cause of the two red devils, but as per electrical charge mentioned. Did they have cloudy eyes? I only bring this up cuz recently I set up an additional tank and had a faulty heater. The current blinded a 4" P. Polleni which later perished a day later. I was only able to feel the electrical current with the finger that had a cut. No where else when I stuck both arms in. It was a painful shock only at the cut area. I would of never known this was happening other than the physical appearance of the spawning pair.

But reading all the prior posts clearly, rather than just skimming b4 what I stated above. It does sound like a disease.

Zerc

I keep a grounded wire in my tank for just that reason!

Also, madness' theory about contamination via hot water heater is really interesting, I'm glad i use prime every WC, but i think i might start doing cold water changes...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
No cloudy eyes on the fish. I think I am still dealing with the bacterial infection that head hit the tank. I do not have heaters in the tank. I use the hydor in-line heaters so I doubt it is electrical current in the water but I will test. I am going to borrow a meter from work and test.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So small update. I decided to do some of my small mid week water changes with no Prime. These are only around 30 gallons. Well guess what, no issues with this small of an amount. Fish dont even act weird about it. My large 50% changes I will still use Prime.

I also feel my Silver dollars are carriers of the bacterial issue I had. I put down all the sick fish except one, the bocourti. He still looks like he might be able to pull through, but is not eating. A symptom that all the sick fish did have in common.

I am going to treat the tank with Seachem kanaplex in the water and a mix of Seachem kanaplex, focus and garlic guard in food. The kanaplex was recommended for bacterial issues when fish stop eating, and I read some good reviews on it.

The focus is a bonding agent to help the kanaplex mix into the food and the garlic guard is to make the food more appealing. Hopefully this combo can get the silver dollars cleaned out and any other fish healed. I have such high hopes for this bocourti, it is quite the looker and gets along with everyone. But when these guys dont eat you know there is a problem because they have a rep of being :pig: