What am I missing?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thanks!

At this point I am waiting for the meds to come in. The poor bocourti has not been eating and has a thin look to him. But he still has that active look about him like he still has pep so good sign.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the links.

I feel as if I am dealing with internal bacterial infection. The kanaplex has had reviews that mentioned fish that stopped eating. The product is also supposed to be absorbed through the fishes skin so even if they dont eat it helps. This can be mixed into their food with the combo of focus and garlic guard.

I hope this next round of meds snaps the bocourti out of it. This is my test subject so to speak. All the other fish are eating and act healthy so they could be carriers. The fact that even recently I had issues with very hardy fish just makes me feel the problem is in the tank still. I treated for parasites and fungus but I dont think I really hit the root of the problems just the symptoms.

After this round of treatments we will see how things go. The silver dollars have not been the same with the large midas gone. They are skittish and annoying so they may not stay.

Madness

Staff member
If the Bocourtti is not eating now, IME they wont eat the medicated food either. You may have to take the fish out, use an eye dropper and force feed the guy the meds.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The medicated food is for the ones eating to make sure they get fixed. The kanaplex is supposed to get absorbed in the skin. I really dont want to stress the bocourti out by catching him and force feedeing but I might just try it.

vancouver_98683

Now that you believe to be a bacterial infection. In your opinions, will a UV Sterilizer assist greatly in prevention? I got a 36W in my 155g set up. That's why I ask. No issues thus far but sux to hear someone going through this and losing fish.

Zerc

you need a high watt uv sterilizer to help with prevention, most of us have little ones, under 20w. Kills algae, but not bacteria. :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have an 18w that is used to cut down on the green water effect. I leave my light on for quite a long time and if I dont use it it will get a green tinge.

I am pretty sure my issues stem from adding wild caught fish to my tank without quarantine. All the fish were very healthy until the addition of the wild caught argentea and pearsei. In fact the rest of the fish were at least 2.5 - 3 years old. Very established fish that never had issues.

Once the fish are infected a UV wont do that much good anyway. But for prevention in my case it would not have made a difference. I should have treated all the new fish for parasites and things before they went into the main tank.

This infection is still hitting fish in the tank now. The latest zo I got now is doing the reclusive not eating thing along with the bocourti. The syspilum, hoga, lyonsi all seam healthy and eating still.

A

Anonymous

Man sorry D, wow, this is still going on. I have only had time to lightly read over alot of the posts as compared to my norm of reading everything posted. I am sorry to hear this is still happening. You still have my number, give me a call if you need anything. Really sucks bro, sorry again.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks VW, just plugging along right now waiting for my kanaplex order to come in and keeping up with water changes and what not.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So this morning I thought the hoga an lyonsi were acting weird and not eating. Sure enough tonight when I get home from work I try again and no eating. The hoga shows some interest but not taking the food in and he was letting a silver dollar bully him.

So checked the water and not a huge deal, only number slightly elevated were nitrates at 5 ppm. So I decided to do a 50% water change tonight and see what happens. My kanaplex does not get here until Thursday so I think I will do salt treatment and water changes in the meantime.

I am ready to quit! Feel like putting the whole lot down as infected fish. Every healthy fish seems to succumb to this and will slowly start wasting away. I am not raising delicate fish at all, these are all robust cichlids that are having issues. Kanaplex better be a miracle cure because otherwise I will most likely have to put down the entire tank, even the ones that "appear" to be healthy due to the fact they could be carriers.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just realized that in previous salt treatments I did not add enough salt! I put in 1 cup for 210g. I am supposed to put 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons which equals 42 Tablespoons which comes out to 2.625 cups for my210g! :affraid: Wow that seems like a lot but its really not. I am going to try this until the kanaplex comes in.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks madness, I am just waiting for the meds.... did the water change and salt treatment already.

The hoga was eating frozen brine shrimp last night and acting fine. Today it is doing the heavy breathing thing and fins kind of clamped to its body.

The lyonsi had a small scrape on one of its top fins where it looked like it rubbed up against something but otherwise seemed fine. It swims around like nothing is going on but is being reclusive and not eating.

The zo stopped actively eating is very reclusive and I see the belly looking thin.

The boucourti has been the longest at showing no interest in any foods and not eating or growing. The synspilum has gotten bigger while this guy has not grown. they were both the same size when I got them.

As of now the synspilum, silver dollars and the small sailfin pleco are eating for sure. The little pleco has 5" turds that are algae wafer colored so I know its eating! :lmfao:

The other pleco I cant tell, very shy! I put in shrimp at night along with algae wafers and they are all gone but I see no clue of poop from this guy so I cant tell.

I really have a lot of hope with the kanplex but the treatment time seems way too short. You treat every two days but do not exceed three times. Hope this stuff works. The alternative is not pretty.

Zerc

DMD123 said:
The other pleco I cant tell, very shy! I put in shrimp at night along with algae wafers and they are all gone but I see no clue of poop from this guy so I cant tell.
The zombie pleco does not eat.

:lol:

sandnuka

well sounds like you tried everything.... any suggestion you quickly have an answer for.... my first thought was aggression and stress, those s. american fish are brutal, especially when the lights are out... sneaky guys.... but since you said its not that, maybe he was just a defective, ill fish... it was just his time?

sorry for the loss.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Another one bites the dust!

The bocourti dead this morning. So I have figured that the bacterial issue in the tank takes two weeks to set in and the fish can last about a month. The zo has shown syptoms for about a week and the hoga and lyonsi just started to show. Nothing from the synspilum, silver dollars or pleco's. This at least gives me something to work with time frame wise. I increased the salt treatment just a little until the kanaplex comes in.

The scary thing is after researching more there is a good possibility that even if I disinfected the tank with bleach this stuff could still survive! A more effective way to kill the bad stuff is actually salt.

So my game plan is to continue with salt treatment and kanaplex and wait out a month and see what happens. If the death toll continues then I will get rid of every single fish. I will break down the tank, sterilize everything and let it air dry for at least a week. This from the research Ive done is the most effective way to make sure it is all dead. The hard part will be to sell the tank or restart at that point....

fishman09

Have u tried the jungle labs parasite clear. My jag pair got something when i first brought them home where they didnt eat for two weeks and the pararsite clear worked like a dream and now im dealing with about 2000 fry lol sucks about the buccorti hope things get better