Vote for the April 2012 POTM!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Re: Vote for the April 2012 POTM!

Kaosu said:
oh look..another cichlid is going to win >.> SURPRISE
So next time around we need to try different fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

I have not buckled down and taken many pics, yet.

I am tempted to submit my flagtail after he heals up a bit. (From cichlid attack!)

JimA

Perhaps if there were more than 33 people voting the outcome would be different? It is the best photo, IMO.

Maybe next time :beer:

Anthraxx

if you want to win you need a good quality camera (they dont come cheap for "fish friendly" varieties) but 1 is the best based on specimen quality which is how i base my votes. also consider a photo tank (typically like a 1 gallon) for those hard to get fish, ive considered it myself just to get some sun in my photos.

Kaosu

Anthraxx said:
if you want to win you need a good quality camera (they dont come cheap for "fish friendly" varieties) but 1 is the best based on specimen quality which is how i base my votes. also consider a photo tank (typically like a 1 gallon) for those hard to get fish, ive considered it myself just to get some sun in my photos.
so only the people who can afford to buy expensive equipment wins...gotcha

^_^ well Im forever out of the running.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Kaosu said:
Not true.

I have an expensive Sony DSLR that I won in a contest that I still cant get good fish pics with. I usually use my digital point and shoot and get better results. When it come to landscapes and outdoor pictures however the DSLR blows the point and shoot away. 14.0MP vs 8.0MP.

Madness

Staff member

Kaosu said:
Anthraxx said:

^_^ well Im forever out of the running.
No offense, but your picture is not very clear. If it was in focus and showed the great detail that a photo should, I would have clearly voted for it. But to me it is not in focus very well.

Betty

Staff member

I agree with DMD. I took better pictures with my cheap point and shoot and have won a few fish photo contests with it. Unfortunately it broke and now I use my DSLR as an expensive point and shoot. I don't have a clue how to use it properly.

It's not easy taking pictures of fish that don't hold still, glass reflecting, water spots on the tank, poop floating around, etc. I've found they usually turn out better if I get really close and set it to macro which most cameras, cheap or expensive, have. That way I can make the fish the focal point and try to eliminate the extraneous tank clutter.

And I just like looking at the pictures and the variety of fish in the contest. :)

pbmax

A tripod, a remote shutter release, a dark room (shooting in the middle of the night works well), clean glass, lots of top light, a remote flash firing down (most folks don't have this of course), and a BIG aperture (meaning even more light needed) F number to get those close-up shots are all critical. Anything with front-facing flash generally turns out looking awful (YMMV here, but that's my experience). Sometimes you can shoot at an angle to the glass to miss the flash glare, but then you're looking at distortion problems.

My biggest issue is not enough light (including lack of a remote flash). My fish rarely sit still so they all become blurs. :|

sandnuka

Alright.... so we have a winner..... It was Sandnuka.... or me.... I honestly try not to put my pictures in contest because Im the one that usually puts together the contest, but this time there were only 9 submissions, so I had to chuck in one..... I will be honest and say I didnt vote for my picture though. I voted for #1.

As for the camera I used... its not a really expensive camera, its an older sony (70 bucks at a pawn shop I paid)... not a dslr, just a digital camera, but it does have a manual focus, and that makes all the difference in the world. I do have a new DSLR camera now, but havent really got to take many pictures cause I really dont plan on entering contests...

So, if anyone feels me entering the competition was unfair, please PM me or Mikey, i will gladly pull my picture and allow the second most voted for picture win if enough people disagree with it.

Ratlova30

Congratulations! I'm sure everyone would agree you took a very nice pic. I'm happy my pic wasn't dead last :lol!: It was in a lead in the beginning :punk:

Mikey

Joe, your photo was my favorite and didn't even know it was yours. It was a fair contest by all means; the members chose their favorite photo.

Congrats!

VsKitchen

Congrats on the win Sandnuka!! It is a great photo :D

I'm a bit jealous of all the winners who have figured out how to use thier cameras for the best fishy photos, but it just makes me all the more determined to figure out how to use mine better!

This contest is great - not only do we get to see everyone's wetpets, it's a wonderful excuse to play with the camera and spend time with our tanks!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

:clap:

Congrats on the win!

Very nice! :spoton:

A

Anonymous

I always place my vote on photo quality, fish health, and the overall "feel" for the picture. Good win, unbiased. Great picture. And I would also like to add that I have come in second place in two potm contests and I use a cell phone to take the pics so a nice camera is not always required for a great photo.