Thinking of making a (Not so) nano reef

Br

Since you're building a new sump...I would recomend to add another section for skimmer/heater because it's better to have a separate section for filter socks/pads to collect waste/snail/everything.
I think your're ready and it's time to start building the tank. Love to see more pics and progresses of the build.................

Squirmteben

I'm totally going to copy your design. Are you going to put unions on your pipes, so you won't have to disconnect everything or have to cut in if something gets stuck?

Gryphon

Most likely, I'm still in the planning stages. I won't actually be doing any measuring, final plans, etc until I get the stand built and I'll be able to better visualize how everything will fit. When I do it'll probably be every 12 inches or so.

Br

There are a few reasons why I said you might want to consider another section because you don't want your skimmer right next/under the return waterspout....you'll find all kind of things like snails or food draining down and will clogged your skimmer.... I personally strongly recomend not to use the filter sock/pad at all time because it's a nitrate farm if you don't take it out and clean it every other day.... but when you do your maintenance, you wish that you have one, even an eggcrate section to lay your filter pad on top would be nice.... it's because once in awhile when you do the maintenance, you stir up your sand bed a bit, use a small powerhead to blow your live rocks to clean these detrious that normally stay there and mess up your water...it's when you see your water is ah...and you wish you'll have something to collect them.... I know not a lot of people will do that but it's one of the right way to do.... it'll work either ways but it's just my thought :)..

Gryphon

I'm also having to reconsider getting the overflow from glass-holes.com, since their pipe is already set in the middle of the overflow, I don't know if there is room to fit a second drain inside.

Gryphon

I'm now thinking of taking my 29g and removing the back pane of glass that has the 3D background attached to it. Then adding a new pane of glass to what would have been normally the top of the of the tank, and setting it face down to create a wide, shallow(er) sump. Would I have to completely take the tank apart, and re-silicone all the sides and bottom, or would I be able to just add the new glass?

Anthraxx

any chance youd just trade the tank? a friend of mine (the big guy that came with us for the rock deal) may have a 29g and a tank w/ Background is always neat.

Gryphon

Yeah I'm up for a trade.

Just forewarning, the background is about an inch and a half thick, and has been set up to accommodate for my canister filter's input/output. If he is planning on running a HoB style filter it most likelye won't fit.

Gryphon

So an update on this build is probably in order.
I ended up getting a 700gph overflow from BRS along with 1" bulkheads and the bit needed to drill for them. I also got 2 Maxi-Jet 400 Power heads for circulation inside the tank (500gph each). I made use of the latest $1/ gal sale at Petco and picked up a 20L for the sump, and I won a bid on a Sicce Syncra 4.0 pump rated at 951 US gph for my return.

So at this point I just need to get the stand built, plumbing done, and a good light for corals. I've been checking out the LED fixtures from Reefbreeders, I'm currently planning on going with that. I may also have to get another skimmer if the one I got with the tank doesn't work out.

Gryphon

I'm also planning on a 10g self contained coral and invert only tank. I'm going to partition one end of the 10g off and turn it into a sump for the rest of the tank. This one will be only corals with maybe a crab or shrimp in it. This will hopefully allow me to pick up and sample a few corals I want to get for the big one while I'm working on getting it put together.

lilfishie

That would be a great little tank.
I had a 3 gal set up the same way. I had a phantom anemone shrimp in it. It was really cute. I also had a tiger goby in it for a while. Did a weekly water change and everything did great for a couple years. Took it down recently.
No skimmer in the 3 gal, but they do make skimmers small enough that might fit into the sump section of the 10 gal.

Gryphon

Well I'm hoping by keeping it just corals and a couple inverts the need for a skimmer would be negated by weekly water changes.

Gryphon

Maybe I'm being a bit hasty with this but...

I've decided to just set a 10g up with a AC filter modded into a refugium, grab some cured live rock and start up. Reason being is I really want to order this coral Link before they go out of stock. XD

This will give me time to complete the AIO 10g peninsula set up that I'll eventually move everything over to.

Gryphon

Well, happen to know anywhere local that would have that particular coloration? I'd prefer to buy locally if I can. Next up one my list is to get a nice torch.

Gryphon

Nope, I've not even heard of it. I do post on Reef Central a lot, but I haven't been around long enough to use the market yet XD