Thinking of making a (Not so) nano reef

Gryphon

Judging from the picture they supplied looks like it won't be too much live rock. That's easily obtained though. It also doesn't look to be drilled so I'll be looking into having to do that as well XD

On a side note, where does everyone get their RO/DI water that doesn't have a RO/DI unit, and how much is it per gallon? As I'll be living in an apartment when I set this bad boy up I might not be able to install a RO/DI unit.

Br

Most people would buy the filtered water from Safeway, just grab a couple of five gal buckets and fill them up.... not sure how much but I think it's around 35cent/gal... it's not really RO/DI but still better than your tap water.
Also, it doesn't matter where you live, you can always install the RO/DI unit at your place, either in the kitchen or bathroom, it's very simple.. your rental $$$ might already covered for the water bill so why not :)

Anthraxx

hey if a column tank really interests you my GF is selling her tank. doesnt have a lot of the saltwater gadgets but itd be a decent start. just check out my FS post and lemme know man.

Gryphon

Seattle Aquarium? Never would have thought of going there for water. A bit far though to head there just for water.

Anthraxx - Not wanting another column, I already have my 30 hex for that =P

Anthraxx

grocery stores near you are a great start for water, also consider looking up either LFS near you or aquarium maintenance companys near you. most that service salt water will have premixed water. just an idea.

Gryphon

Yay so I got the tank today. So it won't be a nano reef anymore lol.

Its not drilled so eventually I'm gonna have to look into that, as well as a stand and hood for it. I'm probably going to have to get a bigger light, this one is smaller than the tank, infact it sits nicely on top of my 29g tank.

lilfishie

It is recommended to use RO/DI water. It helps keep down algaes. Seattle aquarium does sell NSW. Parameters are not ideal for reef but is fine for FOWLR systems.
Couple of LFS's will sell RODI water. Oceans by Design in Kent and Barrier Reef in Renton. You can use the filtered water from the grocery store too. Not perfect, but better than tap. Just dont get water with salt added. Most drinking water has salt added to it.
If you can get a hold of the perfect size tank, Oceans by Design and Red C Aquarium both will drill them for you. They both will build tanks too. Keep looking. Hold out for the right tank. Dont settle too soon for something that is not quite what you want.

A

Anonymous

Technically it is a nano tank. A nano is 40g and under putting you exactly at the limit.

A

Anonymous

In a poll taken on reef frontiers the general consensus was 40g so that's how I have always defined a nano. I can send you the thread if your intresed

Squirmteben

Maybe we need a new term to accurately portray the 30-55 gallon range of reefs.

I'm in a similar boat to Gryphon: I scooped up a 90 gallon saltwater set up because the price was right, but it's not drilled. Now I need to find some polarized sunglasses to see if it's tempered. I'm going to be following this thread, since I'm going to have many of the same questions and issues. I also found out I'm going to Costa Rica for 10 weeks, so I'm being forced to be patient and not do any impulse buying.

I've been watching for RO/DI units on craigslist, but usually people want a lot for their broken stuff.

A

Anonymous

.1-2.5 gallons is a picto reef
2.6-40 gallons is a nano reef
41-300 gallons is simply a reef
300+ gallons is a mega reef

Squirmteben
It will be cheaper and eisier to find a predrilled 90g. Between the overflow box, diamond hole saw, and bulkheads for that tank will be $120ish to do it right. I have seen tons of predrilled 90s and 110s for less than $100 in great shape

Gryphon

So I'm thinking of getting this for my overflow:

Glass-holes.com 700gph Overflow

Right now I'm planning on either waiting for the next $1/gal sale on tanks at petco, or picking up a used 20g for a sump. I figure getting a 250-300 gph pump will give me a 10x turnover in the sump, which should work ok with the skimmer (100gph) and refugium, and 5-6x turnover in the tank.

Gryphon

So this is my horribly inaccurate, definately not to scale rough copy plans for my sump set up. I'm thinking of trying to set up a T on the in-line for the sump so I can make my own drip/trickle line for my QT/acclimation tank.

opo4ty.jpg

Br

Thought I should make a correction.....Why so limited on the overflow? I would say it's better at 700gph than 200....Great drawing/planning on the sump/plumbing but I think you need to move the overflow box to the left and return pump to the right will make more sense on the flow and layout of the sump....I don't think the water will flow into your quarantine tank if you have a T connect through your down-spout...it should be connected to the return line where it has enough pressure to flow into.... also, I think it's better to rearrange the sump...turn it around maybe....

Gryphon

So after a bit more research into sump, I've decided on doing a Herbie set up. So this is my rough draft number 2!

2ywepsi.jpg