Thinking of making a (Not so) nano reef

Gryphon

So I've been doing some reading lately, and the idea of making a nano-reef has gotten stuck in my head. Only problem is, I don't have any experience with salt water :study: I know I want to get a pair of clown fish (not sure which ones yet) and maybe one or two other colorful fish. And corals, definite planning on trying my hand at some soft corals like mushrooms.

So my question is now, how hard are nano reefs to set up and maintain? I'm planning on going with either a 20 or 30 gal tank, I don't want to go any smaller until I get a wee bit more experience at what I'm doing.

A

Anonymous

A 125g is less work than a 30g as far as saltwater goes. If your just starting saltwater I would start with a bigger tank. Balencing fish and coral in a nano reef can be tricky. I would go with more like a 55g

lilfishie

If you dont have a tank yet, what you want to look for is something the size that you can manage easiest. How much saltwater can you have ready just in case you need it in an emergency. I am able to store 30 gals of saltwater and 23 gals of fresh water. It should be enough if I need to do an emergency 20-30% water change on any of my tanks.

So if you can make say 10 gals of fresh saltwater to do a basic water change, you could easily manage a 50 gal tank.

I would also suggest that you get an all in one, or a tank with a built in overflow and sump system. It is so much easier maintenance and plumbing.

Smaller tanks do need more attention. My 180 gets a 30 gal water change every month, and my 75 gets a 10% water change every 6 weeks or so. My 3 gal pico gets 50% water change every week. It depends on the bioload and the mechanical filtration.

On a 30 gal tank, I would suggest doing a 6-7 gal water change weekly. And with the fish you want, at least 45lbs of rock and a skimmer rated for at least 50 gals.
If you can manage a water change weekly there is no reason you cant manage a 30 gal tank. If you wanted to keep SPS coral it starts getting a little trickier. But there again, with regular water changes that are managable for you, theres no reason you cant do it.

I'm glad you want to give it a try.
You find the system you think you can manage and I will be here to help you out with it.

Gryphon

Yeah I'm still open to changing my plans, it'll be a few months before I even have the ability to start setting up, which is why I'm planning now. Unfortunately size will be a factor, we're looking to finally move out of my in-laws place and get an apartment again, but if we end up with a second or third floor apartment I'm not going to be comfortable with a large tank. But if we end up on a ground floor... I might have to get my 120 set up finally. Cost is a second factor, once we're free of the in-laws I'll be putting in OT to help fund my tank.

Currently I'm thinking about trading the 120g tank (its just been sitting around for 2 years) and my 29 (with the 3d background in it) for what I can use.

lilfishie

There are a couple saltwater fish stores close to your area. I'll pm you.

You can stop in and get some ideas from them.

sidekicking

not extremely hard I started with a 25g then 38g and last a 55g couldn't go any I live on the third floor
Definitly listen to lilfishie she knows a lot

Gryphon

So I have a question, I have a canister filter that has the surface cleaning piece, would that be enough to act as a skimmer along with weekly 10-15% water changes?

Gryphon

I figured I would ask, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to saltwater. The main purpose of a skimmer is to remove surface build up right?

lilfishie

No the skimmer actually removes proteins and solids from the water. You try to get as much water contact with the skimmer as posssible.
A skimmer uses a water pump and ventury fitting with airhose that infuses air with the water and the bubbles/foam will pull the organic waist, proteins and such out of the water and float it into a collection cup. There are some good hang on the back units, but I dont trust any to not overflow the collection cup. I only use in sump skimmers.
google youtube video of protein skimmers
there are some cheap ones out there that are just that! worthless.
To keep surface film or anything collecting on the surface, you want powerheads in the tank keeping the water circulating and the surface water moving. You want a LOT of flow in the tank to keep detritus and left over food and such getting to the machanical filtration. You dont want any dead spots where these thing will build up. That will cause cyano bacterial outbreak and algae outbreak.

Besides the tank, the skimmer is one of the most important pieces of equipment for saltwater tanks.
Its that or you do 50-60% water change every 4-7 days.
Lighting is the next important piece of equipment. Depending on what you want to keep as coral will determin what type of lighting you will need.
Another important piece of equipment, is an RO/DI unit to make fresh water. Tap water can contain too many contaminants that will cause bad algae outbreaks. For a clean system, you really need to use RO if not RO/DI water.

Zerc

you can find good deals for skimmers on CL if you look around. Or wait for the memorial day sale at BRA :)

Anthraxx

another option for doing a nano is setting up a nice sump for it (hidden in a stand of course) so you can get away with more stock in less space. josh at petco in lakewood has a neat little nano on the desk there you could ask about.

lilfishie

50 gal is a good size. Thats not a bad price either.

For your biofiltration, you going to want 60lbs of live rock.
Do you want to have a deep sandbed or a thin one. Or bare bottom?
I have found that bare bottom and thin sand bed are easier to syphon. You dont want to disturb a deep sandbed. You can syphon the top 1/2" or so. And there are some fish, such as some wrasse's that need a deep sandbed. Some snail and starfish will like some kind of sand.
Just a couple things to think about.

Gryphon

I was figuring on probably around an inch, inch and a half for sand bed thickness.

Once I get this tank I'll have a better idea what I'm going to do with it, but initial thought is to set up one corner for an overflow and route it down into a sump or refugium. I have a tank that was previously one or the other (no dividers inside) that I think will hopefully work. When I get the tank tomorrow I'll post pictures of both.

Gryphon

yeah, with both the tank and the sump being acrylic its just a matter of measuring and ordering the pieces from TAP along with the solvent. Which is the better way to go, a sump or a refugium?