The Search for the Ultimate Fish Food

Anthony J.

The Oscars website is a site with a emphasis on oscars, but it caters to most cichlids. Either way, as RD pointed out in tbe the other thread, that list was compiled by a guy with no expertise in the field. Who is mearly comparing ingredient lists. There's no way that a simple ingredients list has enough info, specifically on absorption rates, delivery etc etc. So, it is an excellent source for a quick look at at all the Ingredients in one quick place, and as a general reference, deserves a bookmark in my opinion for the compiled Information. But I wouldn't take the ratings to seriously.
I have no experience with cobalt, I would look Into it, but with the old rule, if its not broke don't.... I am very happy and confident with NLS.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
earthfish said:
Still thats for oscars
The food reviews are just good basics as to why certain ingredients are better than others. There are a lot of different brands and types not spefic to just oscars..

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Actually there is some good info.

I appreciated this: "If you feed your fish a diet that is high in terrestrial based carbs such as gluten meal, corn, soybeans, wheat, potatoes, rice, etc - adding a probiotic such as Bacillus subtilis in large enough quantity could possibly increase the feed conversion ratio"

Kind of helps explain why some foods may use a probiotic, to compensate for a high grain diet.

Chiisai

DMD123 said:
Actually there is some good info.

I appreciated this: "If you feed your fish a diet that is high in terrestrial based carbs such as gluten meal, corn, soybeans, wheat, potatoes, rice, etc - adding a probiotic such as Bacillus subtilis in large enough quantity could possibly increase the feed conversion ratio"

Kind of helps explain why some foods may use a probiotic, to compensate for a high grain diet.
Yes but offers no proof that "terrestrial" ingredients are inferior. In fact all the testing was done with terrestrial ingredients and nowhere did any of the articles even suggest terrestrial based fish foods were in any way lacking. IDK just seems like some of the folks that are most vocal about how something is better food wise produce more conjecture then facts. I will continue to search for a food that the ingredient list satisfies me.

On a side note it would seem to me that adding any probiotic to ANY food would make sense. After all we are producing a synthetic enviroment for them, it stands to reason un-naturally maintaining health would be appropriate. Though based on one of those studies it would appear its short lived.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Fish food is a personal preference. I find all of these topics on foods to be completely subjective! Facts, w/o opinion are hard to find. Even researchers have motivation for doing their research ( monetary, fame/ credit, or just simply to prove their point, disprove someone else's ) And when people think they know it all, This tends to lead to members' unwillingness to recognize that other peoples viewpoints probably hold merit. With that said, chilsai, I think you are on the right path for choosing for yourself. Simple put, food is energy, and living things need energy to survive. And my craziest point I'd like to make is that the hobby has been around forever, with people successfully keeping their fish, without these new (last 20 years) foods. Good luck in your search! But like I said on a previous post in another topic, if you want cutting edge food technology. Check out the flowerhorn pages they have foods that can do everything our big name brands can do and more,

cichlid-gal

lloyd378 said:
Fish food is a personal preference. I find all of these topics on foods to be completely subjective! Facts, w/o opinion are hard to find. Even researchers have motivation for doing their research ( monetary, fame/ credit, or just simply to prove their point, disprove someone else's )  And when people think they know it all, This tends to lead to members' unwillingness to recognize that other peoples viewpoints probably hold merit. With that said, chilsai, I think you are on the right path for choosing for yourself. Simple put, food is energy, and living things need energy to survive.   And my craziest point I'd like to make is that the hobby has been around forever, with people successfully keeping their fish, without these new (last 20 years) foods.  Good luck in your search!  But like I said on a previous post in another topic, if you want cutting edge food technology. Check out the flowerhorn pages they have foods that can do everything our big name brands can do and more,  
Sharing what you feed is not subjective but your opinions about it are (as are mine...LOL). I'm interested in reading about all these foods as like I said, I know my foods can maybe improved. So before I run out of them I'd like to have some various types of food on a list that I've either researched or read about and think that maybe they would be good foods to try. And its OK to say you would not try something and why.

Lloyd...did you share the link to the flowerhorn site where the foods were being discussed? I'd be interested in reading about some of them. I'm open to all foods but like you I like to make my own decisions about them and the ingredients that I find in them. I'm just reading and taking in a lot of stuff now. Its very interesting to see so much interest and input in what I think is a good topic. Keep it coming. I'm enjoying this thread and the depth of information I'm learning here. Thank you everyone who is participating and giving input.

OH...and I DID go out and get John and I some spirulina powder. We had smoothies last weekend (it overpowered the fruit I put in them so I'm going to have to work on the mix a bit). The powder is costly so smoothies won't be a daily thing but having one weekly or a couple of times a week kinda makes me feel like I'm doing something good for us.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
the hobby has been around forever, with people successfully keeping their fish, without these new (last 20 years) foods.
Very true, I have an old aquarium book that the main focus was raising your own foods to feed since the food industry was not what it is today.

One thing that bothers me in the fish food industry are the claims of what a certain food may be able to do. Some of these claims can really never be proven. Increased life span? Just feeding the food alone is supposed to do that? Really there should be a disclaimer with that claim that says: 'When fed in moderation with water conditions kept within parameters'. Food is just one part of the overall picture. The conditions are pets are kept in are just as important.