The 300 Gallon Build

Madness

Staff member
Beautiful tank, I have one as well. But I must ask why you didnt utilize the overflows and hook your canister directly to it?

lymitliss

I thought about it, but after talking to a couple people about it I decided it would be easier for me to run it this way initially. I think I'll add a sump eventually.

lymitliss

After some time tracking down an affordable local source for the CEMEX Lapis Lustre Monterey Sand I finally found one. I took a trip down there this afternoon and picked up 400lbs. Wanting to keep the sand fairly shallow (as there won't be too many plants in the tank), I used about 150lbs of sand and stashed the rest. The idea is that I don't take up too much volume with the aquarium sand, while still allowing for enough so my future Stingray will be comfortable.

The fish were pretty well behaved while I was adding the sand, however the Datnoid made it very obvious to me afterwards that he is not pleased.

20160208_161702_zps2nzfwdam.jpg

20160208_181651_zpsalp5vgnn.jpg

20160208_181658_zpsaij9xcwe.jpg

20160208_184513_zpsg3smjmrw.jpg

20160208_184518_zpsxyvbwafc.jpg

20160208_185330_zpsfunjxyw7.jpg

20160208_185332_zpsrfmsnm8d.jpg

20160208_185346_zpsauth1s2v.jpg

Last edited:
Did you get the sand from Manufacturer's Minerals Co (http://manminco.com/) in Renton? That is the only source I know. When I was there over a year ago they were friendly and told me they sell a lot to aquarium people, but they're only open daytime hours M-F, so it is tough for me to get back there. I want to get their really fine stuff for some Corydoras tanks I'm planning.

lymitliss

I like the sand. Did it take much rinsing or is it pretty clean?

No, I didn't rinse at all. It is very clean and basically dust free. I just poured it into buckets, dipped it into the tank and slowly pulled the bucket out so it poured where I wanted it.

lymitliss

Did you get the sand from Manufacturer's Minerals Co (http://manminco.com/) in Renton? That is the only source I know. When I was there over a year ago they were friendly and told me they sell a lot to aquarium people, but they're only open daytime hours M-F, so it is tough for me to get back there. I want to get their really fine stuff for some Corydoras tanks I'm planning.

Yeah I believe that's where I ended up, they closed at 4:30 so I had to hurry. That's part of why I bought extra, so I wouldn't have to go back anytime soon.

Betty

Staff member
Good to know. I use pool filter sand in mine, but it takes a lot of rinsing to get it clear.

Yeah I believe that's where I ended up, they closed at 4:30 so I had to hurry. That's part of why I bought extra, so I wouldn't have to go back anytime soon.

Yeah I called at 3:30pm last Friday and the lady was honest: Well, we close at 4:30pm but, uhh, well it is Friday and sometimes the guys like to take off. :)

lymitliss

I believe it was around $100 for materials but my dad built it for me, so I saved a lot of money. It's just 2x4s and MDF.

Madness

Staff member
Where did you get the sand? I use Lapis Luster in all my tanks, and knew exactly where to get it. Hopefully you didnt pay much...

Madness

Staff member
nice, that is where I would have sent you. Not many know that they have an enormous selection of aquarium substrate

lymitliss

Wow, didn't realize it had been so long since I've updated this thread! This tank has undergone a few changes recently. I had it planted for quite a while, unfortunately with this selection of fish, it's not easy to keep plants planted. :rolleyes: So today, the plants that were left in the tank (that have been floating for months) finally got pulled out.

In addition to that, I finally set aside some time to hook up my custom sump! This is a 40 gallon breeder I managed to snag at one of the past GSAS auctions. I built the sump probably close to 6 months ago and never got around to hooking it up. I'm still adjusting temperature and water level after hooking the sump up and moving both heaters into it.

Be sure to check out the video at the bottom of this post-

Laying the pipes out-
20161002_114758_zpspknmqso6.jpg

Draining water so it doesn't dump out the overflow while working-
20161002_121612_zpsj6wifxsh.jpg

Sucking the water and gunk out of the overflow-
20161002_121618_zpsxeolqrbu.jpg

Return hose and connections-
20161002_153613_zpsffq9wfch.jpg

Finished sump-
20161002_153623_zpssallm4ra.jpg

20161002_174822_zpsijpv1vxz.jpg