The 300 Gallon Build

lymitliss

So after a month or two of deliberation, I decided to go ahead and get the 300 gallon Marineland tank while it was on sale. I have an Arowana that is growing rapidly and will soon be big enough to eat everything I have in my 125g. As of right now, the plan is to get the 300 set up, move my Arowana over into it and possibly buy a couple of Stingrays to put in with him. The tank will be in the basement, in a cement floor rec room which is also near a bathroom with a wash tub.

This will be a fairly basic build, but I figured I would document the progress as I go.

The basic idea I have is-
-300g tank
-Fx6 filter connected to built in over flow
-Custom tank stand
-Custom tank lids made of Sunlite
-Have not yet decided if I want to do fine sand, or as suggested, leave it bare bottom and paint the underside with Plasti dip or textured paint to give a sand look.
-Will most likely use a couple Finnex lights.
-Heaters will most likely be Eheim, quantity and wattage to be decided.

So far I have the tank-
Temporarily placed on an old set of cabinets in my garage, until I have the stand built and ready

20151125_185748_zpssis4fkhj.jpg

20151125_193645_zpsay89kqyq.jpg

20151125_193712_zps6pw3zji1.jpg

I was also lucky enough to have grabbed one of the Fluval FX6 filters on sale today at Aquarium Co-Op-

20151127_093958_zps7wgrqhzk.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Very cool deep dimension tank! I just got my 300g recently but went with a 96 x 24 footprint. Cant wait to see your pics as you set it up.

lymitliss

Thanks guys! I'm very excited to get this set up.

As for the connections, not sure what I want to do yet. The tank came pre drilled with an over flow in both of the back corners, but the connections are different sizes. I need to decided how I want to connect the FX6.

20151127_111424_zpsq0zprtcu.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I end up just using 1" black pond tubing and standard plumbing pvc to make connections to my FX5's. The lightweight hose they include is easy to work with but does not allow for much adaptability.

krislhull

I've been toying with making a custom plumbing system for my FX6 as well, and will need to do that next year when I start converting my 210 to run on my FX6 and a wet/dry sump. where do you get the tubing from?

Ali

So after a month or two of deliberation, I decided to go ahead and get the 300 gallon Marineland tank while it was on sale. I have an Arowana that is growing rapidly and will soon be big enough to eat everything I have in my 125g. As of right now, the plan is to get the 300 set up, move my Arowana over into it and possibly buy a couple of Stingrays to put in with him. The tank will be in the basement, in a cement floor rec room which is also near a bathroom with a wash tub.

This will be a fairly basic build, but I figured I would document the progress as I go.

The basic idea I have is-
-300g tank
-Fx6 filter connected to built in over flow
-Custom tank stand
-Custom tank lids made of Sunlite
-Have not yet decided if I want to do fine sand, or as suggested, leave it bare bottom and paint the underside with Plasti dip or textured paint to give a sand look.
-Will most likely use a couple Finnex lights.
-Heaters will most likely be Eheim, quantity and wattage to be decided.

So far I have the tank-
Temporarily placed on an old set of cabinets in my garage, until I have the stand built and ready

20151125_185748_zpssis4fkhj.jpg

20151125_193645_zpsay89kqyq.jpg

20151125_193712_zps6pw3zji1.jpg

I was also lucky enough to have grabbed one of the Fluval FX6 filters on sale today at Aquarium Co-Op-

20151127_093958_zps7wgrqhzk.jpg

Is that house-brand fertilizer? Tell me more tell me more!

lymitliss

Finally got my stand in progress thanks to my dad. Top still needs to be painted and screwed down. There will also be doors on the front so I can access the FX6 inside.

20151213_192046_zpslvpn5kag.jpg

20151213_192058_zps1f4vhnsw.jpg

20151213_192123_zpstsiczjcc.jpg

lymitliss

Picked up some plumbing supplies. This should be enough to close off the built in overflows and returns so I can run my FX6 separately.

20151214_211411_zpsfkumcske.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciate the updates! Ive been a bit slow getting my 300g going, and seeing your posts has motivated me! Keep up the good work!

lymitliss

Got to spend some time on the 300g today. Things are happening a little bit out of order because in addition to getting this tank and stand set up, I'm also in the middle of a remodel.

We spent today drilling/cutting some holes in the stand for the plumbing and cords, started painting the top and also painted the wall and laid the carpet tiles in the corner of the room the tank will be placed in.

I wouldn't normally do these things in such a strange order, but I'm eager to get this tank going and I figured it would be best if that corner of the room was finished before I put a huge tank in it.

20151220_133027_zpsvplenm18.jpg
20151220_150916_zps1c9n8qvx.jpg
20151220_154012_zps9bfhbicc.jpg
20151220_174022_zps8mb5omdd.jpg

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
When it's all built are we doing a BBQ at your house when the weather is nicer? :D Wafishbox meet up