Taming the Beast (100 Gallon Tank Restoration Project)

pbmax

Well, that was a far less exciting answer than I was hoping for. You need to work on a better response to that question. :cyclops:

nick_76

PokeSephiroth said:
Okay, before this topic gets carried away about filters. There are proper topics out there for filter talkage. Let's bring it back to the original topic. TAMING THE BEAST!!! lol!!
i thought it was video games?

pbmax, hahahahaha... I really don't know. I WOULD like to make it into a shrimp tank, but 55 gallons is a little overkill for a shrimp only tank. Also, there's no room in the house for another 55 gallon tank. Believe me, I've tried measuring around in ALL the rooms (even the garage) but we have a small garage, the Celica barely fits in there haha...

Not to mention, all the money I'd have to put into it again (stocking it, buying decor, sand/gravel, etc.) If I had a disposable income, I'd build a fish room for myself and put all my tanks in there. Alas, a boy can dream, can he not? :D

Lamental Jester

PokeSephiroth said:
pbmax, to tell you the truth... I don't know. I might sell it. I might store it. I might... *shrug* XD
You know, there are some good charities out there. I here the Lamental Jester MTS Relief Fund is an excellent one :D

PokeSephiroth said:
pbmax, hahahahaha... I really don't know. I WOULD like to make it into a shrimp tank, but 55 gallons is a little overkill for a shrimp only tank. Also, there's no room in the house for another 55 gallon tank. Believe me, I've tried measuring around in ALL the rooms (even the garage) but we have a small garage, the Celica barely fits in there haha...

Not to mention, all the money I'd have to put into it again (stocking it, buying decor, sand/gravel, etc.) If I had a disposable income, I'd build a fish room for myself and put all my tanks in there. Alas, a boy can dream, can he not? :D
Looks like you caught it! As I was writing that you wrote this! Welcome to the club!

Addicted2CAs, Well, I've already got 4 tanks totall, running... that's my 55 gallon, my 36 gallon, 20 gallon, and 10 gallon... (not to mention the other 55 gallon I have for my land hermit crabs, making a total of 5 tanks)

In the near future, that 100 gallon is going to replace the 55 gallon tank.

CRAP. This house is going to become a swimming pool at this rate! hahahaha!!!

Lamental Jester, I'd be wary about keeping a 55 gallon in an apartment though. Might wanna check in with your landlord or something like that. Especially if you're living in the upper levels.

Lamental Jester

PokeSephiroth said:
Lamental Jester, I'd be wary about keeping a 55 gallon in an apartment though. Might wanna check in with your landlord or something like that. Especially if you're living in the upper levels.
Duuuuuuuude, hello, did you forget about my 75 gal?

Lamental Jester, first of all.... craaaaap I totally screwed up with my coding (underline and italics) . . . . fail. :(

second, ohhhhhh yeah... Looks like I did forget about the 75 gal. Holy crap. Go me. Losing my memory already, and I'm not even turning 26 yet (not for another 3 days that is).

Lamental Jester

PokeSephiroth said:
Lamental Jester, first of all.... craaaaap I totally screwed up with my coding (underline and italics) . . . . fail. :(
zoid_zps4a2c0de6.jpg

Sooooooooo.... the flooring never got worked on, and I'm pretty sure this house CANNOT sustain the weight of a full 100 gallon tank. With that said, the beast is still in the garage. HOWEVER... it is full with water (well, 75% full), and it has some inhabitants in there (White Cloud Mountain Minnows and Red Cherry Shrimp). I'm hoping they breed like mad. Just cuz. :)

Anyway, I've tried cleaning that thing with all my might, and .... it's clean, but it has exposed ALL the scratches that the eye can see. It also has this odd foggy film, that I can't seem to clean off, because it's like... inside the glass (if that makes any sense) ... must be from old age. So, I guess it won't be good enough to become a show tank, but it will be good enough for a tank that's just sitting in the garage, with some low maintenance fish (and by low maintenance, I mean fish that cost so cheap, that I wouldn't mind if they were eaten. Water changes and all that jazz still apply, hehe.)

Alas, I highly DOUBT I am going to convert this tank into a planted tank. It only has some Elodea Canadensis and Vallisneria Spiralis... that's probably all the plants I'm going to add......for now.

I basically got all decor from my odds and ends and stuff I just had that weren't being used (Thanks to Cory for giving me some of the fake looking driftwood) ... basically plastic plants galore, that I've just had lying around in the house.

This is basically just going to be my experimenting tank (whatever that means). =P

Heck I even put in a bubble wand, whatever good that does, moving water, sure. As for a filter, I have a powerhead with a prefilter on it. I might add a sponge filter if I manage to find one, or just buy one, I don't know. I'm kinda just half a**ing this tank because it's not going to be a show tank. Basically I'm just going to provide the necessary things for the fish and shrimp to live comfortably. =P Here are some pictures of the beast in all its "glory".

There are about 200+ White Cloud Mountain Minnows, a ton of Red Cherry Shrimp (thanks lars on!) 1 unknown baby catfish looking thing that I caught at Tiger Lake, and 1 Neon Tetra that came from my 36 Gallon tank, which I thought was going to die, it's back fin was literally almost gone and it was listing in the water, so I figured I'd just transfer it to the 100 gallon tank for the shrimp to munch on after it died......but it's still alive and kicking, and its fin has grown back (whoa) so I might just have to transfer him back to the 36 gallon tank. We'll see.