Taming the Beast (100 Gallon Tank Restoration Project)

nick_76

K the ecco is by no means a bad filter.i do think its great...... My basis for comparison is the 2026 can swallow the ecco whole. The entire filter powerhead and all fits inside the 2026. If I had the time this morning id calculate the volumes...I imagine the 2026 holds twice the volume than the ecco.
The 2026 has a more robust connection for the hoses and the outside diameter of the ecco hoses is roughly the same as the inside diameter as the 2026s...small changes in diameter have huge effects on area (I learned this on sailboats where I found a 4 inch diameter vent has twice the area of opening as a 3 inch one)so my hope is to eventually run both but the 2026 will be the primary.

Ff7 was not bad by any measure and the ones that came after it were pretty games to watch...but thats the whole point...with 7 came cinematics that grew to overwelm the game to the point where it felt as if u were watching a movie where u get to make occaisional choices. Not bad games...and I umm played mostly through most of them but I like the older ones better. Ff1 was groundbreaking, the newer ones are primarily a display of the latest systems capabilities.
Like I said, metal gear has fallen into the same trap

nick_76, I have to admit, I felt exactly the same way for FF13/FF13-2 . . . felt more like a movie than anything else. FF9 was nice, as it tried taking a step back to its "roots" with the classic Job System, rather than having everyone gain the same abilities (FF7's Materia System, and FF8's Junction System) which gave the players too much customization, which... I thought was cool, but it got old fast. Currently replaying FF8 on my PSP, and it's nice reliving the moments =P I just hate grinding, but fortunately, FF8's monster level adjustment things even things out and doesn't require you to grind levels as much. Don't even get me started with FF11 or 14. Ugh. Have you tried the FF: Dissidia games?

As for the eheim filter, or any canister filter for that matter... I have no experience with canister filters until I got the eheim 2232 and fluval204 from lars on... lol, so I'm just grateful that I got em from her for free :D

nick_76

after my first canister filter, i never wanted any other type.....its hard to beat them for the amount of filter material. I had a fluidized bed filter for a brittle star tank i did once, but they can be a pain restarting...once the water stops flowing, the sand compacts pretty quickly..of course they may have found ways of overcoming this in the past 15 years since ive had mine

HOBs have almost no filter material compared to ...say an eheim or fluval canister. I saw an API one that was expandable that looked pretty worthless as a canister, it seemed to essentially have several small HOB type filters placed inside

as for gaming, i havent used my ps3 as much as id like, i have a whole stack of half finished games. my time i can afford to invest in it seems to run in long cycles...same with comp games.

BillHN

*reads prior posts and facepalms*
FF8 was where it's at, and by the way, what happened to fire emblem?
Don't you people know your true favorites???? :(

On a fish note,
O.O The whole canister filter stuff is spanish to me = no bueno, no se.
lol

Looks like ur doing a great job though angelo!

BillHN, believe me, there are just way too many terms and model numbers and things like that when it comes to canister filters.. .I won't even start on what types of bio media there are out there. omg, it really is like trying to learn a new language. I already speak English and Tagalog, that's good enough for me! XD

FF8 is...... so-so. I...I've yet to get Selfie's "The End" spell. I remember being SO pissed because it turned up during her limit break, but a monster killed me before she could use it. Then it showed up AGAIN, but I accidentally pressed the option where you re-roll instead of cast...UGH. Never again.

I didn't catch on with Fire Emblem :( I liked Star Ocean: 2nd Story on the PS1 though, been replaying the remade version of Star Ocean 1 on the PSP and it's fun being able to play the first star ocean story from the SNES. :D

nick_76

actually, cans are pretty simple as long as u subscribe to the more is betterer approach to filtration.

compare this: http://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/18/21/52/71/img_2012.jpg

thats a HOB filter media compared to the filter cartridge for my 2026. fill it with the same stuff, same filtration rules apply...just instead of some carbon in a tiny cotton or poly "sock" you have a ginourmous monolith of filtration. also, you have options on what you fill it with...but the choices arent exotic or anything, you can just tailor the filter to your own needs, and use lots & LOTS of filter material....meaning lots more room for our friendly crud eating bugs to grow in. after going to cans i knew id never go back..not by choice at least

i cut my teeth on rpgs on the nes....slowed down on genesis, and by the time i got my original playstation, i was more focused on the comp. games like fallout (from teh original onwards) and elder scrolls series pretty much had no need for cinematics...

generally with rpgs i prefer them to be on the comp anyway

I've got to say, if your looking for a bacteria filter that is easier to maintain than a fluidized bed a wet/dry takes the cake. I have them on all tanks and the difference is clear, literally! Just my two cents on filtration for larger tanks! I hope I don't start a fight! lol

nick_76

i considered doing a wet/dry...well, when i saw an eheim wet/dry (ive been scouring for parts for mine, and came across this) and i read a number of reviews saing the wet/drys dont like to play nice with planted tanks...or co2 setups or something i cant remember, but it seemed unsuitable for what i had planned..but it is something id like to play with at some point

youre not starting a fight here, ill try anything twice...but so far cans are my favorite

I know filter threads can get a little opinionated at times thats why I say that! :D The problem with a wet/dry pertaining to a planted tank is the massive amount of gas exchange that goes on. Meaning if you Co2 inject it would all off-gas when it hit the wet/dry and O2 would be added, great for a non-planted tank, not so good when you need the Co2!

Madness

Staff member
I know that canisters can be efficient (sometimes) and easy, but the amount of disease that grows in them is insane. I mean really, a dark, warm, moist place with an abundant amount of food waste and body waste collecting on the inside. The filter pads do not hold it all, as you all know. If anyone is starting or has a large tank, I would highly recommend a wet/dry.

As for a planted tank, I am sure there is a way to make it work. :cheers: RESEARCH :cheers:

I already have this in mind. It's a trickle wet/dry filter for CHEAP. And perhaps I will do this... although, I might just stick with the first filter, as this canister filter is just... too good to be true (and cheap to) . . . heck, lots of uarujoey's diy projects are frickin' amazing.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/YZJBm89MuzU[/flash]

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/UVWqq73mW_4" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

There, that should make everyone happy. lololol

madness said:
I know that canisters can be efficient (sometimes) and easy, but the amount of disease that grows in them is insane. I mean really, a dark, warm, moist place with an abundant amount of food waste and body waste collecting on the inside. The filter pads do not hold it all, as you all know. If anyone is starting or has a large tank, I would highly recommend a wet/dry.

As for a planted tank, I am sure there is a way to make it work. :cheers: RESEARCH :cheers:
That is the reason I'm not a fan. I have one cascade 1500 on the big tank, just for that extra flow and when I clean it there are ALWAYS pockets that collect junk and let it rot even further. This seems to be counter intuitive in my mind to what efficient filtration should consist of.

My experience with wet/dry filtration has been phenomenal. Fish are more active, eat better, color up better, less issues with disease, a more stable tank, and the most crystal clear water around even when slacking on water changes. The 160 runs a huge wet/dry and now with the auto drip it stays pristine and you would think the fish are snorting lines of cocaine they are so active! lol Sorry if I come off as a little biased :D

As for making a wet/dry yourself, the possibilities are infinite. I have gotten to the point where I just look at something and transform it in my head into a wet/dry!

Okay, before this topic gets carried away about filters. There are proper topics out there for filter talkage. Let's bring it back to the original topic. TAMING THE BEAST!!! lol!!

It's been filled with water for 3 days now, and I just finished scrubbing/scraping the CRAP out of the tank. Now the water is murky. Ew. Time to drain this beast :)

DRAIN BEAST!!! DRAAAAAIIIIIIIIN!!!

pbmax

PokeSephiroth said:
Okay, before this topic gets carried away about filters. There are proper topics out there for filter talkage. Let's bring it back to the original topic.
Yes, Officer. :joker:

pbmax

So maybe I missed it... but what are you going to throw in this thing? SHRIMP!? :D

How about something like this:

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/_CTQBgq0Y2A" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

pbmax, as Cory once said... when he got that huge tank for his store.......

GUPPIES.

LOL... no. I'm going to replace my 55 gallon tank that's in the livingroom, so everything in there, is going in the 100 gallon.

And holy crap... that shrimp looks weird.

pbmax

PokeSephiroth said:
pbmax, as Cory once said... when he got that huge tank for his store.......

GUPPIES.
WIN! :cyclops:
LOL... no. I'm going to replace my 55 gallon tank that's in the livingroom, so everything in there, is going in the 100 gallon.
Excellent. So where's the 55 going? What are you going to do with IT?
And holy crap... that shrimp looks weird.
Don't stick your hand in the tank :affraid: