Shrimp Tank Additives

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
My first aquarium was one of those silver metal framed ones ... about ten gallons I think and the ding dongs at the pet store sold us a pair of angels, a pair of oscars, a pleco and a cory cat. The oscars killed the angels and my mum went ballistic and flushed them. Then they gave me a few neons. Still have a soft spot for neons, corys and plecos.

Awww. OMG. That's the saddest story I've ever heard.

Let me buy you a drink.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
My shrimp rocks came today -- the mineral ones that Mark's Shrimp Tanks (YouTube) suggested. He's kind of like a shrimp god to me so I'm going to go ahead and do whatever the hell he says!

Installing NOW.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
So far so good. Happy Shrimp. Ordered six more shrimp -- not PRLs this time - from The Shrimp Farm. Thinking this might boost my genetics long term.

Still working out that rock hide I want to make....

17mars

So far so good. Happy Shrimp. Ordered six more shrimp -- not PRLs this time - from The Shrimp Farm. Thinking this might boost my genetics long term..
I think Lucas (LR Bretz) or LupDiesel commented on this recently... make sure not to put them in with your current shrimp. Separate set up. But I seem to remember you just got some other tanks, didn't you?

Betty

Staff member
I think Lucas (LR Bretz) or LupDiesel commented on this recently... make sure not to put them in with your current shrimp. Separate set up. But I seem to remember you just got some other tanks, didn't you?
I think I heard something like that in one of Cory's recent video interviews with a shrimp keeper.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@17mars @Betty I planned on housing these guys together. Those guys sell shrimp and need to keep track of genetics....I'm just wallowing in the glory of shrimp keeping.

Why couldn't I put them together? Am I missing something important??

Betty

Staff member
@VickiK Are you getting the new shrimp from a different source or the same place? There was some mention of mixing from different sources in Cory's video about shrimp keeping. I'll see if I can find it again. (I wasn't paying close attention and don't remember exactly why he said not to mix.)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
No different sources. I was thinking of improving genetics. If my first batch are PRLs and this next batch - which will be here tomorrow or Thurs is highest grade CRS, that's helpful right?

Betty

Staff member
Okay, here's the video -- hopefully it starts at the right part when he talks about mixing colonies. Then he talks about PRLs. The important part starts around 23:00.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Since I've given up on having a nice rock pile for a shrimp nursery, I got them all a nice complex chunk of cholla wood too. It finally sunk sometime last night. This morning, there was like six or seven on it/in it/through it. It looked like a Disney ride for Shrimps! They're loving it. I also think the PRLs are happy for some new shrimp friends and (hopefully) girfriends with benefits.