Shrimp Tank Additives

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@VickiK How are Marge and The Darryls? Did you just sit and watch them all weekend?

I check on them every morning and every afternoon when I come home from work - and then before it's "Lights out" at nighttime. They are probably thinking, "Oh gawd. There's that nutty broad with the glasses, staring at us again. Creepy!"

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Like the names. (Daryl is one of my favorites on the Walking Dead! :D) I hope they are doing well.

Ohhhh! You like the Walking Dead? Actually, that name has nothing to do with that show. It's from the old Bob Newhart show. And now, you know how ridiculously old I am. lol

Oh - and they seem to be fine although I haven't counted 10 since I released them into their Shrimp Nirvana a few days ago....

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
The Darryls and Large Marge seems to be doing great. Mark's Shrimp Tanks made a video a couple days ago about mineral rocks and I immediately ordered one (should arrive today). He makes his own RO water and reminteralizes it with the same stuff I have - but if he STILL needs mineral rocks for CRS, then I need mineral rocks for CRS. I'm using distilled re-mineralized water.

Another experiment is happening on the kitchen counter as we speak. (I'm at work) I want to make a rock pile like L.R. Bretz says he does in his shrimp tanks. He says it makes a "safe nursery" for the shrimplets. Makes sense. BUT, rocks can sometimes add to your TDS - which, as you know, I've struggled with. Since all my other parameters are solid, I don't want to screw that up so I put them in a bowl with distilled water. When I get home, I'm going to check the TDS. It was 3 when I left this morning. If it goes up at all significantly - the rocks will go into the endler grow out tank.

I'm blinding myself with Science!

17mars

Add another "old girl!" I got the Darryls right away. Is Large Marge a reflection on Pee Wee's Large Marge or something else.
I would be wary of the rock pile simply because the shrimp would disappear into it and you'll never get to enjoy them.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Add another "old girl!" I got the Darryls right away. Is Large Marge a reflection on Pee Wee's Large Marge or something else.
I would be wary of the rock pile simply because the shrimp would disappear into it and you'll never get to enjoy them.

Large Marge is Adam The Woo's name for his motorhome. That guy is hysterical. I'm addicted to his YouTube channel.

Agreed on the rock pile, however, if they are happy, feeling safe and breeding like rabbits - there will be plenty to see! I want to be overrun with CRS!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@Betty @17mars

I have an idea: cocktails after we all attend the next Swap Meet and call it an "Old Fish Girls Meet Up" heh heh I don't remember pistons in air pumps, but I do remember thick, silver metal framed aquariums!

FishBeast

@Reef&LivebearerAquatic @Knutsen1122 @FishBeast @17mars @Betty @julzhull

OK Shrimp Keepers - I put about 2 cups of rocks into one bowl that holds a little more than 2 cups. I poured distilled water on it.

This morning - TDS was 3. As of right now - TDS is 8. It went up FIVE. There is a tiny volume of water in that bowl though.

That seems like a "No" though, doesn't it?
Hi Vicki! It seems that they are leaching a bit into the water but to be sure, you can do a quick test to see if a rock will leach carbonates or other minerals that can add to the TDS... When I collect rocks for my tanks, and after rinsing and drying, I test each one with a drop of HCl (a.k.a. muriatic acid). If it bubbles, then I don't use it. :)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Hi Vicki! It seems that they are leaching a bit into the water but to be sure, you can do a quick test to see if a rock will leach carbonates or other minerals that can add to the TDS... When I collect rocks for my tanks, and after rinsing and drying, I test each one with a drop of HCl (a.k.a. muriatic acid). If it bubbles, then I don't use it. :)

Oh good. Another thing I get to buy for this shrimp tank.

lol

Thanks Fishbeast. You're the bomb.

Betty

Staff member
I'm not sure what it's used for (maybe whether or not the rock raises pH), but I've heard of people using vinegar to test rocks. Haven't done it myself, so not sure if it would work in place of the acid?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I'm not sure what it's used for (maybe whether or not the rock raises pH), but I've heard of people using vinegar to test rocks. Haven't done it myself, so not sure if it would work in place of the acid?

Sounds hopeful! Goes to GOOGLE!

17mars

@Betty @17mars

I have an idea: cocktails after we all attend the next Swap Meet and call it an "Old Fish Girls Meet Up" heh heh I don't remember pistons in air pumps, but I do remember thick, silver metal framed aquariums!

My first aquarium was one of those silver metal framed ones ... about ten gallons I think and the ding dongs at the pet store sold us a pair of angels, a pair of oscars, a pleco and a cory cat. The oscars killed the angels and my mum went ballistic and flushed them. Then they gave me a few neons. Still have a soft spot for neons, corys and plecos.