Shrimp Tank Additives

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Pictures or it didn't happen, right?

My Shrimp Substrate Change of February 2017 is over. I got fueled up on Orange Crush and went for it.

I tried -- for an hour, while watching Forensic Files -- to pick out the crushed coral pieces using all manner of implements --- but had to stop. It was just wayyyy too frustrating. The tiny bits of black that I did get singled out -- that I thought were coral free - weren't. SO I actually put some teeny bits BACK IN THE TANK. That scream you heard yesterday afternoon? That was me. Attached is an image of all the fun. lol

Rocks from Hell.jpg

FishBeast

My Shrimp Substrate Change of February 2017 is over. I got fueled up on Orange Crush and went for it.

I tried -- for an hour, while watching Forensic Files -- to pick out the crushed coral pieces using all manner of implements --- but had to stop. It was just wayyyy too frustrating. The tiny bits of black that I did get singled out -- that I thought were coral free - weren't. SO I actually put some teeny bits BACK IN THE TANK. That scream you heard yesterday afternoon? That was me. Attached is an image of all the fun. lol

View attachment 3620
I heard the scream, @VickiK ... I thought for a moment it was one of my kids discovering an unflushed toilet. But now that you mentioned this, I am sure it was you. ;)

julzhull

View attachment 3620
OMG. That looks horrible. You deserve a medal.

Last edited:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Haha awesome! Almost, what is your tds and ph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This morning, TDS is 117 and PH fairly stable. (see notes below) I'm so jacked! I'm almost there!

Here's a question for you, Colin; I have the strips, the master test kit and now the GH/KH test kit. When I do the "high PH" test, it always comes in at that first number/color - 7.2 or something - the light, light brown at the top of the color chart. When I do the "regular" PH it rides between the last number (a couple days ago) and the one above it (yesterday); the light turquoise color.

I follow the test instructions to the letter. How can I have two different readings?? What am I doing wrong?

julzhull

This morning, TDS is 117 and PH fairly stable. (see notes below) I'm so jacked! I'm almost there!

Here's a question for you, Colin; I have the strips, the master test kit and now the GH/KH test kit. When I do the "high PH" test, it always comes in at that first number/color - 7.2 or something - the light, light brown at the top of the color chart. When I do the "regular" PH it rides between the last number (a couple days ago) and the one above it (yesterday); the light turquoise color.

I follow the test instructions to the letter. How can I have two different readings?? What am I doing wrong?
I was thinking you only use the high PH test when your PH is really high. If it's within the normal range for the regular PH test I don't think you need to use it. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable can weigh in.

Knutsen1122

I agree with julzhull. No need to use the high range test. Also, I suggest throwing away the test strips haha. If you need a backup test you can buy an electronic ph tester.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@julzhull & @Knutsen1122
Gotcha.

TDS today went DOWN! FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER WITHOUT A WATER CHANGE.

It's 116 today - but I forgot to subtract 10 from all these readings on the new meter as that's as close as I could get it calibrated to the solution so REALLY I am and have been just above 100 for a number of days now!

Mannnnnnnnn am I jacked!!!

Cory's doing a live stream on shrimp this Sunday and you KNOW I'm going to be watching that vid! I may even show up for the livestream (something I've never done).

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I agree with julzhull. No need to use the high range test. Also, I suggest throwing away the test strips haha. If you need a backup test you can buy an electronic ph tester.

Noted on Shrimp Tank. I got three more tanks though that need obsessive compulsive testing though, Colin. lol

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I went and did it.

I bought 10 Pure Line Crystal Red Shrimp from Flip Aquatics. I like his YouTube vids and he seems like a super nice guy. He has said in his past videos that he "ships on Saturday" so I expected a tracking number at some point yesterday. Nothing yet. Before I made this purchase, I emailed him for some advice and he was pleasant and helpful. Because I buy most things online, I'm pretty used to instant gratification. The dearth (OK, one day) in communication bothers me. I did get a receipt.

If I don't attend Cory's livestream this afternoon (I may be drunk by then) I'll certainly be watching it with my morning coffee tomorrow.

PEOPLE --- IT IS FINALLY HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Not a peep out of my shrimp guy yet. I got anxious and emailed him. LOL Yes. I'm one of THOSE customers. But geeze, I've been waiting for the big SHRIMP arrival day since I decided to go to all this trouble back in October!

*tick tick tick*

@Knutsen1122 - my water parameters are as stable as an IRON GATE

Edited to add - I heard back from Lup Diesel - I will have my shrimp by FRIDAY. X3:lol:rofl

Knutsen1122

Not a peep out of my shrimp guy yet. I got anxious and emailed him. LOL Yes. I'm one of THOSE customers. But geeze, I've been waiting for the big SHRIMP arrival day since I decided to go to all this trouble back in October!

*tick tick tick*

@Knutsen1122 - my water parameters are as stable as an IRON GATE

Edited to add - I heard back from Lup Diesel - I will have my shrimp by FRIDAY. X3:lol:rofl
Very cool! Good luck with the prl!!!