Shrimp Tank Additives

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Well, the mondo water change happened. 12.5 gallons of distilled, remineralized (Salty Shrimp GH KH+) water. I'd have taken more out but the siphon stopped working and it's an awkward, tall tank to get into. My TDS is now 186. That doesn't seem like much but when you know that I started out at 345, it means something. And so, the waiting begins AGAIN. lol I did a little re-scape after digging through the aquarium stuff in the cold, dark shed.

Pictures or it didn't happen, right? ;)

WaterARama1.30.17.jpg RescapeWaterARama1.30.17.jpg Where Distilled Water Bottles Go to Die.jpg

FishBeast

Well, the mondo water change happened. 12.5 gallons of distilled, remineralized (Salty Shrimp GH KH+) water. I'd have taken more out but the siphon stopped working and it's an awkward, tall tank to get into. My TDS is now 186. That doesn't seem like much but when you know that I started out at 345, it means something. And so, the waiting begins AGAIN. lol I did a little re-scape after digging through the aquarium stuff in the cold, dark shed.

Pictures or it didn't happen, right? ;)

View attachment 3526 View attachment 3529 View attachment 3530
Oh wow! I love the new look! Really makes use of the tank's vertical dimension. Keep us posted!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Love the addition of the wood! Will the TDS go down from 186?

Well this morning, it's back up to 200 AND THAT IS PROGRESS! Colin said if I can get it to 200 and keep it there, I'll be OK in the long run. I am going to continue to work on the TDS though and try to get it lower. Maybe the remineralization stuff that I am using -- and that shrimp need - is having an effect too. Now to find the balance!

I did spring for a API Master Test Kit and played with that a little bit this morning before work. I also went to Amazon and got some API stuff that helps bring your PH down.

I'm tellin' ya. These are friggin' Gazillion Dollar Crystal Red Shrimp -- that I don't even have yet.

FishBeast

A nice way to keep pH on the acidic side is just to pop in some Catappa (Indian almond) leaves in the tank. The fry also eat them. I know the Co-op has them.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
A nice way to keep pH on the acidic side is just to pop in some Catappa (Indian almond) leaves in the tank. The fry also eat them. I know the Co-op has them.

Oh @FishBeast , I have spared no expense in this endeavor! I got a few of those and some of those shrimp balls too and even bought alder cones (I probably have a tree in my yard) and tossed it all in there. One whole Catappa leaf has already disintegrated in there. The snails have been working on it.

FishBeast

Oh @FishBeast , I have spared no expense in this endeavor! I got a few of those and some of those shrimp balls too and even bought alder cones (I probably have a tree in my yard) and tossed it all in there. One whole Catappa leaf has already disintegrated in there. The snails have been working on it.
Say "Shrimp Balls" 5 times real fast and as loud as possible.

Knutsen1122

Thanks for your support, Betty! Since the distilled water I has 0 TDS, Colin says that will work fine. This weekend, I"m going to do a 99% water change using remineralized distilled and let it cycle.

THIS HAS TO WORK!

I could have a few cherry shrimp and not go through all this nonsense, right? Someone was posting somewhere that they got some multicolored "Skittles" mix from LR Bretz...I'm thinking, why can't I be happy with that? Well, I can't. I want Crystal Red Shrimp, dammit. I'm not ready to give up. Not yet.

When your tank is stable I have some CRS for you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knutsen1122

Update: PH Lowering juice from API arrived. I had it down 7.0 PH and 190 TDS this morning!

:D <==Giddy, I tell ya. Giddy.
Yaaay!!!!

If you have substrate that actually buffers it should get down to about 6.5. I would say do about a 30% WC with straight distilled water, no re mineralizer. Maybe just a little prime, and let it stabilize. You should try getting your KH to 0. When the KH is 0 your ph will be very unstable and should buffer down to right where you need it.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Yaaay!!!!

If you have substrate that actually buffers it should get down to about 6.5. I would say do about a 30% WC with straight distilled water, no re mineralizer. Maybe just a little prime, and let it stabilize. You should try getting your KH to 0. When the KH is 0 your ph will be very unstable and should buffer down to right where you need it.

Doing this RIGHT NOW!!!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
OK. I did just what you said @Knutsen1122 aka Colin.

Prior to the water change, TDS was back up to 247. After adding the non-remineralized distilled water, it was at 180.
I moved the wood by accident and tons of lovely brown moam (?) came up from the substrate. I took out 12 Liters and added 12 Liters (no remineralization) and, while I was at it, "cleaned" (rinsed/squeezed out in aquarium water) my HOB filter foam, bio rings and the sponge filter. Pic is after about an hour of the water settling. That's a lot of nice goo, right?
Lovely shrimp snacks! The Indian Almond Leaf is totally gone now; only a teeny bit of the skeleton is left. The plants are doing fine (I'm not going to use Easy Green or Easy Iron this week - I normally dose as directed on the bottle), there's Red Ramshorn Snails living it up in there. And the Pennywort is apparently a snail favorite as far as snacks go - fine with me.

And, because I'm an over-achiever, LOL I did a Master Test:
PH Low Range Test read 7.6
PH High Range Test read 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I had to redo the Nitrate test TWICE because I was getting some whackadoodle color ... was using a wrong bottle combo -- DOINK.

So....I'll go get some more distilled water to have on hand -- I'm out now.

Colin, What do I do next??? After more waiting of course. lol

2.6.17 Shrimp Tank.jpg

Knutsen1122

Wait haha. Actually you need to get your ph down. I don't think your substrate is buffering it.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Wait haha. Actually you need to get your ph down. I don't think your substrate is buffering it.

Update: my GH KH test kit arrived yesterday and I conducted the test this morning.
KH 7
GH 9

TDS 212 <== yay! improvement!

Clearly, I need to do more waiting! This is agony!

And I will get more distilled water...!