Shrimp Tank Additives

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
So I put 1 gallon of distilled water in last night and 3 more this morning. Got it down to 323. Doesn't seem like much for all that effort. ha!

I think I see a jar of that remineralizer stuff in my future....lol Mark's Shrimp Tanks recommends Salty Shrimp GH KH+ so that's what I will get.

What a trip this is...!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
How's the tank going?

Thanks for asking!

I put a few snails in there (now that I have a buttload of them) and I've planted a crypt I picked up at The Co-Op on Sunday. I've got my TDS down to 200 but still struggling with the KH and GH numbers. I ordered some of that Salty Shrimp stuff that Lup Diesel and Mark's Shrimp Tanks likes so that's coming soon (they don't carry it at The Co-Op).

I've got lovely biofilm on everything; wood, glass, plants but until I have my numbers completely diailed, I'm not even thinking about putting a Crystal Red Shrimp in there.

The wait is killing me. hahahahahahahahaha

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I'm reviewing my notes this morning on the gonna-be-CRS tank. I started out with a TDS (my tap water) of 428. The lowest I ever got it was 194. Today it's back up to 274 after changing out 10 liters of distillled water, remineralized with the Salty Shrimp GH KH+.

The shrimp keepers I watch on YouTube all say that your TDS range should be in the 140 range. Lup Diesel says you can go as high as 230. I'm no where near there. What am I doing wrong? Until I dial this in, I'm not going to put any CRS in there.

My other numbers stay a very consistent:
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
GH 75 <==that's another thing. Am I reading my test strip wrong? The shrimp experts say my GH should be 4 - 5 :eek:
Total Chlorine 0
KH 80 (I've not gotten off this number since the night I set it up when it was 40)
PH 6.8 (at least that number is finally headed in the right direction)

:( I know. I know. They say "Don't get hung up on the numbers...consistency is what's important...but my numbers are WHACK!!

Last edited:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
BUMP!

Shrimp keepers? Anyone?

I'm reviewing my notes this morning on the gonna-be-CRS tank. I started out with a TDS (my tap water) of 428. The lowest I ever got it was 194. Today it's back up to 274 after changing out 10 liters of distillled water, remineralized with the Salty Shrimp GH KH+.

The shrimp keepers I watch on YouTube all say that your TDS range should be in the 140 range. Lup Diesel says you can go as high as 230. I'm no where near there. What am I doing wrong? Until I dial this in, I'm not going to put any CRS in there.

My other numbers stay a very consistent:
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
GH 75 <==that's another thing. Am I reading my test strip wrong? The shrimp experts say my GH should be 4 - 5 :eek:
Total Chlorine 0
KH 80 (I've not gotten off this number since the night I set it up when it was 40)
PH 6.8 (at least that number is finally headed in the right direction)

:( I know. I know. They say "Don't get hung up on the numbers...consistency is what's important...but my numbers are WHACK!!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
There's got to be some crystal shrimp keepers here somewhere.

Maybe I need a water expert instead of a CRS expert. lol

So yesterday, I decided that maybe it's the TDS meter. Completed the return paperwork on Amazon and by gosh and by golly when I woke up this morning, there was a brand new TDS meter sitting out by the back door. Wow @ Amazon! I thought, maybe I calibrated it wrong (not sure how you would do that - but hey, I'm trying everything). Got this one out, calibrated it (knowing I had to subtract 10 because getting it spot on is difficult) and the TDS is the same.

*insert sad saxophone music here*

I guess I'll just keep at it with the distilled water. I don't know what else to do at this point. Interestingly enough, I've bought out all my very favorite local stores for distilled water and now I'm going to have to look elsewhere to get more.

On the BRIGHT SIDE, I have a gorgeous BUFFET of biofilm happening in there!

julzhull

Maybe I need a water expert instead of a CRS expert. lol

So yesterday, I decided that maybe it's the TDS meter. Completed the return paperwork on Amazon and by gosh and by golly when I woke up this morning, there was a brand new TDS meter sitting out by the back door. Wow @ Amazon! I thought, maybe I calibrated it wrong (not sure how you would do that - but hey, I'm trying everything). Got this one out, calibrated it (knowing I had to subtract 10 because getting it spot on is difficult) and the TDS is the same.

*insert sad saxophone music here*

I guess I'll just keep at it with the distilled water. I don't know what else to do at this point. Interestingly enough, I've bought out all my very favorite local stores for distilled water and now I'm going to have to look elsewhere to get more.

On the BRIGHT SIDE, I have a gorgeous BUFFET of biofilm happening in there!
Geez. I wonder if you'd find any good info on a shrimp forum. I've been looking at The Shrimp Spot a little bit. There's got to be someone there from our area that has a similar issue with water.

So you have to only use distilled water? I wonder if Costco carries it. You'd think they must.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Geez. I wonder if you'd find any good info on a shrimp forum. I've been looking at The Shrimp Spot a little bit. There's got to be someone there from our area that has a similar issue with water.

So you have to only use distilled water? I wonder if Costco carries it. You'd think they must.

I use distilled and remineralize it because I don't want to buy a system to make RO water (and then remineralize that) for one little 15 gallon shrimp tank that may or may not work out, right? lol I hit a QFC yesterday that I never go to and scored 9 more gallons! My theory is that once I get the water right, at a consistent lower TDS, I can use the distilled for top offs and it will be fine. This, of course, is a theory!

I plan on buying shrimp from LR Bretz or Lup Diesel so I think I'm going to email them for some advice. Clearly, this is something that MUST affect others -- unless I'm the only dumbass who has this problem? I can't imagine I am all alone on this.

I love that you care @julzhull - thank you.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I discovered this morning that LR Bretz aquatics does not carry Crystal Red Shrimp. I also learned (by rewatching Cory's tour video of his fish room - part 1) that his water is just as hard as mine is. Is there a correlation? LOL I hope not!

Tomorrow is water change morning so I'm going to do a mega water change on that tank. I've got 9 gallons of distilled water sitting here, getting warmed up. I will remineralize it ALL and get it in there. 9 friggin gallons. If this doesn't do it bring down the TDS and the GH, I don't know what will.

Testing GH is a concern to me. Mine is a solid 75 but all the shrimp peeps say to keep it 4-5. The Tetra Easy strip doesn't even show anything lower than 25 to 0. Am I missing something? How would know your GH is 4 or 6 or even 10? Perhaps there's more crap I need to buy for this project? These shrimp area already more expensive than ANY scampi I've ever seen.

Knutsen1122

I discovered this morning that LR Bretz aquatics does not carry Crystal Red Shrimp. I also learned (by rewatching Cory's tour video of his fish room - part 1) that his water is just as hard as mine is. Is there a correlation? LOL I hope not!

Tomorrow is water change morning so I'm going to do a mega water change on that tank. I've got 9 gallons of distilled water sitting here, getting warmed up. I will remineralize it ALL and get it in there. 9 friggin gallons. If this doesn't do it bring down the TDS and the GH, I don't know what will.

Testing GH is a concern to me. Mine is a solid 75 but all the shrimp peeps say to keep it 4-5. The Tetra Easy strip doesn't even show anything lower than 25 to 0. Am I missing something? How would know your GH is 4 or 6 or even 10? Perhaps there's more crap I need to buy for this project? These shrimp area already more expensive than ANY scampi I've ever seen.
Hello Vicki, I keep/breed CRS and would love to help you out. If you can contact me on Facebook messenger that would be awesome, it's hard for me to keep up and talk on this forum. -Colin Knutsen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Hello Vicki, I keep/breed CRS and would love to help you out. If you can contact me on Facebook messenger that would be awesome, it's hard for me to keep up and talk on this forum. -Colin Knutsen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am the only person in the universe that doesn't use Facebook. I know. I just can't spend the time wading thru all the b.s. on that thing. How about email, Colin??? I would love some help!

I was just looking at that tank today and thinking, maybe the dream has died.... I don't want to admit defeat. I even just had a momentary thought of setting up a facebook account. (I can't do it - I just can't do it) That's how bad I want this shrimp thing to be successful. I will message you my email address at work.

I switched out 7 gallons of distilled water (remineralized) on Saturday, I was at 283 now I'm back up to 315 a moment ago. An entire almond leave has deteriorated in there already. The few snails I have hanging out seem to enjoy it. I have alder cones, those shrimp ball things and good shrimp-specific substrate.

Gawd this is frustrating.

julzhull

I am the only person in the universe that doesn't use Facebook. I know. I just can't spend the time wading thru all the b.s. on that thing. How about email, Colin??? I would love some help!

I was just looking at that tank today and thinking, maybe the dream has died.... I don't want to admit defeat. I even just had a momentary thought of setting up a facebook account. (I can't do it - I just can't do it) That's how bad I want this shrimp thing to be successful. I will message you my email address at work.

I switched out 7 gallons of distilled water (remineralized) on Saturday, I was at 283 now I'm back up to 315 a moment ago. An entire almond leave has deteriorated in there already. The few snails I have hanging out seem to enjoy it. I have alder cones, those shrimp ball things and good shrimp-specific substrate.

Gawd this is frustrating.
Don't give up! I really think if you can get help from someone locally like @Knutsen1122 you'll be able to master CRS!

17mars

Hey VickiK, I feel your pain!
I have been trying shrimp (neocaridinas) for the last year and am probably the only person to fail with red cherries. I'm also doing the water dance trying to keep everything perfect in my orange cherry and blue cherry tanks (Got those colours at Aquarium Co op) and I'm starting to feel like I *might* have everything okay now. At least they seem stable and happier and they're not having failed molts. Who knew those little darlings could be so picky? Especially as someone told me her 5 year old granddaughter has some breeding in an ordinary fish bowl.
(Edit to add: Spoke too soon. Found a little pink body and empty shell under a plant this morning. sigh.)

Last edited:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Hey VickiK, I feel your pain!
I have been trying shrimp (neocaridinas) for the last year and am probably the only person to fail with red cherries. I'm also doing the water dance trying to keep everything perfect in my orange cherry and blue cherry tanks (Got those colours at Aquarium Co op) and I'm starting to feel like I *might* have everything okay now. At least they seem stable and happier and they're not having failed molts. Who knew those little darlings could be so picky? Especially as someone told me her 5 year old granddaughter has some breeding in an ordinary fish bowl.
(Edit to add: Spoke too soon. Found a little pink body and empty shell under a plant this morning. sigh.)

Dang! Sorry to hear about your new fatality. :-(

I watch Mark's Shrimp Tanks on YouTube and drool.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
So far, Colin says that I'm doing everything right - so far. He's suggesting using RO water instead of the distilled water that I buy from the grocery store. Not sure why that would make a difference - but hey, he knows better than me.

I will buy a liquid test kit today so I can test that water more accurately.

The good news is that my water is STABLE as HELL - the TDS is wonky for sure - but as far as stability goes; I'm rockin' it. I'm going to use up all my distilled water - now I buy it as a habit - this weekend and then get some RO water at the store from one of those machines. That's what Colin said to do.

Maybe Colin will let me buy some CRS from him??

Betty

Staff member
VickiK, I'm the other person in the universe that doesn't use Facebook. :thumbsup

I have no advice -- I have lots of low quality red cherries that came in on some plant and multiplied like crazy with no care at all. But I think I remember reading somewhere that you can get RO water at some grocery stores from machines or prebottled as drinking water? I'm not sure about this, but might be worth looking at the next time you are at a store. Don't some LFSs also sell it?

Good luck getting it all working.

Edit: I missed the part about the grocery store machine in your post. :oops:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
VickiK, I'm the other person in the universe that doesn't use Facebook. :thumbsup

I have no advice -- I have lots of low quality red cherries that came in on some plant and multiplied like crazy with no care at all. But I think I remember reading somewhere that you can get RO water at some grocery stores from machines or prebottled as drinking water? I'm not sure about this, but might be worth looking at the next time you are at a store. Don't some LFSs also sell it?

Good luck getting it all working.

Edit: I missed the part about the grocery store machine in your post. :oops:

Thanks for your support, Betty! Since the distilled water I has 0 TDS, Colin says that will work fine. This weekend, I"m going to do a 99% water change using remineralized distilled and let it cycle.

THIS HAS TO WORK!

I could have a few cherry shrimp and not go through all this nonsense, right? Someone was posting somewhere that they got some multicolored "Skittles" mix from LR Bretz...I'm thinking, why can't I be happy with that? Well, I can't. I want Crystal Red Shrimp, dammit. I'm not ready to give up. Not yet.