Shrimp Tank Additives

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
OK. I'm serious.

How likely is it that all 9 or 11 or however many shrimp I have are all male?

No berried anybody and I swear to god, last night, I saw a teeny disco ball and trance music playing in there.....

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
OK. I'm serious.

No berried anybody and I swear to god, last night, I saw a teeny disco ball and trance music playing in there.....

OK. I just watched another episode of Mark's Shrimp Tanks and my tank looks like an abandoned mansion, compared to his tanks.

What AM I Doing WRONG? *cry*

Betty

Staff member
OK. I'm serious.

If your luck is like mine, it's not impossible that they are all the same. :p I bought so many bristlenose years ago, trying to get a female.

julzhull

If your luck is like mine, it's not impossible that they are all the same. :p I bought so many bristlenose years ago, trying to get a female.
Those bristlenoses! I bought one we thought for sure was a female and he got bristles months after we got him.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

I would DIE if that were the case!! Honestly, that's why I brought in the CRS after I had the six PRLs. I thought, "Let's hedge our bets, here folks." Hmmm. That would be hysterical. NOT.

Betty

Staff member
I have some females with short bristles.

Vicki, are your shrimp old enough to be reproducing? Maybe they just need more time?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I have some females with short bristles.

Vicki, are your shrimp old enough to be reproducing? Maybe they just need more time?

good point, Betty. I'm new to shrimp. Completely new. But I thought Marks Shrimp Tanks guy said 30 days.... maybe that was wishful thinking? I dunno. The PRLs seem REALLY REALLY small still --- i'm wondering if their growth rate is very different than the CRS which are growing like weeds. Lots of molting going on. I did a water change. It's like Shrimp Disneyland in there, man. Seriously. It's the most unattractive tank in the universe - but I'm doing it for the SHRIMPS!

Ebi-sama

Yes .... they love it.
1+ it's true haha, they love it.

Product wise.. a lot of food is very similar, snowflake or food punched with spirulina/asthaxanthin/minerals. Generally.. many you can make on your own, some breeders will overprice their items when it's really not much of a big difference to other products. Same with bacteria.. or algae growing products.. if you understand about nutrients and what promotes what.. then you can pretty much emulate it. As far as remineralizing products.. some do have less TDS than others and that just simply means they didn't include some trace minerals to reduce it down much much more.. but many different trace minerals are good for them.

Bluebolts in specific water parameters with certain mineral levels or ready to breed etc will color up very blue. While some may be sold as this super "high grade", everything is subject to change. Although, some are genetically more blue or opaque than others.

Mike16T

1+ it's true haha, they love it.

Product wise.. a lot of food is very similar, snowflake or food punched with spirulina/asthaxanthin/minerals. Generally.. many you can make on your own, some breeders will overprice their items when it's really not much of a big difference to other products. Same with bacteria.. or algae growing products.. if you understand about nutrients and what promotes what.. then you can pretty much emulate it. As far as remineralizing products.. some do have less TDS than others and that just simply means they didn't include some trace minerals to reduce it down much much more.. but many different trace minerals are good for them.

Bluebolts in specific water parameters with certain mineral levels or ready to breed etc will color up very blue. While some may be sold as this super "high grade", everything is subject to change. Although, some are genetically more blue or opaque than others.

I'm actually going to attempt to make my own shrimp pops. =) I just need to do more research on the ingredients of the one in the market already.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Well....I may as well update on the stagnant condition of my shrimp tank. @Wenzoui was good enough to take a look and he assured me that I was doing all the right things - but an interesting thing came up.

When I first put the tank together, my TDS in my tap water was well over 350. I tested it when Eric was here -- at his urging - and the TDS was like 24. WHAT?? Yes it's calibrated. Because I've kept a journal about such things, I know exactly what my TDS has been since I set up the tank on New Years Eve. So I have been buying distilled water and remineralizing it with the Shrimp Bee KH GH product.

I've also purchased and used Montmorillonite Clay (from Mark's Shrimp Tanks on YouTube) and BioPro for Crystal Red Shrimp from AZOO. I do not touch the algae growth on three sides of the tank - there's some green and red there and I do a 10% water change every two weeks. I have yet to gravel vac the substrate because I'm afraid I'll suck someone up. Probably doesn't need it anyway. I only feed them Shirakura Baby Shrimp Food 2X a week (since the hate the Fluval Shrimp food and the fancy Shirakura food).

I feel pretty sad and frustrated.

Mike16T

Well....I may as well update on the stagnant condition of my shrimp tank. @Wenzoui was good enough to take a look and he assured me that I was doing all the right things - but an interesting thing came up.

When I first put the tank together, my TDS in my tap water was well over 350. I tested it when Eric was here -- at his urging - and the TDS was like 24. WHAT?? Yes it's calibrated. Because I've kept a journal about such things, I know exactly what my TDS has been since I set up the tank on New Years Eve. So I have been buying distilled water and remineralizing it with the Shrimp Bee KH GH product.

I've also purchased and used Montmorillonite Clay (from Mark's Shrimp Tanks on YouTube) and BioPro for Crystal Red Shrimp from AZOO. I do not touch the algae growth on three sides of the tank - there's some green and red there and I do a 10% water change every two weeks. I have yet to gravel vac the substrate because I'm afraid I'll suck someone up. Probably doesn't need it anyway. I only feed them Shirakura Baby Shrimp Food 2X a week (since the hate the Fluval Shrimp food and the fancy Shirakura food).

I feel pretty sad and frustrated.

It's ok @VickiK , if you're doing everything right, don't worry about it too much... They will get berried when they are ready... I didn't get my first berried right away. I got mine after almost 3 1/2 months.