Show off your SRT growouts

Discussion in 'Photos, Videos & Journals' started by lloyd378, Nov 30, 2017.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. VickiK

VickiK Well-Known Member

Last weekend, I took out all Tankie's (Texas Red Cichlid) planted substrate -- since he digs up plants anyway - and replaced it with normal gravel in various sizes, along with a healthy dose of crushed coral -- since I bought a 40 pound bag of the stuff from Robert @ Co-Op. Not sure what it does - but they suggest it -- so I do it. I put in some pretty male only Endlers and while they avoid him like the plague, he has no interest in eating them. I think he likes the company. He watches them...and they really watch HIM.

Here's a video of Tankie in his first few moments with the new substrate. The water column has cleared up amazingly since this was shot and, as I said, he now has some Endler friends to hang out with.

And once again, my camera does not capture what I see to be RED behind those blue spangles!

Tank likes this.
  2. Tank

Tank Well-Known Member

He looks freakin huge!!!

VickiK likes this.
  3. discus_2013

discus_2013 Well-Known Member

It will eat endlers, guarantee it.

VickiK likes this.
  4. VickiK

VickiK Well-Known Member

I would love to see that happen. I have a boatload over here. So far, all 6 of his new little friends are still intact.
    The African Leaf Fish has gobbled a few so far....but just the jacked up looking females. Tankie has some gorgeous boys in his tank: mostly "Cobras" they're called - lots of yellow and spotted - big tails.

5. VickiK

VickiK Well-Known Member

I wish I could accurately measure him, but when he sees the tape measure coming --- into the pot he goes!

6. discus_2013

just giving you a heads up so you don't put all your prized fish in and end up with one, looks good, there are some really nice unfaded red texas out there too.

VickiK likes this.
  7. discus_2013

also the crushed coral raises your gh and kh in your tank, giving your fish added minerals, in the pnw more times than not our municipal water is lacking.

VickiK likes this.
  8. VickiK

VickiK Well-Known Member

Hey, I do what Robert and Cory tell me to do!

discus_2013 likes this.
  9. discus_2013

Endlers still doing good vickik?