Show off your SRT growouts

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Last weekend, I took out all Tankie's (Texas Red Cichlid) planted substrate -- since he digs up plants anyway - and replaced it with normal gravel in various sizes, along with a healthy dose of crushed coral -- since I bought a 40 pound bag of the stuff from Robert @ Co-Op. Not sure what it does - but they suggest it -- so I do it. I put in some pretty male only Endlers and while they avoid him like the plague, he has no interest in eating them. I think he likes the company. He watches them...and they really watch HIM.

Here's a video of Tankie in his first few moments with the new substrate. The water column has cleared up amazingly since this was shot and, as I said, he now has some Endler friends to hang out with.

And once again, my camera does not capture what I see to be RED behind those blue spangles!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
It will eat endlers, guarantee it.

I would love to see that happen. I have a boatload over here. So far, all 6 of his new little friends are still intact.
The African Leaf Fish has gobbled a few so far....but just the jacked up looking females. Tankie has some gorgeous boys in his tank: mostly "Cobras" they're called - lots of yellow and spotted - big tails.

discus_2013

just giving you a heads up so you don't put all your prized fish in and end up with one, looks good, there are some really nice unfaded red texas out there too.

discus_2013

also the crushed coral raises your gh and kh in your tank, giving your fish added minerals, in the pnw more times than not our municipal water is lacking.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Endlers still doing good vickik?

I missed this one! Oh yeah. All of his little Endler friends are in tact -- except one - which I pulled off the intake filter this morning. Not eaten - just dead. I'm tellin' ya - he's not going to eat these fish!

In contrast, my African Bush Fish (sold to me as an African LEAF fish) is eating them like candy. lol

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
also the crushed coral raises your gh and kh in your tank, giving your fish added minerals, in the pnw more times than not our municipal water is lacking.

Well, I will say that it sure raised hell with my CRS and PRL shrimp at the beginning of my shrimp keeping journey. I suggest NOT putting crushed coral in those tanks in our WA water.

Now, simple straight shrimp substrate and tap water - using Prime to dechlorinate - they're doing great. Breeding, growing and seem to be happy little shrimps.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Has yours faded yet?

Mine is still unfaded and very disappointed in her right now.....you can tell via her base color that she isn’t the typical Texas, yet I’m wanting and hoping for a truly red, red Texas. Haha

Tank

I have others but the one I was left with from this batch is more dark orange with some red spotting, still hoping he fades though.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Here's a couple shots of Tankie today. He barely fits in is small flower pot cave now. Half of him sticks out. lol

Tankie 1.28.18.jpg Tankie2 1.28.18.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Tank, let’s see some of your other red Texas you are growing out......

Tank

Pics are a little old but they look roughly the same just a little bigger, one is another unfaded and one is fading. These ones cost me a lot more than I wanted to pay though honestly lol :/

20171223_085823.jpg 20171117_023229.jpg

Tank

This is an updated pic of the one I ended up with from the batch we all shared. His name is Jared haha he usually looks a little better but I just switched him into this tank and I think he hates it he hasn't eaten in like 3 days.

20180127_201200.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Our bath definitely has a different shape than your newer ones...... your new ones have the facial shape of an acara or a JD..... interesting, but love the color on the fading one

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Has yours faded yet?

Mine is still unfaded and very disappointed in her right now.....you can tell via her base color that she isn’t the typical Texas, yet I’m wanting and hoping for a truly red, red Texas. Haha

That's what I'm wishing for!