Setting up a Lake Malawi Tank

A

Anonymous

This is a great thread. I've never contemplated keeping Africans seriously. I think now for the lack of understanding how to house them. I've been following this thread since its creation. Something like this thread should be set as a Rift lake/African cichlid sticky...

cichlid-gal

master chi said:
Now choosing dwarf species isn't that difficult,but you really only need to know what exactly is a dwarf mbuna.
While many do say yellow Labs are dwarf mbuna,I have seen them get a little larger than 6'',so goes the same for Rusties.
While that size for those 2 species isn't common ,if they were to reach that size,they would not be dwarf mbuna.
Dwarf mbuna should not get larger than 4'',if so only to 5'' tops. That leaves the 2 previously stated species,as well as just about any Cynotilapia,Ps.Saulosi,and Ps.Demasoni.
Actually many of the Pseudotropheus species would be considered dwarf mbuna...and there are lots to chose from.  I have a Pseudotropheus and Cynotilapia species

Here's a link to cichlid-forum Pseudotropheus profiles (just click the titles)
Cichlid Forum Pseudotropheus Profiles

and Cynotilapia profiles
Cichlid-forum Cynotilapia Profiles

master chi

cichlid-gal said:
master chi said:
Now choosing dwarf species isn't that difficult,but you really only need to know what exactly is a dwarf mbuna.
While many do say yellow Labs are dwarf mbuna,I have seen them get a little larger than 6'',so goes the same for Rusties.
While that size for those 2 species isn't common ,if they were to reach that size,they would not be dwarf mbuna.
Dwarf mbuna should not get larger than 4'',if so only to 5'' tops. That leaves the 2 previously stated species,as well as just about any Cynotilapia,Ps.Saulosi,and Ps.Demasoni.
Actually many of the Pseudotropheus species would be considered dwarf mbuna...and there are lots to chose from.  I have a Pseudotropheus and Cynotilapia species

Here's a link to cichlid-forum Pseudotropheus profiles (just click the titles)
Cichlid Forum Pseudotropheus Profiles

and Cynotilapia profiles
Cichlid-forum Cynotilapia Profiles
Of those pseudotropheus in the link,Only Flavus,and Polit would be realistic options for dwarf keepers.
There is a couple other dwarf species in that list,but they would be almost impossible to find..

cichlid-gal

master chi said:
Of those pseudotropheus in the link,Only Flavus,and Polit would be realistic options for dwarf keepers.
There is a couple other dwarf species in that list,but they would be almost impossible to find..
Agreed...I have not seen many of those but I have seen Pseudotropheus sp. "Perspicax types" also although I understand they have personality issues :x . And I have Polits :D and the pictures I've seen of the Flavus group have been beautiful.

Betty

Staff member
I've always wondered why rusties were considered dwarf mbuna because mine got quite large. The males are also more aggressive than I had expected. (That's my big bully on the banner from last month's photo contest. Look quick or he'll be gone soon!) If you get the ratio of male to female worked out, this shouldn't be a big problem.

The fish in my avatar is a Pseudotropheus flavus.  I've kept them for many years as well.  The males can look pretty spectacular, but the females are usually a drab color. That's something to consider if you are looking for lots of color -- what the females of the species look like.

It's been mentioned before about increasing your filtration, but I would also add that frequent and sizeable water changes are very important when you keep an overstocked tank.

I think the species you decided on sound good. It shouldn't be too hard to find them locally.  Check with Anthraxx for starters. :)

First off, I want to say thank you guys so much for your help. I'm not terribly worried about filtration or water changes, I can easily handle those things. One question that is nagging me though is in regards to overstocking.

The reason I've been adamant about have a dwarf tank is because I'd like as many fish as possible, and I feel that the size of my tank can be a limiting factor when choosing dwarf vs 'normal' mbuna.

Now, how much is too much when it comes to overstocking a mbuna tank?

Betty

Staff member
For final stocking, I would go for 15, maybe 18 maximum, five of each species and maybe a couple additional of the Cynotilapia. I've never kept them, so not sure how big they get and if you could do a few extra of them.  When they are juvies, you can do more of each species, but will need to weed out any troublemakers or subdominant males that are getting picked on.  I think it's a good idea to start with more to make sure you have enough to get the proper ratios for your final stocking.  If you are doing three species, you will probably want to end up with one male to four females.  In my experience, I've found that one male or three or more males usually work, but two is always a problem!

So my opinion is to start with several of each species; watch their behavior and interaction and coloring as they mature to help determine males, females, bullies, etc.; and pull/rehome the extras to end up with about 15 total. Or you can do like I did and buy more tanks so you can keep them all. :D 

master chi

5 of each species. Unless bronefighter picks demasoni.. When I overstock,which I always do,I go with 1M/6F per species. so a total of 21 fish. surviving fry in the tank will of course add to that number.. I have closer to 25 right now in my dwarf tank. I think past 30 fish is probably too much.

Betty I think your large rusties are just an example of size in captivity. Many fish get much larger in captivity.I think it's mostly due to the fact that keepers tend to feed their fishy friends well. Whether that means more often than in the wild,or just of better quality food,that provides an enhanced amount of nutrients to their diet. Again, The dwarf rule is nothing more than 5'' full grown. If it's 6'' than that's average sized mbuna territory.

Well, I finally got my tank stocked! And unfortunately it seems that Mbuna are out of the picture for the time being. I traded some various fish for a superb breeding colony of about 20 F1 Aulonocara Lwanda. 3 males and the rest females, and they have been doing wonderfully so far. Maybe in the future mbuna will be an option ;) 

Anthraxx

great choice!!! keep in mind that the extra males may not work out long term, but GL for the time being. they definitely have a great start :)

A

Anonymous

bronzefighter said:
Well, I finally got my tank stocked! And unfortunately it seems that Mbuna are out of the picture for the time being. I traded some various fish for a superb breeding colony of about 20 F1 Aulonocara Lwanda. 3 males and the rest females, and they have been doing wonderfully so far. Maybe in the future mbuna will be an option ;) 
It's not real until here are pictures! :bounce: 

Anthony J.

Also, wetspot ships to most of Washington next day for $15. I have gone through them many times. Great advice, and thread guys. do nice to see good advice given to a new comer. And from many sources. I can't wait to see your tank, listen to the advice of the many experienced members and run with it. In a 6 months or so, pass it to the next new guy. This is what builds a strong hobby and community.

Well, I suppose I should post the pictures I promised you guys...

So, like I said before, I traded some fish and recieved a group of 20 F1 A. Lwanda. Current stocking in the tank is as follows:

20x A. Lwanda
1x ABN Pleco
1x Syno. Multi.
2x Red-Clawed Crabs

Here is a full tank shot:
BEFORE:
cndHngo.jpg

AFTER:
7e1Cp32h.jpg

The 2 males here have staked out 2 different sides of this pile of rock, while a 3rd male hangs out on the far right side of the tank.
3PWLBF8h.jpg

My terrible potato phone doesn't do justice to the colors of these males, but as you can see they've colored up nicely since they settled in.
12dlcpfh.jpg

Though the females are rather bland looking these fish do have a lot of personality and are very active. Over the past week or so the males have started doing there little dances and flaring and such, so hopefully I'll be seeing some fry soon!

On a sidenote, there is one female who only has one eye. She staked out the little outcropping on the bottom left side of the tank so that she can always see who is in front of her, and boy is she aggressive! I've nicknamed her Mrs. Snake Plissken :pirat:

A

Anonymous

Nice or awesome setup. Wish I had rocks like those. Rocks heavy? Im just scared that my stand would break. Its all wood.

SiRWesDragon said:
Nice or awesome setup. Wish I had rocks like those. Rocks heavy?  Im just scared that my stand would break. Its all wood.
Thanks! It's about 150lb of rock. Unfortunately something like reef rock or texas holey was much to expensive, and this pot rock was the next best thing. The downside is that is much denser. I have eggcrate on the bottom of the tank to distribute the weight load, and I'm too worried about the rocks shifting.

Also, a single vertical 2" by 2" stud can support something like 1.5 tons. Really rough calculation of the top of my head puts the weight of my tank at something like 600 lbs. As long as your weight is distributed and supported properly you should be fine!