Sad day in the Madness family

A

Anonymous

Wow!!!!!! Holy crap. I'm so sorry dude. I would go on a rampage.

fishman09

this sucks. not sure how i would react to something like this. lots of hours and lots of money lost when stuff like this happens. :(

Fyurae

If it isn't your own kid, I'd call the cops. Even if it is your own kid, they need some counseling apparently. Killing animals is an early sign of psychopathic tendencies. Not cool at all.

hbluehunter

I say a good ole Military Blanket Party is in order for some kid.. Just like in Full Metal Jacket.. :twisted: That is flat out un called for no matter how mad that kid is.. I hope you save all your fish that are left.. I agree with Fyurae, you should call the cops and atleast scare the living crap out of the kid.. More and more these days people think animals are just a disposable item and they can be treated like crap and abused because they aren't human.. :(

Madness

Staff member
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments. The Hoga was dead by the time I got to it. The female did recover. All I have lost is just my fry. So my anger is not as much as it could be. Frustrated, cause now I have to completely drain 7 tanks and completely rinse out the filter and clean them, and clean the gravel, and basically start all over in those tanks.

The more I played with it the more I think it was the alcohol that killed the beneficial bateria and caused a massive spike in the nitrites. They were the only test that was off the charts. Also, it put a film on my filter clothes, and wouldnt allow the water to penetrate it. The cloths were barely dirty and little water got through it. And my sponge filters that are weighted wouldnt stay down, they floated, even with the weighted bottoms.

So now today it is a big clean up process. All the fish have adapted farely well in their new temporary homes. My biggest concern was putting my 12" RD in the tank with my 8" male Red Isletas and his girl, and my 7" Gold Dovii and is girl. Watch last night for a bit and the RD & RI were definitely going at it. Woke up this morning to my RD pair in the pot where the RI are usually at. So I guess the king of the tank has quickly been reestablished.

And yes, counseling is next. :x

I've also heard of people using vodka to euthanize fish (not kidding, google it) so it may have been two fold. Alcohol definitely kills bacteria and I'm sure there's a host of other things in listerine you don't want in your system.

Madness

Staff member
Probably just take the HOB off of the 210 and maybe a canistor filter and move it around the tanks. I use plastic scrubbies in my filters as media, so swapping some of them to the tanks should work just fine. Basically just move the media around.

JimA

Sad deal for sure but not really worthy of having the Police deal with it, even if they would is another question. So was it your kid or someone staying with you?

Madness

Staff member
Family.

And I use Seachem to add to on water changes, but not to start a brand new tank. But yes, I will use it to aid the media when I swap them over. :) Thanks

JK47

Dang sorry to hear about this.. I have a teenager too and know how irrational they can be at times. As pissed as you might be, a good dad is far more important to be than a good fish keeper.

From this side of the screen it doesn't appear your going overboard on your boy, I appload you for that since it's not easy but I would do the same.

Madness

Staff member
JK47 said:
Dang sorry to hear about this.. I have a teenager too and know how irrational they can be at times. As pissed as you might be, a good dad is far more important to be than a good fish keeper.

From this side of the screen it doesn't appear your going overboard on your boy, I appload you for that since it's not easy but I would do the same.
We had a nice coming-to-Jesus talk, and some lines were drawn, and we both have a perfect understanding as to what will happen if this happens again. Things are better, and a calm understanding convo sometimes if not all the time, works wonders.

Thanks. :)

Adonijah

:evil: I say you spike his food with caster oil once in a while and see how he likes surprises. Never bit the hand that feeds!

You'll bounce back bud!

AE86-Danny

Kaosu said:
sounds like someone deserves a good ass whooping !!!!!

Arg i cant even to begin what i would do if someone killed any of my animals to get back at me.....i might end up in jail for the night.

anyway Sorry for your loss!!!! :( hope things turn out for the rest of the fish.

i agree, it sounds like someone needs to hold them down while you break out the belt, and soap in their mouth just for the heck of it..

AE86-Danny

madness said:
Probably just take the HOB off of the 210 and maybe a canistor filter and move it around the tanks. I use plastic scrubbies in my filters as media, so swapping some of them to the tanks should work just fine. Basically just move the media around.

where did you get your plastic scrubbers?
i went to the dollar tree on meridian and found nada...
went to walmart and the clerk told me they had chemicals in them to help break down grease on pots and pans...

i am really close to just forking over 55 bucks on a big bag of bio balls :(

Jantilla

AE86-Danny said:
madness said:

where did you get your plastic scrubbers?
i went to the dollar tree on meridian and found nada...
went to walmart and the clerk told me they had chemicals in them to help break down grease on pots and pans...

i am really close to just forking over 55 bucks on a big bag of bio balls :(
I would love to know to. I paid 12 bucks for a gallon bag of bio balls which didn't nothing to fill my wet/drys.

Madness

Staff member
How many do you want? I have a huge box full, I ordered online. They only ship in quantities of 400. Sell for $3 ea or less depending on how many you want.

As for the beating and soap, you will learn when your old enough and have teenagers. Every child is different and different things work on different children. Not to mention, this one is 6'4" and 215, and is a month away from being an adult.