Petco $1 per gallon sale again

iandraco

fyi. the guys at my lfs were bummed that petco switched to Tetra tanks because they thought the Aqueon versa tops wouldn't fit. i had already put a marine land glass top on and it fit fine but i wanted to test the aqueons as well, so i stole the aqueon top off of my 29 and tried it. fits fine on the my 20L so i would imagine the will work on the tetra 29s too. just thought i would let everyone know. not sure about the other sizes though.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I can confirm that 40g breeders need the marineland/tetra top, not the aqueon tops.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thats what I had heard about the 40B that you had to get the MarineLand/Tetra because they were sized just a bit different.

Im surprised that Petco does not push very hard to add things on when they have this sale. This is a huge loss leader and they should push heavily to sell glass tops, filters, heaters and stands and it has always been kind of like a no big deal approach. This time around I did buy a stand and glass tops but most times I just get a tank and get some used items to make it work.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I don't believe it is a loss leader for them. I believe they get all the rebate money from the manufacturer. That's why when you buy that 20 long tank, you pay tax on forty plus dollars and not just 20 dollars.

I want to say 40 breeders with tax are around $48 due to taxes on the 114 retail price.

That being said, yeah they should totally push to make more sales on those tanks but I suppose you get what you pay for when you pay employees close to minimum wage.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I worked retail for many years in a hardware store. We regularly had items that would draw people in but made no real profit. When we got the customer to add the accessories like drill bits, saw blades or whatever else went with the item we made a good profit on those because many of those had a very high percentage of mark up.

iandraco

i picked up 3 more 20Ls yesterday. sounds like they have already gotten their last shipment so when they're gone they're gone. hurry up and get your tanks if you haven't already.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
iandraco said:
hurry up and get your tanks if you haven't already.
 :iagree:  Sale is till the 12th, so only a couple days left.

Aquarium Co-Op said:
Actually I don't believe it is a loss leader for them. I believe they get all the rebate money from the manufacturer. That's why when you buy that 20 long tank, you pay tax on forty plus dollars and not just 20 dollars.

I want to say 40 breeders with tax are around $48 due to taxes on the 114 retail price.

That being said, yeah they should totally push to make more sales on those tanks but I suppose you get what you pay for when you pay employees close to minimum wage.
It is true that you pay tax on the full retail price - However, during the last $1/Gallon sale when buying a 40B I raised a little bit of a stink and the manager happily dropped the price so it worked out that I paid 40 + Tax on $40. Not saying this will work everywhere, or all the time, but it never hurts to ask  :) 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Petco sale still going but..... Petsmart now has a sale

http://www.wafishbox.com/t9714-petsmart-2-per-gallon-tank-hood-light-combo#95511

With the Petsmart deal you get the hood/light combo.... decisions, decisions  :D 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not trying to bring this one back from the dead but....
On the Tetra tanks I notice a rebate slip for various Tetra items. $10 off on filters caught my eye. I found the EX30 on Amazon for cheap and bought it along with some other goodies with free shipping. So with the rebate the filter will be about $8. Not the best but I always like to keep some back up equipment around. So dont forget to look at that rebate form and see what qualifies.