Pea Puffers are Snippy Jerks

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Update on Romeo - because I know ya'll are sitting on the edge of your computer chairs wondering LOL

I put him in the "hot" 55 with the Balloon Cichlid crew (and everyone else - all nice) and the flow in there in spots is pretty strong - so I fear that it might be too much for Romeo - even in the "dead" spots - which they aren't a lot of. He seems to be swimming too hard to me. Fins a flappin' constantly. I don't have a whole bunch of experience with Bettas, but the other one I do have in the Endler Prego-A-Rama tank, likes to just sit on a plant and do whatever. The bowl - however stable and still - wasn't good.

His fins have yet to recover from the Snippy Pants Pea Puffer Gang.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I was just thinking today about asking you how he's doing. I hope he has a smooth recovery!

Awww. How nice of you! Romeo moved into the 55 with all the very nice community fish. The flow in there is a bit much for him - but there are dead spots that I hope he discovers and enjoys. My MAIN concern is Mr. Magic, a giant catfish that I never see but does tend to pick off slow fish. So there's THAT.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@julzhull @Betty @Mike16T @Loren and any other interested parties.....

Romeo is healing fabulously. He's not ready for his official "I'm back" photoshoot just yet but his fins are getting long and luxurious as they were before the Pea Puffer Chomp-a-Thon.

Very soon, he'll be 100%! I suppose it helps that he eats a giant glob of bloodworms every day and he's loving that Fluval Bug Bite for small fish.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Yes, it is great news! I'm glad Mr. Magic didn't bother him.

Given that Bettas like to stay out of the fray of fast moving water - it kind of makes sense that Mr. Magic doesn't even know he's there. I don't think he does anyway. Romeo stays way up at the right end of the tank - often laying on a lilly leaf - and out of the way of the return from the Fluval canister filter - which moves the water around pretty darn good. He's starved for attention. Anytime I go near the tank he swims up to the glass and demands a chat.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
During Saturday's mandatory water change, I noticed that some of my very pretty boy Endlers --- beautiful big tails with very interesting coloring - have big CHOMP marks in them.

I suspect the Pea Puffers............

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Update - Romeo has completely recovered and his gorgeous blue and purple fins are longer than they've ever been!

Bad news: one of the Pea Puffers has a white spot on his head. Looks kind of like a zit --- but he's eating and trolling around in there, like a nut. I'd hate to put him in the salad bowl with meds...... I think it would really stress him out.

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Update - Romeo has completely recovered and his gorgeous blue and purple fins are longer than they've ever been!

Bad news: one of the Pea Puffers has a white spot on his head. Looks kind of like a zit --- but he's eating and trolling around in there, like a nut. I'd hate to put him in the salad bowl with meds...... I think it would really stress him out.

Mine had similar so i dosed with praz a couple times. Now when i feed them BBS they seem to sometimes get their "remains" (white spindley lookiny things) stuck to them.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Mine had similar so i dosed with praz a couple times. Now when i feed them BBS they seem to sometimes get their "remains" (white spindley lookiny things) stuck to them.

Thanks Joel. What's "praz"?