Pea Puffers are Snippy Jerks

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
It's so funny when this happens. I'm listening/watching Cory, Bob and the AquaPro dude on YouTube and someone asks a question about pea puffers. Can they put them with other fish? Cory explains that they can get snippy and more is better to spread out the aggression. Immediately, I'm the gal who says (in her head) "MY pea puffers don't do that!" On to water changes on Sunday and I notice Romeo, the Betta male, looks like he's been SHREDDED in the fin department. I keep watching him, trying to figure out what's happening to him -- is he sick? does he have some random disease? panic in the disco....and just then, a Pea Puffer darts out of the plants and takes a chomp on poor Romeo!

He's in a giant salad bowl until I can get that tank set up that I'm getting from @Loren. Poor Romeo.

Loren

Never question Cory.

If you want to drop off the pea puffer at my place I can throw him in my pea puffer tank temporarily and Romeo can go back to his home.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Never question Cory.

If you want to drop off the pea puffer at my place I can throw him in my pea puffer tank temporarily and Romeo can go back to his home.

I got six of them! Nope - Romeo's going elsewhere - the Pea Puffers stay in the Endler grow out operation. They're faster than the Pea Puffers....apparently - because they all look great and there's only males in there.

LOL@never questioning Cory...!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Interesting enough, they always seem to have the fullest bellies ever. I know I over-feed my fish - but maybe that was actually ROMEO FIN in there and not food.........*cry*

Mike16T

He probably thought it was a shrimp sitting on top of the plant.
Probably... The other fishes in the tank are spoiled now too. They love snail meat. LOL! I saw them ganging up one snail. I felt sorry for the snail.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Awwww. Poor snail! I hear ya! Those guys are little maniacs.

And the Amazon Puffer - fergitabout it. There's nothing delicious on the half shell (or whole) LIVE in THAT tank. LOL

Mike16T

Awwww. Poor snail! I hear ya! Those guys are little maniacs.

And the Amazon Puffer - fergitabout it. There's nothing delicious on the half shell (or whole) LIVE in THAT tank. LOL

I'm fine seeing Hoppy devour snails since he can 1 gulp or swallow the snails, but seeing the little snail body parts dangling around while the fishes pick it is sad to see.. 1 of the SAE initiated it, he was able to get the snail meat out of the shell (Don't ask me how) and the other fishes went crazy..

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I'm find seeing Hoppy devour snails since he can 1 gulp or swallow the snails, but seeing the little snail body parts dangling around while the fishes pick it is sad to see.. 1 of the SAE initiated it, he was able to get the snail meat out of the shell (Don't ask me how) and the other fishes went crazy..

I prefer not to watch.........

Loren

Just call me heartless but I love seeing the fish, plecos, corys and shrimp attack after I crush a bunch of snails on the aquarium glass.

Betty

Staff member
... but seeing the little snail body parts dangling around while the fishes pick it is sad to see..
I agree! QQ
As much as I dislike having all of these malaysian trumpet snails (and cherry shrimp), I feel bad for wanting to dispose of them. I wish I had never brought them into my house!! Especially the snails -- I'm at the point where I show no mercy.

VickiK, I hope Romeo will heal up okay. Poor fishy.