Pea Puffers are Snippy Jerks

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I agree! QQ
As much as I dislike having all of these malaysian trumpet snails (and cherry shrimp), I feel bad for wanting to dispose of them. I wish I had never brought them into my house!! Especially the snails -- I'm at the point where I show no mercy.

VickiK, I hope Romeo will heal up okay. Poor fishy.

He's been in a bowl in the dining room - enjoying natural sunlight - and making mad bubble nests. Eventually, he'll go into the new tank from Loren - but it's not ready for occupants just yet. I'm sure he'll heal nicely now that he's away from those vipers in the 20 Long. They are FUNNY. I go in there and peer down into the water and they swim right up to the top and peer right back at me. They know what the "food wagon" looks like.

Betty

Staff member
Good to hear. :thumbsup

At least they don't jump out of the tank when you open the lid to feed? My cichlids have done that. :eek:

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Can I point out that in addition to being snippy jerks they can also be rather snobby.

Evergreenblue

I haven't chimed in this conversation yet, so hopefully I'm not butting in. I too am having issues with my puffers hiding all day. Vicki, the easiest way I know to tell male and female is once they are mature, the male develops a dark line laterally on his belly. Supposedly there's green "wrinkles" behind his eyes too but that's hard to tell. I think there's just some color variations in the fish, but maybe it's because there's two different species, Carinotetraodon travancoricus and C. imitator sold as dwarf puffers?

By the way, my snail tank was setup to feed my little guys... And I enjoy watching them!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I haven't chimed in this conversation yet, so hopefully I'm not butting in. I too am having issues with my puffers hiding all day. Vicki, the easiest way I know to tell male and female is once they are mature, the male develops a dark line laterally on his belly. Supposedly there's green "wrinkles" behind his eyes too but that's hard to tell. I think there's just some color variations in the fish, but maybe it's because there's two different species, Carinotetraodon travancoricus and C. imitator sold as dwarf puffers?

By the way, my snail tank was setup to feed my little guys... And I enjoy watching them!

No butting in here! We encourage such things!

I'm going to have to have a closer look at mine then! Good info to know.

Evergreenblue

As much as I dislike having all of these malaysian trumpet snails (and cherry shrimp), I feel bad for wanting to dispose of them. I wish I had never brought them into my house!! Especially the snails -- I'm at the point where I show no mercy.

Why don't you want them? I've been purposely letting them breed to put a population in my puffer tank. I figured they will help clean a little at night when the puffers sleep and they'll stay mostly protected under the sand...though I'm sure one or two would get picked off on occasion.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I have some in my 29 in the living room too. Came in on a plant, mostly likely. They don't seem to bother anyone and I haven't tried to feed one to my Amazon Puffer. Can they EAT those? The shells look incredibly crunchy. Like tooth-breaking crunchy....

Evergreenblue

My dwarf puffers don't eat the shell, they attack the snails foot and suck the snail out of the shell. They've been successful at least with a couple MTS, since I have a couple empty shells.

Betty

Staff member
Why don't you want them? I've been purposely letting them breed to put a population in my puffer tank. I figured they will help clean a little at night when the puffers sleep and they'll stay mostly protected under the sand...though I'm sure one or two would get picked off on occasion.
They don't stay hidden in the sand in my tanks. I think of them as pests. And they get into my filters! :mad:

Evergreenblue

Yeah, I'm sure clogging the filter is an annoyance. I was running a little filter in the snail tank, and there was a couple dozen inside when I removed it the other day to swap for a sponge.

Well, you could always pawn them off to puffer keepers!

julzhull

They don't stay hidden in the sand in my tanks. I think of them as pests. And they get into my filters! :mad:
That's what happened with pond snails in my first heavily planted tank. Could not get rid of those and I had tons in my canister filter. I ended up getting assassin snails because at least those leave my plants alone. I have another tank that is infested with pond snails and I'm thinking of spreading some assassins around. Malaysian trumpet/ramshorns don't seem to bother my plants but pond snails are another story. End rant.