Parachromis project (RTM)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looks female
Thats what Im thinking, not seeing gill plate spotting at all. The other 2 just are growing slowly in comparison and neither is sexable yet. I was hoping for a nice solo male RTM but the females are just so colorful that its super tempting to keep one.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
In
Thats what Im thinking, not seeing gill plate spotting at all. The other 2 just are growing slowly in comparison and neither is sexable yet. I was hoping for a nice solo male RTM but the females are just so colorful that its super tempting to keep one.
In all honesty, I was the same way, but if something were to happen to my male, I would be totally happy keeping the female solo as her colors are amazing

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if I mentioned it anywhere... but I moved the Petsmart Red Devil in with the RTM’s a while back. The RD and RTM are doing fine together at the moment. The largest of the RTM is thicker than the RD, but the RD has the ‘Im in charge’ attitude so it will do some light chases on the others. So far everything leaves the giant pleco alone. Goal is the rhino and one cichlid in the tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think all three of the RTM’s are female :( I was hoping to get a male out of the bunch but just not seeing any characteristics in them that point to male. Im not sure if I want to continue with this group or try something else. The dominant female is pretty outgoing and color is coming in so its a tough decision.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I think all three of the RTM’s are female :( I was hoping to get a male out of the bunch but just not seeing any characteristics in them that point to male. Im not sure if I want to continue with this group or try something else. The dominant female is pretty outgoing and color is coming in so its a tough decision.

I've had worse luck than that- I grew up 8 young Ophthalmotilapia nasuta Chimba 'Tiger,' and all 8 turned out to be females! :( Fortunately, I was able to add to the colony from two different sources, and now have at least 3 very nice looking young males. The amount of yellow pigment varies in this population, but the best adult males tend to look like this-

ophthalm1.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I've had worse luck than that- I grew up 8 young Ophthalmotilapia nasuta Chimba 'Tiger,' and all 8 turned out to be females! :( Fortunately, I was able to add to the colony from two different sources, and now have at least 3 very nice looking young males. The amount of yellow pigment varies in this population, but the best adult males tend to look like this-

View attachment 7744
Let’s see an update pic

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Will try and see if I can get pics of each and not just the big dominant one.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Morning pics, not the greatest but get the idea. All three in pics
IMG_20210201_094718005_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

This is the dominant, largest one
IMG_20210201_094732164.jpg
IMG_20210201_094758862.jpg

Dominant one to the the left of the red devil. One in back is the bottom of the pecking order.
IMG_20210201_094735834.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
You got some nice females, if they ever not become part of your plan, let me know as Shannon recently asked if I had a source to get some rtm

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You got some nice females, if they ever not become part of your plan, let me know as Shannon recently asked if I had a source to get some rtm
I am rethinking some stuff right now so I will let you know. The red devil growout is still an issue at this point, he is too little for the 300 just yet. I dont want him solo because I dont think he would socialize as well when he does get moved. He does pretty well with the rtm girls. There is chasing but not too bad.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Have been super happy with the largest RTM female. Colors are starting to come in and she is super responsive. Not sure what she will be like if its just her and the others are gone but she kind of has grown on me. I feel a sense of attachment since I have raised her from such a tiny size. I really wanted a big burly male Rtm but ended up with all females. while they have the outrageous colors, they do run a bit smaller.

@lloyd378, @Madness how large have you seen female RTM? If I could conceivably get a 10” female, I would seriously consider keeping just her and a pleco in the 90 gallon.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My female is currently at 5.5-6” and about 1.5 years old.

I just asked shawn hyden who has the grand parents of yours ( and he used to have like 10 other pairs of wild caught unrelated fish). When he gets back to me I’ll share what he says. I remember once way back when someone on MFK sharing a larger female in the 8-9” range..... that was probably 5 years ago though. Mfk was actually the reason I wanted to try these at some point. It took me almost two years of convincing before shawn hyden would sell me fry off of his wild pair!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Probably . I know many breed them in 75g but they recommend 120g for pairs.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
So yes, I think you could realistically do that just fine with a female.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Shawn hyden just got back to me and said most females get to 9 or 10 inches in his collection but he did have one monster female actually reach 11”. He said the females he gave me came from his female that was 9.5” total length and the male was 11”

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that info @lloyd378. This may determine what I keep and what gets moved around. My 65B community is not big and the activity level would look better in the center bowfront. The 65B could house the female RTM and a bit smaller clean up fish, maybe a pleco of some kind. The Petsmart Devil will eventually be in the 300. This world free up a 90. The arrowhead puffer could go into my 30 gallon again if I set it up or just rehome him.... lots to consider