Parachromis project (RTM)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Well I could tell the 4th RTM was acting strange and going to die and it did. The 3 that are left act completely different. They are all outgoing, good eaters and very active. Im sure I should get one nice RTM of of them. This really wasnt a planned stocking so I dont know if I will keep or not. Been really wanting an Oscar, lol. Not a typical store bought one but a cool wild caught pattern like my old bumblebee oscar. Anyway a bit discouraged by all the lost fry but glad the 3 left seem healthy.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
You know where you can get more...... I’m currently sitting on about 100 brand new free swimming fry! I’m guessing about 1/2 will survive to reach that tiny size I gave you..... hopefully more.

I may need to set up that 40g bowfront from Fishguy78 for themFD847810-2CAE-4C17-9EE7-EE9EA36EE868.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Mamma RTM is a beautiful fish. Thats what is going to be tough to decide, to keep a female that gets the gorgeous coloration or keep a big male. Tough decision!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Had to move the 3 remaining RTM fry to my 65B community tank. I needed to put the trimac in their tank while the other 75 got upgraded to a 90. Everything went smoothly and the Trimac is in his 90 but the RTM got left in the 65B for the night. They were doing well with the Monk tetras and the angel fish. I have a busy work day tomorrow so I dont know if they will get put back then or not but for sure this week.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The RTM's are still in the 65B and doing well with the community fish. Only "aggression" was an accidental nip on the catfishes wishers during feeding of bloodworms, an honest mistake for food.

Not really sure I want to raise out RTM's but have decided I like the 90 gallon vs the 75. The taller tank looks cool. So I think I will wait to move the fish until I get a 90 in place or if aggression gets too out of control.

A couple quick bad pics of the fry which are starting to put on size now.
IMG_20201020_193118631.jpg
IMG_20201020_193130994.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The 75 gallon RTM home was replaced by a 90. I just need to do the swap and move the fish over. Been debating what fish will get a permanent home in the 90. I like the thought of a parachromis fish but still not 100% on an RTM... I kind of want to try a jaguar. Ugh, I hate this. I need to decide what to do with this tank.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My advice would be to avoid jags. Their personality is my least favorite of the parachromis and almost all , when fully grown 13-14” develop a hump in their back that reminds me of spawning salmon.... haha
The 75 gallon RTM home was replaced by a 90. I just need to do the swap and move the fish over. Been debating what fish will get a permanent home in the 90. I like the thought of a parachromis fish but still not 100% on an RTM... I kind of want to try a jaguar. Ugh, I hate this. I need to decide what to do with this tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that @lloyd378, never really got to see a jags personality. And I know what you mean about the hump back thing, I see that trait in big old Dempseys too. Not attractive!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that @lloyd378, never really got to see a jags personality. And I know what you mean about the hump back thing, I see that trait in big old Dempseys too. Not attractive!

On a side note, I am getting a jag X Dovii from a local hobbyist from sequim. He had an accidental spawning. He’s been raising them up and offered me one when he brings my bucket back. I should get it next weekend

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The RTM are getting restless in the 65B and the aggression is showing toward the weakly newly acquired angelfish. They have been beating on it. So I am going forward with the tank swap. Pulling out the 75g and putting in a 90.
IMG_20201026_140524863(1).jpg
New 90 going in as RTM home
IMG_20201026_114523155.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I really like these tanks, they are Aquarium Masters brand. They use a nice thickness of glass with good looking edges and tempered glass on bottom, front and back. Black silicone is also used and all seams are very nicely done. I picked these up from Tropical Fish World in Bonney Lake.

FishBeast

I really like these tanks, they are Aquarium Masters brand. They use a nice thickness of glass with good looking edges and tempered glass on bottom, front and back. Black silicone is also used and all seams are very nicely done. I picked these up from Tropical Fish World in Bonney Lake.
Nice! Good to know they're fully stocked and operational. I loved going to their old location. They do have a nice selection of tanks.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! Good to know they're fully stocked and operational. I loved going to their old location. They do have a nice selection of tanks.
Ive posted a couple of positive reviews especially when it comes to tank price. They really are pretty reasonable for bigger tanks like this. Sadly no more room in the garage so this is it, lol.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Ive posted a couple of positive reviews especially when it comes to tank price. They really are pretty reasonable for bigger tanks like this. Sadly no more room in the garage so this is it, lol.
Move the cars to the driveway... :D:D:D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Move the cars to the driveway... :D:D:D
lol

That reminds me of my last home. We had just moved in my 210 gallon tank with a bit of difficulty due to some architectural issues with the house. I say to the wife ‘well, thats it, thats the biggest tank I will be able to get in here’. My friend says ‘No, we can get a bigger one in, just need to pop this window out’. I thought my wife was gonna kill him, lol. But that’s what good friends do, come up with great ideas!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im guessing the largest one is male, but not seeing spots yet on gill plates so a bit more time needed. These little guys seem pretty bold and are feeding nicely and putting on size. I started them on Hikari micro pellets but have transitioned them to a slightly bigger pellet, Omega One color mini pellets. I always found Omega one to be a great food to put size on small fish. I feel like I will see a burst of growth over the next month and likely be able to sex the largest one.