Parachromis project (RTM)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Newest tankmate to the RTM added today. Was called an "Asian spot pleco"... lol. I hate"common" or made up names. This one should be a L001 pleco (Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus), or gold spot. A sailfin type that gets about 11"
IMG_20201101_161204171.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! Where did you find it at?
Midway for $4.99. Great price, normally double that price. I was debating starting it out in the 65B with the “community” but decided it would make more sense to grow it out from small with the RTM so it would just be used to it as a tankmate. Hopefully the theory works.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Great pic!

I typically only do sailfins, and my favorite type of sailfin used to be sold as a “marble horn”, unfortunately that was just a trade name and I haven’t been able to figure out the scientific name nor have I seen one forsale since the wild side closed down like 12 years ago

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thats the problem with the generic names, it could get applied to many types of pleco. I think my old L001 was labeled as a “horned” pleco due to the nasal appendage. But the L083 gibbiceps shares the same feature and is also a sailfin.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Still saying female!!!! Basing on lack of spots and dorsal fin being rounded .
It’s great looking even if I’m wrong ( plus I think with this species the females actually look better than the males

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Still saying female!!!! Basing on lack of spots and dorsal fin being rounded .
It’s great looking even if I’m wrong ( plus I think with this species the females actually look better than the males
Im having a hard time capturing a good pic that shows off the fishes colors and spots. The more I zoom in the more washed out it looks. This is with a phone that has a mediocre camera. I do see a bit of color/spotting on the gill plate but not distinctive enough to call it spots or just color coming in.

I will say that it has a great personality and is very outgoing. Will be a great wet pet if it keeps the personality.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Borrowed a picture from @lloyd378 of his male since its the papa of mine. Just wanted it in this thread for comparison pics with mine as it grows.
B14887CD-1573-45E3-B128-FB4C1E82BFE8.jpeg
My largest one is really showing attitude! Does not like its siblings and is growing up quickly. Dorsal fin still rounded looking and not looking like its getting pointed but I do think Im seeing some spotting on gill plates so I am leaning towards male still.

While its a little jerk with its siblings it has ignored the small (2”) L001 sailfin, medium (4”) bristle nosed, and 12” rhino plecos. I was hoping for an RTM male and a pleco as permanent tankmates.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A couple update pics
IMG_20201226_092532609.jpg The largest one is twice the size of the others
IMG_20201226_092430979.jpg
IMG_20201226_092551177_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Update pics of the largest one. Generally when I see growth at the rate I do with this one I would usually say male... but lack of spotting on gill plate and a couple other things make me think female. Color is starting to come in and for how much larger it is than the 2 others it is not overly aggressive yet.
IMG_20210119_090544437(1).jpg
IMG_20210119_091152933.jpg