My fish room and new 300 gal aquarium

Madness

Staff member
OK, this is the start of my blog on my new fish room. Right now I have 2- 135gal and 3- 55gal tanks in my garage. But keeping the temps up has been a chore this winter. So, I am turning the back of my garage into my fish room/office. I will update my progress. I recently had another back surgery so this may be a slow process. I am going to have to rely on my boys to do most of the work. I have a 2 car garage, so I am building a wall across the back. I should still be able to park my car in one side of it.

The 300 gal tank, I am getting from a gentleman out here by me. A screaming deal I might add. It includes a beautiful breeding pair of Dovi. The male is about 14" and the female 8". Since Ike @ Aquarium Paradise isn't spawning anymore, I figure that I can take over the Dovi breeding in the area. :whistle: I will be getting about 100 of their fry also. Did I say, "A SCREAMING DEAL" :affraid:

So I will start by taking pictures of the tanks and my garage now. And then update as I go. Hopefully being ready to atleast move the 300 in, put it in place, set it up in about 3 weeks or so, and then finish the room. I think I am going to do it that way to make it easier to get it in. NOW, if I have to remove it some day, :scratch: I'm going to have to plan for that one. :study:

If any of you are interested in some Dovi, You know where to come. :punk:

Bassman42

Wow finally got in to the big tanks, right on. Im my opion I would ditch the Dovii and put your Amp. collection in there or even your Parachromis collection, just my opion. Great score though!!

Madness

Staff member
Oh ya I am Bassman Matt :), the 300 is getting my collection and switching places with the Dovi. The Dovi for now will get the 135 all to them selves.

Madness

Staff member
Here are a couple pics of the disaster I call, my garage. :lol!:

Doing a quick water change today, and decided to take a couple pics of what it looks like now. Boy, with my recent back surgery, I have not been up on my water changes. They really needed it and a good cleanin today.

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Madness

Staff member
Adonijah said:
What kind of system do you use to get water back into the tank?
Right now I use barrels, I add chemicals and salt to the barrels, fill them up, and let sit for a day, then fill up my tanks. I am in the process of designing a way to do it differently once my room is built. I am going to have a 275 gallon water container that I will use along with a pump and other things. Still trying to design it. I'm going to install drain pipes and a water spigot. Still really trying to design the easiest way possible.

Madness

Staff member
Storage shed is being delivered next week. Picked up insulation and some rock today, and picking up the wood on Monday or Tuesday. Can't really start till the shed gets here so that I can get this crap out of my way. (well, out of my kids way. They are going to have to do most of the work) I'm stoked and ready to go.

And thank GOD for Craigslist. I can't believe how much you can save, and what people give away. I am picking up 110 - 2 x 4 x 8', 12 - 4 x 4 x 8' all for less than $100. The insulation and rock I got today, 240' of wall insul and 10 sheets of 1/2" rock for $50. If you look long and hard enough, you will find almost anything.

Next post I hope to have sheet rock on the existing garage walls, and half of the new wall built and rocked and painted. Then I will build the shelf that the 300 will go on, along with my 135. Once those are done, it will be time to move the tank in. I will keep updating as we go.

:D

Madness

Staff member
Time for an update. Thanks to the weather, my shed didnt show up till this past Saturday. And my boys are learning, so it's moving a bit slower than expected. Since I started this blog, I have acquired/traded for, a 210 gal to go next to my 300.

The boys have cleaned out the one side of the garage, and have insulated the walls, and ran new electrical for outlets and lighting. Hopefully rock will be up on exterior walls by Friday, along with part of the new wall. :punk:

I really need to get this going. My fish are getting restless in my 135. I think they know that they are getting a new home.

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Madness

Staff member
Time for an update. Since the last pic, I have completed the rock, mud, and paint. Built the stand to hold both the 300 and a 210. (this table could hold a truck, I know I went to beefy, but this baby is not coming down in any earthquake) lol

I only have about 4' of the dividing wall done cause I have tanks in the way. So I will be installing the 300 & 210, getting them up and running and do a big fish relocation adventure. :) Then I will move the existing tanks out of the way, and finish the remaining wall.

The 210 is now up in place, and today I will be putting in the substrate and filling w/water. Will be picking up the 300 next Saturday, (any volunteers? Could use about 3-4 people and a large truck. The tank comes with a stand that I will be putting in storage for a while)

Well time for some updated pics:

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Here's a pic of the 300 that I will be picking up Saturday. And my new wild caught Dovi.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Madness

Staff member
Well got the 210 up and going. Time to clear some room to bring in the 300 this weekend. Also picked up a 120 acrylic, to put under the 210. Nothing fancy, it came with some beautiful umbee youths, ranging from 2" to 5". So I stuck my 5 in with them. Also came with a breeding pair of RTM's. The male looks OK, but the female is beautiful. And so red, almost Festae like.

The challenge now is, what fish to stick in what tank? Hmmmmm :scratch:

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Madness

Staff member
Time for an update. Moved in the 300 last weekend. Used an existing Fx5 that was already running on another tank, and temporarly hung an AquaClear 110 that was on an existing tank on the front, to help cycle the tank quicker.

So now my 135 is empty, and removed my pikes, Kraussi, and Salvini from the other 135. (they were getting to big for the grow out tank) So here is how I split it up. I put the larger more aggressive Cichs in the 300 and the lesser aggressive in the 210.

Here is the breakdown.
300 gal. Avg size 6+"
2-Amph. Hogaboomarum M&F
1-White/Org Red Devil M
1-Red barred Red Devil M
2-Cich Grammodes M&F
2- Para Loisellei M&F
2-Caquetaia Kraussi sex unknown yet
3-Cich Urophthalmus 2M&F
2-Texas Herichthys Cyanoguttatus 2M
1-Herichthys Carpintis F i think
1-Striped Raphael Catfish
1-Pleco
2-Org Pikes
3-Red finned Botia loaches

210gal. Avg size 3+"
3-Vieja Argentea sex unknown
2-Vieja Regani sex unknown
3-Vieja Maculicauda sex unknown
4-Astatheros Nourissati sex unknown
4-Amph. Rytisma sex unknown
2-Tomocichla Sieboldii sex unknown
2-Paraneetroplus Gibbicep sex unknown
2-Cich Salvini M&F
2-Herichthys Carpintis (escondido) sex unknown
4-Tiger loaches
1-Choco Pleco

Will add pictures later.

Madness

Staff member
Here are some pics. Hopefully!!!! :evil: My computer has been running real slow lately. :(

Finally emptied out the 135 that is in the way of my wall, so tomorrow I will be relocating the 135 to storage, and start building the wall across the garage. Still have 2 55gal tanks in the way of another section of wall. DAMN!! Who's idea was this anyway? lol I should finally be done and ready by next Winter. :)

My male Hoga spawned with my Red-Red Devil the other day. Will upload some pics of them later. And I also hope to get pics of my new Nourissati's, they look real nice. Also will try and get some pics of my Festae pair. The male is still smacking around the female, so they don't come out much. I picked these two beauties up from Chevylife. Soon I will get pics. Also will try and get pics up of my mated pair of RTM's. Right now the female is in quarantine. She got the BLEEP beat out of her by my Uro.

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Madness

Staff member
Just spent some time taking pictures. You can do this when your recovering from surgery, and have absolutely nothing to do. :punk:

I wont post many pics here of my fish, cause this is a blog of my room. :) The remainder of my updated pics will be at:
http://www.wafishbox.com/t1250-my-fish-family-updated

Male Hoga and female Devil w/eggs
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Male Festae
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
One of the Nourassati. It is the one at the bottom.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Male Dovi
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
One of the Tiger Loaches (these guys are a kick to watch. Constantly chasing each other. You have to be careful though, if you have fish that are easily stressed, these guys will drive them to death. Not to mention, these loaches are very aggressive and will hold there own.)
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
Veija Argentea
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Thanks for following along, and hope your enjoying this right along with me.