LJ's 15 column shrimp tank

Mmmyep, them Cherries breed like rabbits :D
30992464.jpg

pbmax

Indeed. Mine are breeding in the unheated, unfiltered, nearly opaque green (oopsie...) 2.5g Walstad on my window sill. For the longest time the shrimplets didn't survive, but now they are :cyclops:

pbmax

And congrats! Cherries are great :) Low maintenance and easy to keep happy. Now you need some nettle leaves... ;) They don't pollute the water and shrimp devour them.

pbmax

Yup, stinging nettles. I recommend shorts, t-shirt, and a gas trimmer for harvesting (wear your safety glasses, but leave the gloves off for best results). :)

I need to go harvest another batch... before the county comes out and mows the edge of the woods across the street. I have a decent number in the wooded area of my back yard too.

binbin9

Saw some the other day on my hike and I wanted to pluck some up to take home. I had on your "recommended" outfit and was like uh uh maybe next time when i come prepared with my space suit.

pbmax

Nettle leaves and mosura excel are the only things I feed my 3g m. minuta-carpeted 3g RCS tank. Anything else causes a green water explosion.

Supposedly they're quite nutritious for people too. I recommend consumption without boiling first of course. ;)

Lamental Jester

So is the neetle leaves sold as tea alright to use for the shrimp? (I live in the middle of the city, not a lot of nettle growing around me)

Consumption eh? I heard it was a good exfoliant... go ahead, give it a try, rub it all over :whistle:

pbmax

I have no idea about the tea. I've only harvested them myself - I pick the leaves off and set them to dry - usually takes a couple of days. Once dry they go into a bag and are kept in a dry place.

It seems to me you should fix that whole city problem of yours. :suspect:

I would think that the tea version has caffeine in it, so it might not be suitable for shrimp. Best thing to do is to just get it in the wild.. or order some from Gigi, from Vashon Island (they're also the ones that make the black bamboo shrimp hotel thingies.)

http://www.natureinvincible.com/

pbmax

I have 60+ acres of the stuff across the street from me :D

1oz for $5 huh? I wonder how many dried leaves it would take to hit 1oz.

To quote Crazy Earl: "My time is valuable! Kinda..."

Lamental Jester

pbmax said:
Well, considering almost ALL the place-to-be LFS's in WA are within 20 min driving distance from me, I don't consider it a problem ;) Although, I do miss Clarks up in Bham

pbmax

All well and good, except it's clearly RC aircraft season now, so your silly little LFSs need not apply. :)

pbmax

Well sure, but my wife frowns on 400-size multirotors hovering in the house...

I have scared the fish and shrimp with some of my smaller multirotors ;)

Lamental Jester

Ha, I'd probably frown too!

Anyways, concerning nettles, I just realized I have some of the Gigi's Wonderfood, which has dried nettle in it along with some other goodies. Aquarium Co-Op (which is only a 15-20 minute drive ;)) carries it too, so I guess I'll just use that

BillHN

pbmax said:
I have no idea about the tea. I've only harvested them myself - I pick the leaves off and set them to dry - usually takes a couple of days. Once dry they go into a bag and are kept in a dry place.

Speaking of which...
I need to come for a visit and get some leaves!