Let's Talk About Fish Food

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I decided to try something new on my fish and bought some Tetra Color Crisps. Very impressed with how the fish go for it. Also it is a little more durable than a standard flake so there does not seem to be as much wasted food. I have decide to try some different types of food on my fish in an endeavor to make them less picky.

Ratlova30

I have a small can of those, although it's almost empty. My fish seem to enjoy them too but the next can of flake I buy will be of a higher quality brand.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My fish will be eating flake for a very short period of time. They will be moved on to pellets as soon as possible. The pellets are just slightly large for them at this point so I decided to mix in the flake. I really like the Omega One products and if I were to feed flake I would use it.

TerenceH

My fish are not fond of the Tetra products. I end feeding it to the worms that I feed to my fish. The problem is I have oodles of it. The worms love it and the fish love the worms so I guess it is not that big of a problem.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My last group of fish did not like brine shrimp or hikari products. This time around I might try to get a lot more variety in their diet by mixing brands together to feed.

Madness

Staff member
Well, they should love everything, cause I fed them at least a dozen or more different foods. Flakes, freeze dried, frozen, home made, pellets (hikari 6 diff types, nls, xtreame, omega, tetra, azoo, 3 more brands that i buy in bulk, gold fish vegies and fruits) They shouldn't be too picky. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The fish are doing well with the Tetra Color Crisps, Omega One small pellet (slightly too big), frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms and small earthworms.

The only ones seeming to have issues are the zonatus which hides after be bashed his head in a mad dash. He hides by the spraybars near the top. The other one is the bocourti which swims along the back wall like it is fascinated swimming with its reflection, not showing interest in anything right now. (ate earthworms the first night)

Still trying to get the fish to stop getting spooked so easily. The hoga and red devils are still real jumpy and they get the silver dollars and others going. The synspilum is totally turning out awesome, very bold, personable and eats like a pig. :pig:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I decided to order Xtreme to try on my little fish. I had given my last batch away because it was too little for my fish. Who knew I would be back in the position that I was raising little fish again?

Here is an interesting chart on fish food: http://www.xtremeaquaticfoods.com/images/competition_comparison.pdf

Of course each company has its own way to make their product look better. I did find it interesting that the product I normally use (Omega One) had all the "good" ingredients.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
fishman09 said:
the ingredients list on omega one are legit. love all the whole foods listed. my fish love it
Unless you talk with RD, who has nothing but bad to say about it!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
It was $10 for half a pound of Pee Wee, included free shipping. Went through the facebook link and it is supposed to be a first time trial deal.

Madness

Staff member
Speaking of food. I was on Kens fish website, http://www.kensfish.com/index.html

I was amazed out the prices. I usually buy food from Pet Mountain, but Kens prices are equal to or better than. Any of you looking to order some food, check him out and if you want lets get a group buy. His shipping is a bit high. He even has great prices on other things, like heaters etc...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Kens price are good. Just have to factor in shipping cost. If Xtreme turns out well I might just order the stuff in bigger containers from Ken's.

Betty

Staff member
I guess I was unlucky with my order from Ken's. I won't order from him ever again after my experience. :x I won't bother with the details since everyone else seems to have no problems with their orders from him, but I was quite frustrated and pissed off!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have ordered only one time in the past and did not have any issue. Then again it was some part or something was not a food purchase. Looks like some of the bulk bagged foods could be an issue with the wrong item being sent or damage occurring since it is in a bag as opposed a hard container.

They are cheaper on the Xtreme foods than to order from the facebook link approved vendor.

TerenceH

Betty said:
I guess I was unlucky with my order from Ken's. I won't order from him ever again after my experience. :x I won't bother with the details since everyone else seems to have no problems with their orders from him, but I was quite frustrated and pissed off!

I would like to know what went down. Others experiences are always valuable

madness said:
Speaking of food. I was on Kens fish website, http://www.kensfish.com/index.html

I was amazed out the prices. I usually buy food from Pet Mountain, but Kens prices are equal to or better than. Any of you looking to order some food, check him out and if you want lets get a group buy. His shipping is a bit high. He even has great prices on other things, like heaters etc...
I posted about group buy from him several months not a single response.

Madness

Staff member
TerenceH said:
Betty said:

I would like to know what went down. Others experiences are always valuable

madness said:

Sorry, I personally didnt need any food at that time.

Betty, please inform us. I have never bought anything from Ken. I just recently looked at his site.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
TerenceH said:
For the savings of $4-$5 in shipping I would spend that in gas going up to Seattle, so I did not join up in the buy.

As for live foods, I use earthworms, nightcrawlers and crickets. Live brine shrimp are coming in season so I might get a few before my fish get too big to eat them.

I do use frozen foods. I have used brine shrimp, glass worms, blood worms, tubifex worms, beef heart, a frozen freshwater medley.