lets see some full tank shots.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Wow, Betty those are beautiful tanks and the fish just "pop" with the dark backdrops. Very nice! :cheers:

Betty

Staff member
Thanks Anthraxx. I've been thinking about it... :) . A couple more large pieces might look nice in my 60 gallon.

I'm not sure where Mountlake is -- isn't it up north? I'm down south of Tacoma.

Thanks, DMD.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Anthraxx said:
god you guys need to perhaps get a comedy tour going. what with all these witty retorts. fishbox comedy tour? naw thats a crummy name. lets see if any of you "funny guys" can come up with a better name.
There are a few guys that beat us to it: Blue Collar Comedy Tour

Anthraxx

yeah but they stopped being funny quite a long time ago DMD. you guys however still crack me up on the regular.. :p

@ betty: o well then feel free to jump on board with me down south here. i wasnt sure where mckenna was TBH. its up to you but its well worth the trip. even if ur stuck with a bunch of male fish geeks.. :laughhard:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thats a lot of cichlid stones!

Nice set up and fish. :spoton:

A

Anonymous

Wow really nice tanks betty... I really like your style.

Yours is also rad stierwalt, I really like cichlid stones.

This is what I was talkin about, really nice tanks everyone. Keep them coming.

Betty

Staff member
My cave spawning cichlids love those cichlid stones. Many babies have been raised in them. :spoton:

Here are a few more of my tanks.

75 gallon mixed Malawi
cd1ca3da.jpg

75 gallon tropheus (cherry spot)
97bca67f.jpg

20 gallon A. calvus
d8e05ab8.jpg

20 gallon N. leleupi
dad72f6c.jpg

10 gallon N. brevis. My new shells came in, so I'll be redoing this tank.
cf381510.jpg

These two tanks are temporarily holding P. multicolor victoriae; one male per tank. They were growing out together, but are so aggressive I was afraid they were going to kill each other. The first tank has two L134 plecos in it.
3bae229a.jpg

2c9abec8.jpg

I think that's all of the African tanks. :9*:

JimA

I would like to kow what you are using for lighting on the mixed and tropheus tanks? Great shots.

A

Anonymous

Fishman, supposed to be african cichlids... but nice tanks.

@ betty, wow I'm blown away you have some of the best looking african tanks I have ever seen. I bet you would do very well in the tank of the month contests on mfk.

@ larry come on man, I want to see.. this thread was started as a sly way for me to get to see your tanks. You see anthraxx was telling me you use your rock very well. Don't make me beg.. I totally will.

Betty

Staff member
Please, Larry...
51.gif

Jim, the lighting on those two tanks are just the cheap Coralife T5s. Like these --> www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Coralife. Mine work fine, but I've heard a lot of complaints about them, so won't recommend them.

larry.beck

I just took about 20 shots of my Tang tank but none of them are coming out. Same settings I use for my fish closeups, but they obviously don't work well for FTS. Betty, what settings are you using on yours? I had it at about F2.8, ISO 80, flash off. When I shoot individual fish I shoot flash on, but for a FTS it just creates a huge flash spot on the glass

Anthraxx

shoot from an angle.. so the flash doesnt show up on the glass. the reflection is something to avoid. other then that not many tips i could toss you. besides turn off all other lighting but the tank itself. most of them will interfere with your full tank shots. clearly u can see what happens when u dont do this (my pics) lol GL larry i look forward to seeing your tanks whether they look good or not

Betty

Staff member
Larry, I have absolutely no knowledge of cameras! I just set it to automatic and let the camera choose the settings.

For my tank shots, I turn off the flash and try to hold the camera still. (Don't have a tripod.) I also try not to have lights from the room reflecting on the tank glass. Turn off the lights or cover windows during daylight.

The fish won't be in focus, but without the camera flash, you won't have that terrible reflection that washes everything out. And like Anthraxx said, if you want to use the flash, try it at an angle.

I just reread your post, Larry and see that you tried it with no flash. I'll look at the info on my pictures and see what the settings were and let you know. . .

Exposure Time: 0.167 s (1/6)

Aperture: f/3.8

ISO Equiv.: 800

larry.beck

Ah, well I see that you're using a medium ISO and I was using very low speed, so I'll try to give that a shot tonight. I have a problem in that the rooms in my house have HUGE windows (complete walls of windows) so I can't shoot at all during the day, and even during the night I get some reflection from lights out on the water.

I just finished going thru all the photos of the Af. cich. tanks here and they are beautiful, you guys! I'm wondering if I wil get the same effect with a tan type substrate; not white or black. We'll just see. I will try to remember to post pix on this thread when the fish go in my 75g.

Thanks for all your pix!