Hello from Everett,Wash.

A

Anonymous

Re: Hello from Everett,Wash.

cichlid-gal said:
Wow...awesome betta bowl and beautiful plants.  Welcome to the forum :)
Thank you cichlid-gal. What Kind of Beta is your avitar? It's like silvery gold color?

CrazedAce

I love that bowl! Definitely an amazing aquascape. Welcome to FishBox, we are here to help you with your addiction... I mean hobby... :spoton: 

cichlid-gal

fishNAbowl said:
cichlid-gal said:
Wow...awesome betta bowl and beautiful plants.  Welcome to the forum :)
Thank you cichlid-gal. What Kind of Beta is your avitar? It's like silvery gold color?
I'm thinking he is a mustard gas but he could be a chocolate also. I have been wanting to breed him but need to get all my stuff ready to do it. Live foods are the biggest problem so I'm trying to get those figured out.

A

Anonymous

cichlid-gal said:
I'm thinking he is a mustard gas but he could be a chocolate also.  I have been wanting to breed him but need to get all my stuff ready to do it.  Live foods are the biggest problem so I'm trying to get those figured out.
Interesting, I have never seen this color. on my iPad the fish looks gold & the body is kind of chrome in color....

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
Welcome! Yay another member from Everett! That's awesome! :Dlovely bowl, with great growth!
CrazedAce said:
I love that bowl! Definitely an amazing aquascape. Welcome to FishBox, we are here to help you with your addiction... I mean hobby... :spoton: 
Thanks guys!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

what's that underwater grass called? is it the one that aquarium co-op named above?  Id like to grow some grass in mine too

A

Anonymous

InfamousRedlineZ said:
wow thats the best bowl I have ever seen! haha keep it up and welcome!
Thanks!!

lloyd378 said:
what's that underwater grass called? is it the one that aquarium co-op named above?  Id like to grow some grass in mine too

Hi Lloyd387,
I do not know the name of the matting plant. Heck I didn't know the name of the other until Aquarium Co-Op pointed it out. It was passed down to me by a friend along with a few others "to try". I have had to pull a bunch out, later keeping the slowest growing plants for less maintenance. I basically started with a large handful, the plant hasn't had to grow much to fill the gaps.

A

Anonymous

Ok. Wifey wants one. Cause I showed your fishbowl to her and she would like one in her office. PM me of what steps you did and plants you used. How long you cycled before fish. Thanks.

cichlid-gal

fishNAbowl said:
cichlid-gal said:
I'm thinking he is a mustard gas but he could be a chocolate also.  I have been wanting to breed him but need to get all my stuff ready to do it.  Live foods are the biggest problem so I'm trying to get those figured out.
Interesting, I have never seen this color. on my iPad the fish looks gold & the body is kind of chrome in color....
When this pic was taken he had more silver in the body...today he has more brown to him. I'll try to get some decent updated pics of him and send you one. He's still beautiful and even more so I think. His name is Midas ... for the gold :) 

A

Anonymous

SiRWesDragon said:
Ok. Wifey wants one. Cause I showed your fishbowl to her and she would like one in her office. PM me of what steps you did and plants you used. How long you cycled before fish. Thanks.
Thank you for your interest SirWesDragon, PM sent... I will add that I have made specialized cleaning tools to clean the bowel. Every once in a while a hard spotty green algae develops on the glass. I have a pair of long nosed surgical clamps that I have put a small piece of sponge scrubber into so I am able to reach in and kind of scrub the glass. I do this about once a month.

cichlid-gal said:
 I'll try to get some decent updated pics of him and send you one.  He's still beautiful and even more so I think.  His name is Midas ... for the gold :) 
Please do :)

Even though I am attached to my beautiful Beta the thought of my male being gold in color would be awesome!

A

Anonymous

Thanks FishNAbowl. Wifey will appreciate the hobby like I do. Well not that much. Im addicted to this hobby. I want more. :twisted: 

A

Anonymous

SiRWesDragon said:
Thanks FishNAbowl.  Wifey will appreciate the hobby like I do. Well not that much.  Im addicted to this hobby. I want more. :twisted: 
Well, I hope you have success with the bowl. I strongly believe there was a level of luck thats contributed to this set up.

I wasn't going to admit this but I do have a tank I started. It's a 29 gallon but it is nasty. It has this weird green filmy stuff all over it & stinks :( No matter what i do it will not clear up. I am on the verge of draining it & throwing in the towel. This is why I mentioned getting another bowel earlier because this one turned out so well.

Gryphon

fishNAbowl said:
Well, I hope you have success with the bowl. I strongly believe there was a level of luck thats contributed to this set up.

I wasn't going to admit this but I do have a tank I started. It's a 29 gallon but it is nasty. It has this weird green filmy stuff all over it & stinks :( No matter what i do it will not clear up. I am on the verge of draining it & throwing in the towel. This is why I mentioned getting another bowel earlier because this one turned out so well.
Sounds like you have an algae problem, scrubbing will remove it for a while, but it feeds off the nitrates in your water. Try scrubbing and siphoning up what comes off the next time you go to do a water change.

pbmax

Gryphon said:
fishNAbowl said:

Sounds like you have an algae problem, scrubbing will remove it for a while, but it feeds off the nitrates in your water. Try scrubbing and siphoning up what comes off the next time you go to do a water change.
If it's a bright green color then it could be blue-green algae - cyanobacteria. In this case it thrives in low nitrate situations and can be quite difficult to get rid of. It stinks. :suspect: 

A

Anonymous

pbmax said:
If it's a bright green color then it could be blue-green algae - cyanobacteria.  In this case it thrives in low nitrate situations and can be quite difficult to get rid of.  It stinks. :suspect: 
Just did some reading... This is it- cynobacteria, I'm researching remedies now.

null_zps285703ed.jpg

Nasty stinky stuff...